Super Bowl Thread | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Super Bowl Thread

You just cannot let Mahomes have the ball last. SF should have deferred.

Maybe but like the announcers said, it gave a chance for the 49ers defense to rest since they just got off the field. Had KC got the ball first in OT they probably would have scored a TD and just gained momentum.

Why did Shanahan and Warner decide to receive the OT kick off. That was losing the SuperBowl worthy stupid.

It gave the 49ers a chance to rest their defense who just got off the field. And it was a chance for 49ers to take momentum in their favor if they scored a TD, they came close. To me it was aggressive decision to try to win the game, I have no problem with that.

Conversely, had KC received ball first in OT and scored quickly then the momentum would have been completely in their favor and 49ers may not even make into the redzone and then everyone would be asking "why didn't 49ers chose to receive in OT?! you always elect to receive in OT!"

Basically the special teams cost the game for the 49ers, but if you look at overtime, the SF defense that had stimied the Chiefs basically the entire game, just blew it. It looked so much like those Fins defenses years ago that held Brady in check all game until the very end.

It gave the 49ers a chance to rest their defense who just got off the field. And it was a chance for 49ers to take momentum in their favor if they scored a TD, they came close. To me it was aggressive decision to try to win the game, I have no problem with that.

Conversely, had KC received ball first in OT and scored quickly then the momentum would have been completely in their favor and 49ers may not even make into the redzone and then everyone would be asking "why didn't 49ers chose to receive in OT?! you always elect to receive in OT!"

Still, you have to play the odds. You're talking about stopping Mahomes on 4 plays and him knowing what he needs to beat you.

You stood a much better chance at holding them to a FG if they got the ball first.

I thought it was a mistake when it happened and not just saying this after the fact.

Still, you have to play the odds. You're talking about stopping Mahomes on 4 plays and him knowing what he needs to beat you.

You stood a much better chance at holding them to a FG if they got the ball first.

I thought it was a mistake when it happened and not just saying this after the fact.
Also Shanahan shoulda known better than to settle for a FG in OT. As soon as they kicked I knew 100% it was over. You just can't let Mahomes get into a position to win the game on the last drive of the game. Hes gonna convert 95% of the time.

Also Shanahan shoulda known better than to settle for a FG in OT. As soon as they kicked I knew 100% it was over. You just can't let Mahomes get into a position to win the game on the last drive of the game. Hes gonna convert 95% of the time.

I mean that one is tough because then you make it a lot easier to lose if you don't get the first down. And given the fact that KC struggled to find the endzone outside of their gifted possession, not as big a deal IMO. Especially given how poorly SF's OL played.

I would've understood if they went for it though.

I mean that one is tough because then you make it a lot easier to lose if you don't get the first down. And given the fact that KC struggled to find the endzone outside of their gifted possession, not as big a deal IMO. Especially given how poorly SF's OL played.

I would've understood if they went for it though.
I knew the Chiefs would win at halftime when they were only down 7. To beat Mahomes you need to sack his ass alot and have a big lead. 7 points isn't enough.

I find myself thinking it was a flash forward to the way we would lose the super bowl should we ever make it under McDaniel... Ridiculously poor special teams play abandoning the run and head scratching decision at the start of overtime to take the ball because of some convoluted overthought scenario

Andy Reid did a hell of a job tailoring to his offenses skillet the last few games of the season. He has gotten better over the years especially after that debacle with eagles against the pats.

Spags is one of the best defensive coaches in league history. In a matter of four games he out coached mcdaniel, Brady, monken and Shanahan and gave them a chance to win.
I’ve been a spags fan since as a Giant’s coach… he helped beat NE.

Could the Niners consider moving on from George Kittle?

Now that the off season has officially started I can say that its all eyes on the NFC North. Detroit, Chicago and Green Bay are going to be the talk of the off season.

Last edited:
Have to say I agree with everyone that the Niners had to choose to kick off to start OT. Terrible decision. I never want to put Mahomes in a situation where he knows he has 4 downs to work with for an entire drive. Inexplicable decision from Shanahan.

Question about the final play…

If Hardman was tackled in bounds on the 1st & goal (instead of scoring) and the clock hit 0:00, would the game have continued into a second OT period until the KC drive ended?

Back
Top Bottom