Stadium upgrade could bring MLS to Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stadium upgrade could bring MLS to Miami

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
MLS commish Don Garber pushing hard for Miami expansion team with Dolphins owner Steve Ross. Source close to Ross says he's interested

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/308293187934490624

Source close to Steve Ross says MLS expansion in Miami contingent on $400M upgrade to Sun Life Stadium. Hoping public will fund around half.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/308294758592286720

A lot seems to be on the line with this vote to upgrade the stadium. Future Super Bowls, 20 year lease to keep the Dolphins in Miami, 4,000 new local jobs and now an expansion MLS team.

It's a no brainer to have a MLS team down here. Obviously winning will mean the most . . . but a successful soccer team will draw fans crazy. I still remember the Fusion at Lockhart stadium . . . loved going to those games.

bleh football on an NFL/rugby field is never a good thing :idk: though I suppose it makes sense to have one with the big Latin population Miami has. When David Beckham signed his trillion pound deal to play in America years ago he was promised he could own a team when he stopped playing in the US, I guess this could be it, its been rumored for a while http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../David-Beckham-lined-Miami-MLS-franchise.html Brand Beckham and Miami... could be big.

The stadium seems to be a good package, super bowl 50 or not. I guess it depends on the voters now. It will no doubt be hammered in the polls due to that baseball deal though... pity

Im against that much public funding on a stadium that is not owned by city but not sure an MLS team is such a good thing when this same league decided to fold the team in Miami a little over a decade ago.

Also what are these 4000 local jobs u are referring to, unless you are talking the temporary construction jobs

Im against that much public funding on a stadium that is not owned by city but not sure an MLS team is such a good thing when this same league decided to fold the team in Miami a little over a decade ago.

Also what are these 4000 local jobs u are referring to, unless you are talking the temporary construction jobs

I loved the Fusion . . . less than 2 miles from my house, but that team was based in North Fort Lauderdale . . . a soccer team certainly would have a better chance in Dade County. Hell the Fusion now at Lockhart would fare better as the Hispanic and West Indian population is ballooning in Fort Lauderdale compared to 12 years ago. There are soccer matches all the time in Lauderdale Lakes / Lauderhill at these smaller parks and those things are "packed" on Saturdays.

Wasnt the original upgrade around 250 mil? If this is going to not only approve the upgrade, but improve, then I am really on board.

NO problem with sharing a field with a soccer team. Its that dirt that aggravated the life out of me

ESPN is back to pushing it. It's bit by bit, but they are doing it.

It's ****ing unreal how they influence sports fans.

I'm not saying I'm immune.

I don't believe this rumor. MLS doesn't want to be in tackle football stadiums, and they only want to move into markets where lower division teams have drawn well. South florida fails both tests.

The Fusion and Mutiny getting folded was more to do with the fact that the league already owned them and it was easy to fold the two florida teams together.

Thanks again for the news Nublar, I am not a soccer fan at all, the only guys I can name is Beckham, Messi and Ronaldo lol. However, there is no doubting it would be great for the team, city and overall economy to bring MLS down to Miami. I am sure the locals would love to have the league down here as well, bring some more excitement to South Florida. Not a soccer fan, but I love the idea.

No matter what we wont get superbowls with the frequency we used to because the NFL has found the perfect blackmail tool . Im not against all public funding because a team does benefit Miami although its more of a quality of life benefit than a financial benefit. I just think Ross and the NFL should bear more of the financial burden. Whats being left out of this arguement is that the NFL will probably pay half of Ross's costs because of the high level of funding from the city. The city of Miami's leadership is pretty stupid though since they paid the majority of costs for the baseball stadium an yet give the majority of possible money to be made off non baseball events to the Marlins owner. I think the subsidation of professional sports by the ameircan taxpayer is one of the worst things going in local govenrments that are underfunding more important programs. The city of Miami had more visitors in a non superbowl year than they ever did and broke the previous record by more than 10 percent in revenue spent in city all without the mythical overhyped profites of a superbowl. Yes it brings in revenue but nothing close to what the NFL would have you believe. I personally think its a travesty that a league draped in such substantial profits basically does it because they taxpayers constantly foot the majority of their stadium bills.

It's a no brainer to have a MLS team down here. Obviously winning will mean the most . . . but a successful soccer team will draw fans crazy. I still remember the Fusion at Lockhart stadium . . . loved going to those games.

Oh damn...I completely misread that quote he had. I missed the pointer on expanding OUR OWN team here in Miami. I don't like the idea of that, I can't see any realistic scenario where we have a successful soccer team here, both fan and field related. I thought the quote was just discussing the desire of the MLS commissioner for Miami to host games, not have a team. There is absolutely no way that stadium even sells 30,000 seats per game if we have a MLS team. It's not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom