Sporting News Ranks The Fins18QBs In 18Yrs Since Marino | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sporting News Ranks The Fins18QBs In 18Yrs Since Marino

Why you have to bring it up on the week we gonna get clobbered by the Falcons.

Tannehill, Pennington (even if it was just 1 year), everybody else

I have a lot of respect for Jay Fiedler, the person.

Jay Fiedler, the person, had a very difficult job -- replacing Dan Marino -- that subjected him to an inordinate amount of criticism, even when criticism of his play was warranted. He handled it with poise and with class, and never bitched about the flak he received, even when it would have been pretty justified to do so.

He was the type of guy who was a quality backup quarterback who should NOT have been starting. My criticism of Fiedler (who really did hold that team back) is tempered by the fact that it was Dave Wannstedt's freaking fault for not seeing what anyone with eyes could see, that Fiedler could make some athletic plays and was a tough leader, but was a poor thrower of the football who could be baited into terrible interceptions.

To me there is no debate who was better between Fiedler and Pennington. Pennington was very smart and very accurate, a guy who from the neck up was absolutely brilliant, and was a mechanically sound thrower. But his body was just about done at the point that he got him. Even with a bum arm, he gave us one real good year that quickly erased the stench of Failing Forward Fast, and for that I will forever love #10.

A real shame, I honestly think Chad Pennington could have been a Hall of Fame type of football player if not for his shoulder injuries. Even knowing that he would have wound up having that career with the lousy stinking Jets, I still think it's a shame. The man just had rotten luck.

Chad P. won comeback player of the year ... TWICE. That's unheard of and a real tribute to his desire to play this game. I alway thought he would make an excellent QB coach.

Chad P. won comeback player of the year ... TWICE. That's unheard of and a real tribute to his desire to play this game. I alway thought he would make an excellent QB coach.
I have been waiting to see his name pop up in the headlines for a coaching position.

I miss those 14 play, 10 minute 4th quarter game winning drives from penny.

I have a lot of respect for Jay Fiedler, the person.

Jay Fiedler, the person, had a very difficult job -- replacing Dan Marino -- that subjected him to an inordinate amount of criticism, even when criticism of his play was warranted. He handled it with poise and with class, and never bitched about the flak he received, even when it would have been pretty justified to do so.

He was the type of guy who was a quality backup quarterback who should NOT have been starting. My criticism of Fiedler (who really did hold that team back) is tempered by the fact that it was Dave Wannstedt's freaking fault for not seeing what anyone with eyes could see, that Fiedler could make some athletic plays and was a tough leader, but was a poor thrower of the football who could be baited into terrible interceptions.

To me there is no debate who was better between Fiedler and Pennington. Pennington was very smart and very accurate, a guy who from the neck up was absolutely brilliant, and was a mechanically sound thrower. But his body was just about done at the point that he got him. Even with a bum arm, he gave us one real good year that quickly erased the stench of Failing Forward Fast, and for that I will forever love #10.

A real shame, I honestly think Chad Pennington could have been a Hall of Fame type of football player if not for his shoulder injuries. Even knowing that he would have wound up having that career with the lousy stinking Jets, I still think it's a shame. The man just had rotten luck.

Well that's the thing, this is discussion about qb's and their body of work/ w Miami not their previous endeavors. It's hard to keep a straight face and envision Chad still having a playoff season without the wildcat.

No doubt all of those QBs would have loved a 5 year opportunity to develop with the team. A few would have benefited greatly from it.

1. Fiedler belongs on top of this pathetic list for sure. Wasn't pretty but had leadership and will to win. Victory over Oakland in 2001 on last second rushing TD was classic. Had same amount of GWD in 59 games as Tannehill has had in 77.

2. Pennington, not sure if he belongs #2. Easiest schedule in all of football that year and benefited from having 4 west coast teams play in Miami in which Miami barely won each one of those games. The wildcat helped quite a bit as well. But considering Miami was 1-15 year before Pennington's leadership certainly played a role.

3. Moore, has outplayed Tannehill when given the chance and the team responds to him. Hopefully Gase gets his head out of his butt and gives him a shot soon just to see if he uplifts team. Offense has NO ENERGY playing with Cutler.

4. Tannehill. Overdrafted, overrated by his fans, needs everyone around him to play well and given one of the longest leashes for a bottom third starter in the league has been given. Would have been a better WR than QB.

5-18. Pick any fool in any order.

1. Tannehill

2. Pennington

3. Matt Moore

4. Gus Frerotte

.... posting the rest of the list would probably get me banned.
You nailed it Wanny.

1. Ryan Tannehill - clearly the best QB we've had since the great Dan Marino, with consistent growth and solid play.
2. Chad Pennington - one excellent year, but injuries were the problem before Miami, and they quickly became the story at Miami.
3. Matt Moore - Although I really would have preferred he not go on a late-season hot streak when we were in real contention for the Suck-For-Luck-Stakes. We weren't going to win anyway ... Indy had a secret weapon at QB and a real franchise commitment to sucking. Still, Moore is a gunslinger, and true to his nature, he produced some good and some bad. I think his performances have been quite solid for a backup QB type.
4. Gus Ferrotte was decent with us, but he was rightly replaced by Drew Brees errrrrrr, wrongly replaced by the gimp Dante Culpepper.

While I definitely was not a Fiedler fan, he probably makes the top 5 or 6, because that list gets real ugly real fast. :(

It's amazing to see the football know nothings that trumpet Moore as some sort of stud also love jay pick 6 Fiedler. They're both garbage and didn't deserve starting roles.

Pennington was better than tannehill but if I had to start a team I'd be taking tannehill because of Penningtons bad shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom