Suns vs. Spurs | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suns vs. Spurs

And you know thats the leagues problem.They keep trying to market the NBA like Jordan,Magic,& Bird are still playing.Yes the league has star power,but alot of those stars just dont play on GREAT basketball teams.If they were smart they would market the best teams and what they do best versus trying to save it with scoring and individual superstars.Thats the problem with the NBA and ratings.

You still have teams like Phoenix,Clev,The Wizards who play exciting basketball,but their teams arent quite good enough to make it to the Finals just yet.Why?Because of their styles.Trust me after watching 150-147 games through the 80's, if you watch just enough of that can become boring too.

And whens the last time an exciting basketball team has won a chapionship?
None of it will matter if there are no fans watching games...Seriously, if the ratings for the finals fall any lower, they wont even be on network TV anymore...If that happens we wont even have to discuss it because the league will change the rules to force teams to play up tempo and all but place the most exciting teams in the finals..

Basketball is a contact sport and always has been.If you dont appreciate defense then dont watch.Its the leagues fault for low ratings.Not the teams in question.

ok...lets try to differentiate between contact and defense. Basketball is not a contact sport....if you don't believe me try reading the rule book.

I don't fault the players or teams for what they have done. Its the league's fault for letting it come to this, and I think they are finally realizing what they have turned the NBA into. If you watched any bball more than a decade ago then I'm sure you are well aware of what the game can be.

None of it will matter if there are no fans watching games...Seriously, if the ratings for the finals fall any lower, they wont even be on network TV anymore...If that happens we wont even have to discuss it because the league will change the rules to force teams to play up tempo and all but place the most exciting teams in the finals..

You really think they'd change the rules of the game just so they can make the game more up-tempo to please some fans?

ok...lets try to differentiate between contact and defense. Basketball is not a contact sport....if you don't believe me try reading the rule book.

I don't fault the players or teams for what they have done. Its the league's fault for letting it come to this, and I think they are finally realizing what they have turned the NBA into. If you watched any bball more than a decade ago then I'm sure you are well aware of what the game can be.

Dude explain to me how basketball is not a contact sport...Everybody knows that basketball is a contact sport.You hear it everyday.Man the fun in just watching people shoot baskets and nobody try to stop them.Changing the rules is not going to help anything.The league needs to learn a better marketing strategy.And how do you play D with no contact?You obviously wanna watch something else other than basketball.

You really think they'd change the rules of the game just so they can make the game more up-tempo to please some fans?
I think you are missing the point, its not about pleasing some fans...It is about getting fans to watch the games, and pleasing some networks, pleasing some advertisers and boosting ratings that have steadily been on decline, and will probably hit another record low if the Pistons and Spurs were to meet in the final again this year...

Dude explain to me how basketball is not a contact sport...Everybody knows that basketball is a contact sport.You hear it everyday.Man the fun in just watching people shoot baskets and nobody try to stop them.Changing the rules is not going to help anything.The league needs to learn a better marketing strategy.And how do you play D with no contact?You obviously wanna watch something else other than basketball.
Better marketing strategy? Maybe they should contact the guy who invented pet rocks...

Obviously if you make a certain contact that constitutes a foul.However not ALL contact made in a basketball game is a foul.

Good defense does not equal physical play, and fouls in the paint...Truly good basketball defense is about making rotations, double teaming in the post, covering passing lanes, and always having a hand in the face...

Ill also add, that arguably the 2 most important defensive plays in the game require no contact at all, a blocked shot and a steal...If you make contact with either one there will more than likely be a foul called...

Good defense does not equal physical play, and fouls in the paint...Truly good basketball defense is about making rotations, double teaming in the post, covering passing lanes, and always having a hand in the face...

Which is what the Spurs do.

So when the Suns are on a fast break and theres a defender standing in front of Nash,Nash has one of 4 choices

1)Stop before he makes contact and shoot.

2)Try and draw a foul on that defender.

3) Be called for charging.

4) Make the assist.

You cant have the rules change to where defense has a that much of disadvantage than offense.Defense has just as much importance offense.

Or maybe you should contact the league office.Im sure theyll change the game just for you.:wink:
Yeah because this is just me who think this...You remember the 2003 finals, Im sure you do since you are a Spurs fan, but no one else does, since they werent watching...It was the worst rated Final in history, 5.2 6.6 6.2 6.4...The game were getting beat by reruns of CSi...2004 had better ratings because of the Lakers, but still not great..Then in 2005 they took another header averaging a 7 or so....Last year they jumped all the way up to about an 8 average...

I think you are missing the point, its not about pleasing some fans...It is about getting fans to watch the games, and pleasing some networks, pleasing some advertisers and boosting ratings that have steadily been on decline, and will probably hit another record low if the Pistons and Spurs were to meet in the final again this year...

Isnt the desire of getting fans to watch games the same as pleasing them? It seems like you're saying that fans won't watch a Det/SA game b/c it isnt going to be as exciting as Pho/GS.

Fans watch games b/c they like them. If you'd change the way fouls are called just so you can get network ratings up, how is that not catering to fans?

Which is what the Spurs do.

So when the Suns are on a fast break and theres a defender standing in front of Nash,Nash has one of two choices

1)Stop before he makes contact and shoot.

2)Try and draw a foul on that defender.

3) Be called for charging.

You cant have the rules change to where defense has a that much of disadvantage than offense.Defense has just as much importance offense.
I never said defense wasn't important, nor did I say I dint like D, you implied I did though...I admit the Spurs do all of those things great, but they also play very physical inside, which is what you are implying is the key to defense...It isn't..

Back
Top Bottom