Stadium upgrade could bring MLS to Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nublar7, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/308293187934490624

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/308294758592286720

A lot seems to be on the line with this vote to upgrade the stadium. Future Super Bowls, 20 year lease to keep the Dolphins in Miami, 4,000 new local jobs and now an expansion MLS team.

2. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

It's a no brainer to have a MLS team down here. Obviously winning will mean the most . . . but a successful soccer team will draw fans crazy. I still remember the Fusion at Lockhart stadium . . . loved going to those games.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

bleh football on an NFL/rugby field is never a good thing :idk: though I suppose it makes sense to have one with the big Latin population Miami has. When David Beckham signed his trillion pound deal to play in America years ago he was promised he could own a team when he stopped playing in the US, I guess this could be it, its been rumored for a while http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../David-Beckham-lined-Miami-MLS-franchise.html Brand Beckham and Miami... could be big.

The stadium seems to be a good package, super bowl 50 or not. I guess it depends on the voters now. It will no doubt be hammered in the polls due to that baseball deal though... pity

4. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

I WOULD LOVE this

5. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

any chance the proposed pro lacrosse league comes too?

6. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Does anybody actually watch major league soccer?

7. WestSideFin

WestSideFin A True Fan

So when are they expected to vote?

8. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im against that much public funding on a stadium that is not owned by city but not sure an MLS team is such a good thing when this same league decided to fold the team in Miami a little over a decade ago.

Also what are these 4000 local jobs u are referring to, unless you are talking the temporary construction jobs

9. Kdawg954

I loved the Fusion . . . less than 2 miles from my house, but that team was based in North Fort Lauderdale . . . a soccer team certainly would have a better chance in Dade County. Hell the Fusion now at Lockhart would fare better as the Hispanic and West Indian population is ballooning in Fort Lauderdale compared to 12 years ago. There are soccer matches all the time in Lauderdale Lakes / Lauderhill at these smaller parks and those things are "packed" on Saturdays.

10. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

Wasnt the original upgrade around 250 mil? If this is going to not only approve the upgrade, but improve, then I am really on board.

NO problem with sharing a field with a soccer team. Its that dirt that aggravated the life out of me

11. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

ESPN is back to pushing it. It's bit by bit, but they are doing it.

It's ****ing unreal how they influence sports fans.

I'm not saying I'm immune.

12. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Rookie

I don't believe this rumor. MLS doesn't want to be in tackle football stadiums, and they only want to move into markets where lower division teams have drawn well. South florida fails both tests.

The Fusion and Mutiny getting folded was more to do with the fact that the league already owned them and it was easy to fold the two florida teams together.

13. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Thanks again for the news Nublar, I am not a soccer fan at all, the only guys I can name is Beckham, Messi and Ronaldo lol. However, there is no doubting it would be great for the team, city and overall economy to bring MLS down to Miami. I am sure the locals would love to have the league down here as well, bring some more excitement to South Florida. Not a soccer fan, but I love the idea.

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

No matter what we wont get superbowls with the frequency we used to because the NFL has found the perfect blackmail tool . Im not against all public funding because a team does benefit Miami although its more of a quality of life benefit than a financial benefit. I just think Ross and the NFL should bear more of the financial burden. Whats being left out of this arguement is that the NFL will probably pay half of Ross's costs because of the high level of funding from the city. The city of Miami's leadership is pretty stupid though since they paid the majority of costs for the baseball stadium an yet give the majority of possible money to be made off non baseball events to the Marlins owner. I think the subsidation of professional sports by the ameircan taxpayer is one of the worst things going in local govenrments that are underfunding more important programs. The city of Miami had more visitors in a non superbowl year than they ever did and broke the previous record by more than 10 percent in revenue spent in city all without the mythical overhyped profites of a superbowl. Yes it brings in revenue but nothing close to what the NFL would have you believe. I personally think its a travesty that a league draped in such substantial profits basically does it because they taxpayers constantly foot the majority of their stadium bills.

15. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Oh damn...I completely misread that quote he had. I missed the pointer on expanding OUR OWN team here in Miami. I don't like the idea of that, I can't see any realistic scenario where we have a successful soccer team here, both fan and field related. I thought the quote was just discussing the desire of the MLS commissioner for Miami to host games, not have a team. There is absolutely no way that stadium even sells 30,000 seats per game if we have a MLS team. It's not going to happen.

16. GoonBoss

*Holds up lighter*

17. Abhenne7

Abhenne7 Dolphins4lyfe

I would love to have an mls team in miami. Ive been wishing this for years, its unacceptable that miami still doesnt have a mls team, im sure more people would go there than a marlins game

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
  18. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I can't imagine playing soccer in Miami. I'd need an IV of gatorade while running around lol

19. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Miami had an MLS team and the league decided to fold them down.

20. Abhenne7

Abhenne7 Dolphins4lyfe

Yea but lets be honest, the mls was nothing alike then what it is now. The US didnt start taking soccer serious till their quarter final appearance in the 2002 world cup against germany.

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Soccer is no more popular in us now than it was then. In fact interest was probably higher then

22. uk_dolfan

I dont care about the league but the growth of the MLS and the money it makes suggests otherwise. As a football/soccer fan of the big european leagues the MLS is still poor quality and unimportant but it is certainly growing.

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Fewer than 1/3 of their teams made a profit in 2011.

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

and of course Ross wants a soccer team here to pad his pockets for using his stadium

25. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

Doesn't dispute the fact that the MLS is earning more revenue now than back in the years where miami fusions existed. Soccer as a whole got a boost in popularity after the 2010 WC. It will probably go down since the USMNT right now is pretty bad.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Like every rational human being who would be in his position.

26. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

A soccer match is about as exciting as the Jests offense.

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Oh I do agree but its not only his dime lets not forget the welfare he is asking for and im sure he wont share their rent check with the taxpayers

28. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

Jets offense against the pats (aka the butt fumble game) was a great game to watch just saying.

29. Semedi

Semedi Pro Bowler

No thanks. I'd be against anything that sees that sport expand in America. So so boring.

30. GoonBoss

"Buttfumble" is the gift that keeps on giving.

31. electrolyte

electrolyte A True Fan

We used to have a soccer team. The stadium was empty mostly and the team folded or moved, don't remember.

32. Abhenne7

Abhenne7 Dolphins4lyfe

Its the best and most played sport in the world. Its bound to catch up anytime soon

33. uk_dolfan

sounds a bit like how Miami seems to feel about its NFL team these days and apparantly the baseball team!

34. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

The reason that Joe Robbie stadium sucks for football fans is because it was designed to allow for soccer games. I say no.
    Just enclose the sidelines permanently so we can have a proper football stadium.

35. Kdawg954

We had a soccer team 12 years ago in North Fort Lauderdale. They may have been called the Miami Fusion, but that stadium is anything but Miami. It was during a time when the Spanish population still hadn't reached that far north in Broward and the Carribbean population (Jamaican, Haitian, Dominican, Trinidadian, etc.) was nothing compared to now.

36. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Catch up to what? The wnba?

37. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

I enjoy soccer ... every four years in the Olympics just like most Americans. it's a great game but I cann't really get behind a sport where 3 points is considered an offensive explosion.

38. GoonBoss

It's a dumb, unmarketable sport.

ESPN knows it, but is pushing it now..........For what reason?
    Demos I assume. It's dumb.

39. Abhenne7

Abhenne7 Dolphins4lyfe

Seriously?

40. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Rookie

Actually we have a soccer team now. The Ft Lauderdale Strikers play in the secord tier of soccer in the US. They need to draw better before MLS would consider a franchise down here.

Also, the reason the sidelines are too wide at JRS has nothing to do with soccer. It's the baseball that Robbie planned for that made them even wider.

41. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

If you have the real multi-dimensional and strategic football - who really gives a **** about soccer?

42. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Those who don't understand how much soccer is growing in the US either doesn't pay much attention or just doesn't like soccer. MLS is a much better ran league than it was even a few years ago. I believe only a few teams (DC, New England, and Seattle) don't have their own stadiums (San Jose doesn't but they just broke ground to make a new stadium) and the league was actually the 2nd most profitable pro league in the US behind only the NFL (ironically, NHL and MLS which don't get great ratings are more profitable than MLB and NBA... the latter of which lost I believe $150 million the season before the lockout). Soccer is also now the 2nd most played sport among youths in the country behind only football. With the MLS teams, and even lower leagues like the USL, opening academies more kids are getting better training and in turn, our youth national teams are starting to get better. 5-6 years ago, the only academy was down in Bradenton.

And MLS does decent stuff for NBC's new sports network. Of course, they really push the league (and NHL).

Of course something like that would be appealing to Ross. Not just because of an MLS team, but because of WC qualifying, maybe even being a host city for a WC in the future (the 2018 bid Qatar won will probably be re-done since it came out FIFA accepted a bribe), as well as hosting friendlies for big European teams when they do their US tours (which make really good money).

43. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Where did you get that they were the second most profitable league in us. I think u read attendence but the MLS has not made a profit as of yet so its not among the most profitable leagues. None of the other leagues have over 2/3 of the the teams losing money. THe MLS is so far below these leagues in profits and revenues its not even worth discussing.

44. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

last time I checked NASCAR is a pro league and I bet their books dwarf MLS!

45. FinMike

FinMike Well-Known Member

Miami once had a MLS team and it failed, what makes things different this time around?

46. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea lets bring an MLS team to Miami, U know that league that folded both teams in Florida about a decade ago. That league that is still in red with over 2/3 of the league losing money.
    I mean we got an owner that cant maintain his own stadium so why not add a team that will be ran even worse to the mix.

47. flynryan15

Makes sense after all Tampa stuck the Rowdys in Al Lang Stadium which is a rundown minor league baseball stadium so hey lets add soccer to JimmyProplayerSunlifeMargaritaville Stadium that oughta sucker the tax payers for a vote!

48. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i like mls about as much as i like the wnba...

49. flynryan15

On the bright side if MLS is in our stadium we might find a decent kicker out if it!

50. FinMike

FinMike Well-Known Member

Were the Fusion even a successful team on the field?