SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it...

What was the worst moment broadcast-wise of the game?

• John Madden

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • The viewres missing Bill Cowher's Gatorade moment

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mike Holmgren's play calling from 8 minutes left til the final gun

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • The postgame analysis of the 3 stooges(Berman,Irvin,Young)

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
There were some very borderline calls, and the vast majority of them seemed to swing for Pittsburgh.

I'd like to qualify that I had to watch the game at a hospice and couldn't truly focus on this Super Bowl. But I saw plenty of it, if not always with volume.

However, Seattle had this game for the taking and really melted down in key situations. There were lots of drops by Stevens, a horrible interception to kill their potential go-ahead TD drive early in the fourth, and their protection really had a breakdown on the 3rd down Townsend sack they allowed (precipitated by the questionable Locklear hold). Granted, it created 4th-and-13, but I still don't think they should have punted, down 11 with six minutes left (and with 3 defensive starters out with injury). But another killer that sticks in my mind was Bobby Engram not getting his head around on a hot read deep in Steelers' territory. The seemingly very catchable ball wizzed right past his ear. This was a HUGE down that killed Seattle's rally. I believe Brown missed another long field goal or they got picked off on that drive.

I also was disappointed by Seattle's lack of urgency at the end of the first half, and again after the Randle El TD pass in the 4th. Down 11, they wasted a lot of time on a lot of downs, including many where the receiver chose to take on tacklers rather than getting out of bounds.

Why teams don't go to max protect and use more rollouts against blitzing defenses is beyond me, and Seattle suffered two HUGE sacks because of that in the fourth.

Despite the calls, this game was there for the taking, and Seattle didn't get it done. They had the skill to beat Pittsburgh, and if they played better and still lost I'd be more outraged over the officiating.

MiamiHitman said:
This was the worst officiating I have ever seen in a big game .... in any sport.

agreed usually in other sports they like the teams battle it out and barely cal anything

pitt's 3 penalties a complete joke while seatle got every call against them

Maynard said:
this is a terrible rule. i saw it a few weeks ago. it is called a change of possesion. last time i saw it, it was called on an o-lineman during an interception. terrible

Appropriately enough, it was called on Pittsburgh's LG Alan Faneca against the Colts on Monday Night Football.

Jimmy James said:
I'll agree that the officials were far too visible in the game even though I don't think the Seahawks have much to complain about.

Im not a fan of either team, didnt bet any cash on the game and I thought the Seahawks received a ton of bad calls. I don't agree with a lot of your assessments. The refs played way too much of a role in this game, the officiating was terrible plain and simple. I was disgusted as a fan of the game that the refs decided to call the game the way they did. I don't think we saw the same game.

Jimmy James said:
Jackson's fault. I agree that he didn't need the push, but that just means he shouldn't have pushed. A lot of WRs get away with a push, but they don't get away with ones that blatant right in front of an official's face. This was a good call, though it was regrettable that it had such an impact on the game.

This was also the right call. I don't buy this "ref looked like" line of reasoning at all. He made a TD call. That is what counts. The replay decision was also the right one.

If he was offsides (instead of timing the snap count as the Steelers did many times tonight), that is a bad call. The hold was legitimate, though. It wasn't the worst in the game, but they called ones just as minor.

If you have that on the DVR, check again. He timed the snap count very well on that play.

You have to get inside the pad for that rule to apply. That was a good no call.

This was a bad call, but I think the flag was thrown because he looked like he was going for the lead blocker's knees. That turned out not to be the case, so the flag should have just been picked up.

I *think* this was a failure of ABC coverage. My guess is that Cowher called the TO from the sideline (which coaches can now do) when he saw that the center missed the snap signal.

Certainly.

Jeremy Stevens catches the ball, turns, takes two steps, and fumbles the ball. The official waits until it is apparent a Steeler will scoop the ball up and blows the play dead, ruling the pass incomplete. I think Holmgren could have gotten a first down from that by challenging the call on the field and getting it overturned. That would have been manifestly unjust.

Hines Ward catches the ball and goes out of bounds. A Seahawk defender gives him a helmet to helmet hit after Ward stepped out. No flag.

Ben completes a screen to a receiver who is not Miller. Miller is flagged for offensive pass interference. How is that even possible? This may have been a legit holding call, but that isn't what was announced.

I think the officials did a bad job, but I don't think it was lopsided at all.

Excellent assessment here. I noticed a few head-scratching calls, but the thought that the officiating was slanted either way had never even entered my mind. Offensive pass interference? Jackson clearly pushed off - he froze Hope in the endzone with a stiff arm. Worse, he did it about three feet away from the official in plain way. It would've been bad not to call that. What was called on Miller was never seen, and it didn't involve the play (a 5 yard pass anyway) so I'm not sure where that came from.

