Suns vs. Spurs | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Suns vs. Spurs

Yeah because this is just me who think this...You remember the 2003 finals, Im sure you do since you are a Spurs fan, but no one else does, since they werent watching...It was the worst rated Final in history, 5.2 6.6 6.2 6.4...The game were getting beat by reruns of CSi...2004 had better ratings because of the Lakers, but still not great..Then in 2005 they took another header averaging a 7 or so....Last year they jumped all the way up to about an 8 average...

I'd prefer 3 rings over ratings any day of the week. I don't know why someone who isn't in the TV business would give a damn about the ratings. You don't like the Finals, don't watch 'em.

Isnt the desire of getting fans to watch games the same as pleasing them? It seems like you're saying that fans won't watch a Det/SA game b/c it isnt going to be as exciting as Pho/GS.

Fans watch games b/c they like them. If you'd change the way fouls are called just so you can get network ratings up, how is that not catering to fans?
I gues if you want to argue schematics then yes they are trying to please fans, but not the fans that are watching they are trying to get the ones they have lost back...In the grand scheme of things though, the NBA could care less how exciting a game is as long as there are ***** in the seats. What they really care about is revenue and that has been lacking...

Yeah because this is just me who think this...You remember the 2003 finals, Im sure you do since you are a Spurs fan, but no one else does, since they werent watching...It was the worst rated Final in history, 5.2 6.6 6.2 6.4...The game were getting beat by reruns of CSi...2004 had better ratings because of the Lakers, but still not great..Then in 2005 they took another header averaging a 7 or so....Last year they jumped all the way up to about an 8 average...

So changing the game to basically playing no defense is going to help ratings?I doubt it.Then youll start having people complaing about TOO MUCH scoring.Youll learn that people are never happy.There is a HUGE fanbase out there that enjoys watching great defense.Of course I can see why you would disagree.

I'd prefer 3 rings over ratings any day of the week. I don't know why someone who isn't in the TV business would give a damn about the ratings. You don't like the Finals, don't watch 'em.
Yeah, obviously a casual fan doesn't care about ratings...But when you are looking at the future of a company, which the NBA is, you have to look at the business they are doing now, which is stagnant at best...

I gues if you want to argue schematics then yes they are trying to please fans, but not the fans that are watching they are trying to get the ones they have lost back...In the grand scheme of things though, the NBA could care less how exciting a game is as long as there are ***** in the seats. What they really care about is revenue and that has been lacking...

Well Stern was talking about taking the NBA overseas. That might help the NBA in the long term, I don't really know.

I never said defense wasn't important, nor did I say I dint like D, you implied I did though...I admit the Spurs do all of those things great, but they also play very physical inside, which is what you are implying is the key to defense...It isn't..

So Phoenix has played us a little more physical,but thats ok,but when the Spurs play physical,its not ok?Explain.

So changing the game to basically playing no defense is going to help ratings?I doubt it.Then youll start having people complaing about TOO MUCH scoring.Youll learn that people are never happy.There is a HUGE fanbase out there that enjoys watching great defense.Of course I can see why you would disagree.
I cant do this anymore, I feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall...The Suns don't play no defense, they play a different style of Defense...Like I have said numerous times, just because they aren't a physical bang em up team, doesn't mean they don't play D..

Yeah, obviously a casual fan doesn't care about ratings...But when you are looking at the future of a company, which the NBA is, you have to look at the business they are doing now, which is stagnant at best...

What would the ratings of a Detroit-Utah Finals be? Or Detroit-Phoenix?

So Phoenix has played us a little more physical,but thats ok,but when the Spurs play physical,its not ok?Explain.
The Suns are being forced to adapt because the rule set of playoff basketball is different..I'm not saying what the Spurs are doing is wrong, its what the refs are allowing the Spurs to do that is wrong...

What would the ratings of a Detroit-Utah Finals be? Or Detroit-Phoenix?
Detroit Utah, would be as bad as Det/SA maybe a little lower...I think if the Suns made it it would be higher ratings, but I'm biased...I do know that the Suns are popular team to watch, one of the top teams as far as regular season ratings go...And people want to see something new, so they would tune in to see if the Suns could do it...

In the grand scheme of things it IMO the reputation that the league has gotten,and also the players that are playing that is leading to bad ratings.Todays stars just dont have the personalities that their predacessors had.Jordan-Almost too loveable,Magic-That smile,The Bad Boys.Theres nothing like that in todays NBA.Its become a game basically about revenue more than anything else.A star basketball player can play 20 years and not win a thing.Look at KG.Unless a trade is made he may never get a chance.

You cant fault physical defense of all things for low ratings.

The Suns are being forced to adapt because the rule set of playoff basketball is different..I'm not saying what the Spurs are doing is wrong, its what the refs are allowing the Spurs to do that is wrong...

The Suns arent "forced" to adapt to anything.Your coach has said so.He says,"if they wanna play physical we can play physical".That there is a choice my friend.Unfortunately for him and you,you know thats not the Suns style.

Tomato, tomahto....We obviously have different takes on it, but in the end its all about the W's...And the Suns really need one of those tonight...Hopefully it will be another solidly entertaining game, but Ill settle for the Suns blowing out the Spurs if thats what I have to endure...:D

I dont want to go back to square one in this conversation, but thought this was a relevant piece of news..

After reviewing Bowen's third-quarter knee to the groin of the Suns' Steve Nash in Game 3 on Saturday, NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson upgraded the foul call on Bowen to a "flagrant one" foul for the play. It carries no suspension.

Back
Top Bottom