Sporting News Ranks The Fins18QBs In 18Yrs Since Marino | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sporting News Ranks The Fins18QBs In 18Yrs Since Marino

My three are...Tannehill, Pennington & Fiedler.

I believe we still have not seen Tannehill's ceiling yet, we were about to see it this year, but now, we don't know if we will ever see how good Tannehill could have been, even if he is able to come back healthy...hopefully we still do.

Pennington is behind Tannehill because as accurate and smart a QB as he was, he was very limited deep, which allowed teams to game plan better against him if the running game wasn't working.

Fieldler is behind because he really was not close to as talented as the 1st two, but he was not horrible as some say, he just was not the QB you could rely on if you fell too far behind in the 4th quarter. He was a good QB to have if you had a running game, and a good defense. Though where he threw the passes at times was pretty horrible, he still was able to find open receivers, and at least give them a chance to make plays...as long as they did not get killed.

I really don't care how you rank QBs and what measures you are taking. If you want to go into a nitty gritty you have to start evaluating each opponent and their strength at that time we faced them.

I am not going into a Tannehill debate with you. He hasn't accomplished anything yet and therefore the #3 spot is OK. If we would have made the playoffs in 2013 when we blew the games against the Bills and Jets you'd have a case for a #1 ranking.

Archie Manning? Really? Couldn't you have at least picked a QB from the 50s and 60s.

Well then if making the playoffs is your number 1 consideration, who gets credit for '16? Tannehill, 8-5 going down while putting up elite 7-1 numbers or Matt Moore going 2-1?

If it's Matt Moore then he's comparable to Pennington in terms of losing big in the postseason and perhaps better considering in '11 how he brought a demoralized team back to respectability going 6-6. And if we're counting success in the postseason based on snaps from center, then I agree with @fishfanmiami that considering the success of direct snaps Ronnie Brown took, he should at least be sharing that best QB designation with Noodle. Penny faced 4 top ten scoring defenses in 08 (Ravens 2x, and won once) so there's that too.

Oh and if Archie, who is disputably the 2nd best Manning despite what he had to work with is unacceptable, then please make a case for Sanchez being 2nd best jets QB per his conference losses vs Ken O'Brien or Vinnie Testaverde who did less..

IMO, Pennington gets way too much credit for his dinks and dunks when the WC got us into the postseason where some people forget how the Ravens humiliated him and the Fins. Also the glow of 08 tends to overshadow the 0-3 stink of 09.

Kind of interesting that if you look at Tannehill and Pennington career stats they are very similar in a lot of categories.

Actually had about the same number of throws/completions/td/ints. Very close.

I thought what Pennington did well was limit mistakes throwing only 7 picks in 2008 with 19 TD passes. Our turnover margin that year was excellent and a big reason we got to the playoffs. Unfortunately the same can not be said for our game vs Baltimore.
Remember we were coming off a 1 and 15 season so that was one hell of a turn around.
We picked him up late in the off season and I would say if not with the QB's we had there would have been no playoffs and probably no winning season IMO.

I give him lots of credit for that noodle arm and all :)

1. Tannehill

BIG GAP

2 - 3. Argument for Pennington or Fiedler. Both delivered better than expected results given their limited physical capabilities.
4-18. Irrelevant

Any list not starting with RT can't be considered accurate.

1. Tannehill
2. Fiedler
That's about all worth mentioning.

Never understand why Frerotte doesn't get as much love as the Noodle, had about as much success.

Well then if making the playoffs is your number 1 consideration, who gets credit for '16? Tannehill, 8-5 going down while putting up elite 7-1 numbers or Matt Moore going 2-1?

If it's Matt Moore then he's comparable to Pennington in terms of losing big in the postseason and perhaps better considering in '11 how he brought a demoralized team back to respectability going 6-6. And if we're counting success in the postseason based on snaps from center, then I agree with @fishfanmiami that considering the success of direct snaps Ronnie Brown took, he should at least be sharing that best QB designation with Noodle. Penny faced 4 top ten scoring defenses in 08 (Ravens 2x, and won once) so there's that too.

Oh and if Archie, who is disputably the 2nd best Manning despite what he had to work with is unacceptable, then please make a case for Sanchez being 2nd best jets QB per his conference losses vs Ken O'Brien or Vinnie Testaverde who did less..

IMO, Pennington gets way too much credit for his dinks and dunks when the WC got us into the postseason where some people forget how the Ravens humiliated him and the Fins. Also the glow of 08 tends to overshadow the 0-3 stink of 09.

You haven't read my post. My main basis was a full season as a starter. Neither Moore nor Tannehill qualifies for that. So for as much as I care you can assign credit for last year the way you want to: give them both credit, one more, one less or none at all. I do not care because we do not know if we would have made the playoffs if either one would have played the whole season.