The only call that the Seahawks have a gripe about is the Hasselbeck low takeout call. It was called on Jeff Hartings, I believe, against the Colts. It's a rule, but this flag could've been picked up for reasons already listed.

Other than that, the Roethlisberger TD was not going to be overturned no matter which way it was called on the field. I highly doubt myself that the ball did NOT cross the plane; Ben is a pretty big guy and was diving towards the endzone. Since in HD slow motion you can see the ball actually just about touching the plane, it's damn near impossible for it to stop there even though Ben carries forward. I have to assume the offcial has the best view.

I don't know if it matters, but Jerramy Stevens fumbled the ball and it did seem like it wasn't until Pittsburgh was clearly getting the ball that the official blew it dead. If that balls goes out of bounds, for example, if they make the same call Holmgren's red flag is already on the field.

Not the best officiating, but I have a very hard time seeing problems with this one. Out of three recaps, one mentions the Roethlisberger TD. Another mentions that the officiating wasn't good, but gives absolutely no inclination as to which way it went. A third - and a biased one at that in John Clayton - mentioned questionable calls but only one specific play - the Roethlisberger TD.

The fact is neither team played very well. Both made mistakes. The Steelers were able to recover and the Seahawks weren't. End of story.

OK. I'm in the middle of watching the game a second time today--almost halftime.

Yes, there were some "questionable" calls. The first PI was a legitimate call. He pushed off. Seattle ran the ball the next play with a poor result and then had the jump ball in the corner of the end zone that bounced up and dropped before the FG.

I think Seattle got a bad spot on that 4th and inches in the possession following the FG, but it would've been close and they might've missed it.

The Stevens "drop" should've been a catch and a fumble if the ref hadn't been whistle happy. A Seattle Challenge there would've screwed over Pitt, but it wasn't challenged.

Now...it's just before the disputed TD. I don't think he got in. Had he been ruled down, I don't think it's overturned.

That said, Seattle screwed up big time at the end of the half. No points? Wasting nearly 30 seconds trying to get a play called? Come 'on! It's the Superbowl for crying out loud. Then the same mess again at the end of the game?

And...you allow a 75-yard TD run in the 3rd?

How many dropped balls were there?

How many "near TDs" did Seattle have but the ball was slightly overthrown or the receiver was out-of-bounds?

Seattle lost the game by themselves. The refs helped a little, but Seattle did themselves in.

OK...it's the end of the first half (watching it now). 45 seconds left and they run Alexander up the middle. The clock runs ALL the way down to 13 seconds and PITTSBURG calls a time-out. Where's the hurry up? What the heck is Seattle thinking? Of course, I don't understand why Pitt called a time-out either. Then, they throw it deep and make their kicker try a 54-yarder (which he missed). Ridiculous.

EDIT: 2+2 = Holgrem's comments as he walked off at halftime. He was so absorbed in the Pitt TD call that it apparently affected his coaching at the end of the half. Had to be it. I haven't seen his post-game comments yet...may edit this again later.

TokyoFishFan said:
OK...it's the end of the first half (watching it now). 45 seconds left and they run Alexander up the middle. The clock runs ALL the way down to 13 seconds and PITTSBURG calls a time-out. Where's the hurry up? What the heck is Seattle thinking? Of course, I don't understand why Pitt called a time-out either. Then, they throw it deep and make their kicker try a 54-yarder (which he missed). Ridiculous.

EDIT: 2+2 = Holgrem's comments as he walked off at halftime. He was so absorbed in the Pitt TD call that it apparently affected his coaching at the end of the half. Had to be it. I haven't seen his post-game comments yet...may edit this again later.
If their head coach stuck his head up his own *** because of a call that didn't go his way, the seahawks didn't have it in them to win anyway.

PHANTASTIC 13 said:
Don't forget about that horse collar tackle the Steelers made that would have been a first down for Seattle, even Michael's and Madden saw it.

It wasn't a horse collar. THe defender fell forward with the Alexander's momentum. HE did not complete the pull down from behind. EVEN Madden and Michael's corrected themselves.

TokyoFishFan said:
OK. I'm in the middle of watching the game a second time today--almost halftime.

Yes, there were some "questionable" calls. The first PI was a legitimate call. He pushed off. Seattle ran the ball the next play with a poor result and then had the jump ball in the corner of the end zone that bounced up and dropped before the FG.

I think Seattle got a bad spot on that 4th and inches in the possession following the FG, but it would've been close and they might've missed it.

The Stevens "drop" should've been a catch and a fumble if the ref hadn't been whistle happy. A Seattle Challenge there would've screwed over Pitt, but it wasn't challenged.

Now...it's just before the disputed TD. I don't think he got in. Had he been ruled down, I don't think it's overturned.

