Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2017 Defensive Ends (Underclassman)

Should have known the matchup between Carl Lawson and Alabama would be a dud. He rarely had an opportunity to make a play. One of those opportunities, he blew it on a lost contain.

Thought he played very tight for probably 50 minutes of the ball game until the very end when the game was over and he just played angry and wanted to make his mark somehow. Alabama forces players to think about so many options and angles, Lawson could never just go out and play. And he rarely faced Cam Robinson.

Too bad. Still one of my favorites. I do wonder if I should have Charles Harris above him though.

Mind you, that's not because of the Bama game. It just seems to me that Lawson looks a bit sluggish and hesitant this year in general, like he might have gained a little too much weight or something. I like both players a whole lot anyway. Charles Harris made Dan Skipper look borderline undraftable. I legitimately wonder if Jeremy Sprinkle wouldn't have played left tackle better that day. Harris is so jazzed up at all times, jittery, explosive guy. It may fit better for Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forrest Lamp thoroughly dominated Jaylon Ferguson. It wasn't one of those things where the play calling just didn't give Ferguson a chance, or they didn't match up on each other enough, nor was it something where the QB just got the ball out too fast for Ferguson to do anything. This was snap for snap, matchup for matchup, Ferguson going 0-for-All against Lamp, who looked like a 1st round pick. The whole game was chalk full of above-and-beyond execution by Lamp. Every block had a little something extra to it that helps you win ball games.

One of the 3-4 defenses out there will be getting a nice player in Stanford DL Solomon Thomas if he comes out. Absolutely brutal upper body strength and long arms, good hands, ideal mobility for the chase game as well. A bit a tweener for a 4-3 defense but starts to make more sense as a 3-4 DE.

Another one that probably doesn't declare, but Ja'Von Rolland-Jones is a really nice player - consistent, disruptive, nice burst. He's just a little smaller than you'd like.

JJ Watt comparisons aside, Solomon Thomas is very talented. He looks strong and athletic enough to excel in odd or even fronts.

If I were a 4-3 team though I would have some issues with Solomon Thomas. You'd need him to get bigger to play inside, and you can't be certain he rushes the passer well from outside. I love the guy but I probably only feel like it's a home run pick for me if I know my system translates to his tape and his strengths.

If I were a 4-3 team though I would have some issues with Solomon Thomas. You'd need him to get bigger to play inside, and you can't be certain he rushes the passer well from outside. I love the guy but I probably only feel like it's a home run pick for me if I know my system translates to his tape and his strengths.

I'd imagine him playing a role similar to Trey Flowers.

I'd also be remiss here if I didn't praise Marquis Haynes while I'm on the subject. That kid's functional football strength is off the charts. The way this kid is able to bull rush tackles like Cam Robinson and Roderick Johnson who outweigh him by 80 pounds is absolutely incredible. He made Johnson look completely undraftable. Haynes is a solid, solid player. No doubt about it. If he was 25 or 30 pounds heavier, he'd be right there with Barnett and Lawson. It's only the lack of bulk that they have keeping him from that tier as far as I'm concerned.

Slimm, think Haynes could work as a 4-3 Sam backer?

If you want a 3-4 de, I'm not sure there's anyone I'd want more than Thomas. In a 4-3, i agree it's not so clear but with that talent, motor and intelligence, his floor is ridiculously high in any scheme. Absolutely love watching him.

Slimm, think Haynes could work as a 4-3 Sam backer?

I think it's worth a try with him, because linebacker is really his only shot at a full time role on defense at the next level. Otherwise he'll just be a spot rusher because he simply doesn't have the size or bulk to line up down after down on the LOS in the NFL. It'll take some time and you'll have to work with him on it, but he has flashed the ability to drop into coverage and look good doing it. He did against Arkansas and got an interception. The issue is he's not used to doing it so it'll take time to get his technique right and not play so high and off balance when he drops into coverage.

Pretty sure we'll see him back in an Ole Miss uniform for his senior season.

Either way, I've watched that kid make a ton of plays in the SEC over the past 3 years. Always, always gets pressure on the quarterback and it usually results in a forced fumble when he arrives. He's forced 9 fumbles over the past 3 years.

Really, he's unlikely to come out? Wow, I assumed he would definitely declare given the amount of good tape he has over the years.

Is Al-Quadin Muhammad worth a 7th round flier? He has great talent but a year off from football hurts

Is Al-Quadin Muhammad worth a 7th round flier? He has great talent but a year off from football hurts

Definitely. I forgot about him and didn't realize he was in this class, as opposed to transferring somewhere.

In 2015 he was superior to Chad Thomas and it wasn't particularly close. Lean but nasty with a closing burst. Always a touted player, not somebody who came out of nowhere.

I didn't really pay attention to what his off the field problems were. I'm not even going to look it up. He did have issues with eligibility more than once before getting kicked off the team. I don't like jerks on the roster so he'd have to be checked out. Mostly I don't like jerks or blank stare types when you have to invest a high pick on them. That certainly wouldn't be the case here.

Back
Top Bottom