Like I told you before I am not engaging with you a Tannehill debate and I for sure will not engage in a Sanchez or any other QB debate from any team other than the Dolphins.

It really seems of utmost importance to you that Tannehill is ranked #1 in this utterly useless stat. So why don't you just rank him #1 and be happy about it. I certainly have better things to do than sit here and argue forth and back over something which has absolutely no bearing on the Miami Dolphins in the past, present or future.

Now celebrate that #1 ranking and have a couple beers to celebrate this glorious occasion.

You haven't read my post. My main basis was a full season as a starter. Neither Moore nor Tannehill qualifies for that. So for as much as I care you can assign credit for last year the way you want to: give them both credit, one more, one less or none at all. I do not care because we do not know if we would have made the playoffs if either one would have played the whole season.

Like I told you before I am not engaging with you a Tannehill debate and I for sure will not engage in a Sanchez or any other QB debate from any team other than the Dolphins.

It really seems of utmost importance to you that Tannehill is ranked #1 in this utterly useless stat. So why don't you just rank him #1 and be happy about it. I certainly have better things to do than sit here and argue forth and back over something which has absolutely no bearing on the Miami Dolphins in the past, present or future.

Now celebrate that #1 ranking and have a couple beers to celebrate this glorious occasion.

While I may strenuously disagree with your opinion, I will defend your right to express it.

And fwiw, it's more for me as Tannehill being number 1 by default because I don't have too much use for Fiedler's underperformance given what he had to work with and support him and what I consider the emotion-driven over-value of Pennington's one year of assisted success against one of the league's easiest schedules after the 1-15 fiasco.

You need not respond unless you feel compelled to :cool

But you are correct in that it is a meaningless subjective poll, not dissimilar to the 85% of opinion-driven OPs on FH

our qbs have been awful for a lonnnnnnnnng ass time...

i'd rather go to the market and rank 18 tomatoes, but i'll keep this one in mind in case i'm bored to death in hell after a few billion years.

I have a lot of respect for Jay Fiedler, the person.

Jay Fiedler, the person, had a very difficult job -- replacing Dan Marino -- that subjected him to an inordinate amount of criticism, even when criticism of his play was warranted. He handled it with poise and with class, and never bitched about the flak he received, even when it would have been pretty justified to do so.

He was the type of guy who was a quality backup quarterback who should NOT have been starting. My criticism of Fiedler (who really did hold that team back) is tempered by the fact that it was Dave Wannstedt's freaking fault for not seeing what anyone with eyes could see, that Fiedler could make some athletic plays and was a tough leader, but was a poor thrower of the football who could be baited into terrible interceptions.

To me there is no debate who was better between Fiedler and Pennington. Pennington was very smart and very accurate, a guy who from the neck up was absolutely brilliant, and was a mechanically sound thrower. But his body was just about done at the point that he got him. Even with a bum arm, he gave us one real good year that quickly erased the stench of Failing Forward Fast, and for that I will forever love #10.

A real shame, I honestly think Chad Pennington could have been a Hall of Fame type of football player if not for his shoulder injuries. Even knowing that he would have wound up having that career with the lousy stinking Jets, I still think it's a shame. The man just had rotten luck.

I have a lot of respect for Jay Fiedler, the person.

Jay Fiedler, the person, had a very difficult job -- replacing Dan Marino -- that subjected him to an inordinate amount of criticism, even when criticism of his play was warranted. He handled it with poise and with class, and never bitched about the flak he received, even when it would have been pretty justified to do so.

He was the type of guy who was a quality backup quarterback who should NOT have been starting. My criticism of Fiedler (who really did hold that team back) is tempered by the fact that it was Dave Wannstedt's freaking fault for not seeing what anyone with eyes could see, that Fiedler could make some athletic plays and was a tough leader, but was a poor thrower of the football who could be baited into terrible interceptions.

To me there is no debate who was better between Fiedler and Pennington. Pennington was very smart and very accurate, a guy who from the neck up was absolutely brilliant, and was a mechanically sound thrower. But his body was just about done at the point that he got him. Even with a bum arm, he gave us one real good year that quickly erased the stench of Failing Forward Fast, and for that I will forever love #10.

A real shame, I honestly think Chad Pennington could have been a Hall of Fame type of football player if not for his shoulder injuries. Even knowing that he would have wound up having that career with the lousy stinking Jets, I still think it's a shame. The man just had rotten luck.

You're right. Jay was a class act, was a good soldier, teammate, gamer, never complained, and that includes some of the religious "barbs" directed at him on and off the field (or so I read years ago). Of course he thought he was starting caliber.. his under-utilization of team strengths was not on him; it was on Wanny who was a considerably worst coach IMO than the winning records would reflect.

Back
Top Bottom