That said, Seattle screwed up big time at the end of the half. No points? Wasting nearly 30 seconds trying to get a play called? Come 'on! It's the Superbowl for crying out loud. Then the same mess again at the end of the game?

And...you allow a 75-yard TD run in the 3rd?

How many dropped balls were there?

How many "near TDs" did Seattle have but the ball was slightly overthrown or the receiver was out-of-bounds?

Seattle lost the game by themselves. The refs helped a little, but Seattle did themselves in.

Thank you.

People are blowing this sooooooo out of proportion. Unbelievable.

1) The interference call may have been petty, BUT, it WAS interference. The rule states that if and offensive player uses his arm to push away to gain distance between a defender, it is offensive pass interference. Jackson clearly used his arm to push off the defender. PERIOD.
2) Rothlisberger's TD. This would have gone either way. I personally thought the tip of the ball may have crossed the white. BUT here is the bottom line: If the play has been called NOT a TD, and Pitt would have challenged, it would have been upheld. It was called a TD, Seattle challenged but there was NOT indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Result: TD.
3) I don't remember which Seahawk reciever it was but he actually caught a ball and dropped it and it could have and possibly should have been called a fumble. (Even Michaels said so) But the whistle blew the play dead and that was that. So the Steelers didn't get that break.
4) How many balls did Stevens alone drop? Did thre refs get in the way?
5) How about that catch down the sideline where Jackson completely lost concentration and stepped out of bounds when with a little more focus woul dhave had Seattle at the 1 yard line....Oh, that ref must have screamed, "BOO!" to distract him.
6) There was no horse collar. Besides, they are rarely called all year because of the gray area. Why wasn't it called? Because the defenders momentum carried past the ball carrier and he did not complete the stopping of momentum of the ball carriers and yank him backward.
7) The call on Hasselbeck: BAD CALL. Happens all the time.
8) 3rd down and 28. HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU GIVE THAT PLAY UP? Oh, had to be the officiating.
9) 75 yard TD run by Parker: Did you see the blocks the officiating crew laid on that play?
10) Hasselbeck's interception - terrible throw. But there was that ref standing there with the mirror reflecting light in his eyes just before he threw it. **Hasselbeck threw what should have been another INT but it was dropped. I noticed the look of disgust on the entire officiating crew when that happened.
11) Holmgrems play calling/ time management. This too was a conspiracy by the NFL officials to assist Pittsburgh. First of all, signals were sent through the radios to interupt the communications. The sounds were similar to feedback and it worked in two ways: Hassellbeck couldn't hear and it gave him an enormous headache so he couldn't focus the rest of the game. THe reason Seattle lost so much time was not because the were moving slow, it was because the time keeper, who is also a part of the officiating crew, hit fast forward on the clock to tick of crucial seconds - and minutes.
12) Lastly: I saw 2 guys hand the referees a suitcase of cash and they mouthed something to the effect of: "Dis is for a job well done. Da boss says for us to give yous guys a bonus." "Yous guys enjoy your time off. We'll see yas next year in Miami."

SCall13 said:
People are blowing this sooooooo out of proportion. Unbelievable.

1) The interference call may have been petty, BUT, it WAS interference. The rule states that if and offensive player uses his arm to push away to gain distance between a defender, it is offensive pass interference. Jackson clearly used his arm to push off the defender. PERIOD.
2) Rothlisberger's TD. This would have gone either way. I personally thought the tip of the ball may have crossed the white. BUT here is the bottom line: If the play has been called NOT a TD, and Pitt would have challenged, it would have been upheld. It was called a TD, Seattle challenged but there was NOT indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Result: TD.
3) I don't remember which Seahawk reciever it was but he actually caught a ball and dropped it and it could have and possibly should have been called a fumble. (Even Michaels said so) But the whistle blew the play dead and that was that. So the Steelers didn't get that break.
4) How many balls did Stevens alone drop? Did thre refs get in the way?
5) How about that catch down the sideline where Jackson completely lost concentration and stepped out of bounds when with a little more focus woul dhave had Seattle at the 1 yard line....Oh, that ref must have screamed, "BOO!" to distract him.
6) There was no horse collar. Besides, they are rarely called all year because of the gray area. Why wasn't it called? Because the defenders momentum carried past the ball carrier and he did not complete the stopping of momentum of the ball carriers and yank him backward.
7) The call on Hasselbeck: BAD CALL. Happens all the time.
8) 3rd down and 28. HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU GIVE THAT PLAY UP? Oh, had to be the officiating.
9) 75 yard TD run by Parker: Did you see the blocks the officiating crew laid on that play?
10) Hasselbeck's interception - terrible throw. But there was that ref standing there with the mirror reflecting light in his eyes just before he threw it. **Hasselbeck threw what should have been another INT but it was dropped. I noticed the look of disgust on the entire officiating crew when that happened.
11) Holmgrems play calling/ time management. This too was a conspiracy by the NFL officials to assist Pittsburgh. First of all, signals were sent through the radios to interupt the communications. The sounds were similar to feedback and it worked in two ways: Hassellbeck couldn't hear and it gave him an enormous headache so he couldn't focus the rest of the game. THe reason Seattle lost so much time was not because the were moving slow, it was because the time keeper, who is also a part of the officiating crew, hit fast forward on the clock to tick of crucial seconds - and minutes.
12) Lastly: I saw 2 guys hand the referees a suitcase of cash and they mouthed something to the effect of: "Dis is for a job well done. Da boss says for us to give yous guys a bonus." "Yous guys enjoy your time off. We'll see yas next year in Miami."

