Super Bowl Thread | Page 51 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Thread

Yeah and thats why you're much better off with knowing where you stand first rather than letting him know what he has to do to beat you. You're also giving him 4 downs instead of 3 when he gets the ball second.
Exactly. Everybody rants about the Dolphin history of not being able to stop key possessions at the end of games. Meanwhile it often comes down to that key variable, the basic math of 4 downs instead of 3. Even if teams never have to use that extra down they have bonus confidence throughout the drive and can tailor the play calling accordingly.

It's also the reason so many sharp coaches will go for the first down in their own territory, rather than punt the ball away when they know the opponent will own 4 downs throughout.

The aspect of letting him know what he has to do to beat you is so massive. There are examples in other sports. I realize nobody here follows biathlon. But there was a prime example of this the other day during the world championships. Johannes Thingnes Boe is perhaps the greatest of all time. He was chasing the gold medal in the sprint and had a 38 second lead at the next to last checkpoint. That type of advantage caused him to lack urgency over the final 800 meters. Johannes lost 3 seconds, from 38 to 35. There was only one biathlete starting late in the order who could possibly beat him, his Norwegian teammate Sturla Holm Lagreid. Sure enough, Lagreid shot clean and the chase was on. He received the split times from his coaches, meaning he knew exactly what he had to do. And it all came down to those last 800 meters. Lagreid charged while Boe had assumed. It was all the difference. Lagreid went from 1 second back to win by 3 seconds.

In typical conditions Boe is a much faster skier than Lagreid. It reversed only because of that aspect of knowing what you have to do. The same applies in track relays. The runner in front on the final leg of 4 x 400 doesn't feel the same urgency as the trailing runner who sees the target and knows exactly what needs to be done. Femke Bol is more than 1 second faster than Alexis Holmes. Bol lost the mixed relay world championship last year when Holmes had a target while Bol was running blind.

That's the same type of dynamic that can lend to Purdy over Mahomes, if given a chance. The 49ers should have played the math and the situational edge.

The reason Eli Manning and the inferior Giants saved the Perfect Season is that they trailed 14-10 and knew exactly what had to happen. Thank goodness that score was not 13-10.

I knew the outcome 2 weeks ago - not the score or that it would have been this close (i had it 34-24). Never bet against Mahomes.
Same. I thought Kansas City would win by double digits, something like 27-17. I had that action points wager that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. You collect or owe based on final score in relationship to the point spread. I did okay with a 1.5 point underdog winning by 3. But when you enter that pool you really need to win by margin for the big pay off.

The 49ers werent prepared for a situation that could arise - an OT Game with new rules.
shanahan wanted to ball third, so he could win in sudden death.

the trend for this coaching tree is they coach their own demise. all of these guys abandon plays that work. all of these guys are worried about things that may never happen or present themselves and at the expense of what is actually working/happening.

three super bowls where he called plays and had a 10 pt lead and lost all three.

G
Have to say I agree with everyone that the Niners had to choose to kick off to start OT. Terrible decision. I never want to put Mahomes in a situation where he knows he has 4 downs to work with for an entire drive. Inexplicable decision from Shanahan.

Question about the final play…

If Hardman was tackled in bounds on the 1st & goal (instead of scoring) and the clock hit 0:00, would the game have continued into a second OT period until the KC drive ended?
The game would have continued. It wouldn’t be double overtime. There is only one overtime. It would be like going from the 1st quarter to the second quarter

G

The game would have continued. It wouldn’t be double overtime. There is only one overtime. It would be like going from the 1st quarter to the second quarter
Yup, I’ve read up on the new rule. Didn’t realize this last night.

The 49ers werent prepared for a situation that could arise - an OT Game with new rules.
shanahan wanted to ball third, so he could win in sudden death.

the trend for this coaching tree is they coach their own demise. all of these guys abandon plays that work. all of these guys are worried about things that may never happen or present themselves and at the expense of what is actually working/happening.

three super bowls where he called plays and had a 10 pt lead and lost all three.
It’s like they’re smart … and manage to outsmart themselves.

I wonder what might happen to Swift if she gets pissy with him.

Jurassic Park Car GIF by Vidiots

You have to look at the way a man carries himself and Kelce says rage because he can't catch every ball mahomes throws

Back
Top Bottom