Good, good, good. (Hey, we finally agree on something!) I'll add my thoughts here as well.

1) Jackson was called for interference because he pushed off. Period. He extended his arm and didn't allow Hope to cover him. Worse, he did all of three feet away from the official, who already had his hand on the flag before Hope was telling him.

2) I agree. That call was not going to be overturned no matter how it was called on the field. It was obvious that the ball was tightly in Ben's forearm and very likely crossed the plane. It's my opinion that this is what the official was looking for before he signaled a touchdown - at the end, the ball was still tightly in there. On replay, there is no visual evidence either way, but common sense tells you there's about a 99% chance that that ball crossed the plane of the goal line considering it disappears from view about 1 centimeter away being carried by a diving 250-pound man.

3) Jerramy Stevens did catch that ball. It almost seemed like the officials didn't call it incomplete until it appeared that the Steelers would recover. Had that ball gone out of bounds, it may have been called a catch. Had it gone out of bounds, Holmgren is challenging - and winning - UNLESS they resurrect the horrible call on the Polamalu interception.

4) & 5) Stevens dropped a bunch, and Jackson lost his mind twice on the sideline. One of them may have been uncatchable, but the other very easily could've been a TD. They looked like the Seahawks of old there.

6) Not even a question - not a horse collar.

7) Assuming you mean the penalty on the interception return, I agree. Jeff Hartings was called earlier in the season against Indianapolis for the same thing - and for the same reason. Both Hartings and Hasselbeck went for the ball carrier. However, both technically contacted the blocker. While neither meant to do it, they did it anyway. The calls may have been petty, but I guess those are the rules.

And the rest are the rest.

MiamiHitman said:
First off, I just wanna say that, obviously, I am a Dolphins fan, so I am being pretty unbiased with my opinions about what happened in this superbowl.

That being said, I think the referees did an atrocious job officiating this Superbowl, and directly influenced the outcome of this game.

Four plays immediately come to mind:

1) The Roethlisberger TD run where he didn't break the plane of the goal-line. The ref started to call Roethlisberger down, but then changed his mind after watching Big Ben crawl forward another couple yards into the endzone. That was not a TD. And how was it not over-turned? Geez.

2) Offensive pass interference against the Seahawks in the endzone that negated a TD. Of all the bad calls, this is the one that I could let slide if this were the only bad call of the game, but that is not the case here.

3) The phantom holding call that took away a nice play that would have given Seattle a 1st down at the 1-yard line. This call was really, REALLY bad.

4) And why the heck was Hasselbeck called for a personal foul for making a tackle?

In recap, I can think of reasons for wanting either team to win. I was really just hoping for a good, clean, exciting Superbowl and these referees really ruined it for me.

I agree with everything expect Big Ben TD. That was really close. But the TD by Jackson was legit. If you look at the ref he was about to lift his hand for a TD but was influence by the Pitt Safety that he was pushed.:fire:

Amars said:
I agree with everything expect Big Ben TD. That was really close. But the TD by Jackson was legit. If you look at the ref he was about to lift his hand for a TD but was influence by the Pitt Safety that he was pushed.:fire:

There was a camera angle from behind the referee that he reached for the flag immediately after the pushoff. From the front, he does something else before actually pulling it out, but he knew right away. Besides, it's pretty clear that it was a penalty.

SCall13 said:
It wasn't a horse collar. THe defender fell forward with the Alexander's momentum. HE did not complete the pull down from behind. EVEN Madden and Michael's corrected themselves.

but your not allowed to grab a player on the collar at anytime. He should have been called. the fact that he grabbed the collar and a tackle was made should have been called.

If you look at the stats you will see seatlle outplayed the steelers but big penalties were called against seattle removing any kind of momentum.

Even espn this morning was commenting on it. Cowlin and co were saying the same thing. The refs made some serious questionable calls...

You should go to the espn board they are saying the same thing. a thousand people cant be wrong..

Back
Top Bottom