SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it... | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it...

What was the worst moment broadcast-wise of the game?

• John Madden

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • The viewres missing Bill Cowher's Gatorade moment

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mike Holmgren's play calling from 8 minutes left til the final gun

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • The postgame analysis of the 3 stooges(Berman,Irvin,Young)

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
flintsilver7 said:
I don't care who's on where and what they're saying. You can say what you want, but the only incorrect call was the Hasselbeck low block. And that's not going to change the fact that Seattle couldn't manage the clock, their receivers couldn't catch the ball, Jackson couldn't come down in bounds, and so on.

you can say what you want, but the league has created a perception problem for itself. find holding on warrick's long punt return. find a block in the back. look at the side-judge on the roethlisberger TD. he's approaching the play, after it's over, with a closed fist, the signal for fourth down. he changes his mind after the play, and it can't be reversed due to lack of evidence.

SCall13 said:
Anyone complaining, whether it was fans or sports writers, were pulling for Seattle. Pittsburgh beat them. There were some bad calls. The worst call was the penalty on Hasselbeck. Seattle had SOOO many chances. They moved the ball up and down the field but couldn't get it in the endzone. The refs didn't cause Hasselbeck to throw an INT. The refs didn't slow the NFL MVP. The refs didn't take away any scores from Seattle. The offensive pass interference WAS interference. Seattle actually got away with a fumble. Jackson stepped out of bounds on what should have put Seattle down to the one. Stevens dropped 4 or 5 balls.
Here is what I think: the Steelers are better than Seattle anyway and would beat them 4 out of 5 times.
One other thing: Let's say that a bad call cost Seattle a FG or a TD. Pittsburgh still won.

i wanted seattle to win, but more than that i wanted it to be a great game. while there were some great moments, the game was overshadowed by the refs, which is NOT supposed to happen in the super bowl. all the penalties that they called were damn close to being not penalties is all i'm saying. your right in one aspect though, seattle had plenty of chances to win and couldnt get it together..... they were blowing pitts stats out of the water in the first half and they were down 4. not to mention stevens couldnt catch a freakin cold. pathetic is the only word i can use to explain it.

Alex22 said:
Actually watch the first one called out of bounds and its a TD

What game where you watching?

No, it wasn't. He had one foot in bounds. It doesn't matter where you are on the field - you need two feet in bounds to establish possession. Jackson didn't do that. End of story. The pylon would've been fine if he had been in bounds and already established posession of the ball.

Check your rules, son.

DPlus47 said:
you can say what you want, but the league has created a perception problem for itself. find holding on warrick's long punt return. find a block in the back. look at the side-judge on the roethlisberger TD. he's approaching the play, after it's over, with a closed fist, the signal for fourth down. he changes his mind after the play, and it can't be reversed due to lack of evidence.

His hand was up, but it was not a fist. He looked at first like he might have been spotting but fairly quickly signaled a touchdown. Many, many, many times in football games, the line judges will run out with one hand up and wait to call it. He called that play fairly quickly. He did not have a closed fist.

Block in the back? Kelly Herndon's record-breaking interception return featured a prominent block in the back on Roethlisberger that would've put Seattle in considerably more modest field position. How's that?

ABC's camera work wasn't great, but I could still see holding on Warrick's return. By the way, he had made it about 2 yards when the flag was thrown, so unless the referee was calling a penalty on Seattle just in case I think he was calling the holding penalty that he saw.

Anyone who can honestly claim that there was no bias for the Steelers in that game knows little to nothing about professional sports and the marketing behind them.

B-LO said:
Anyone who can honestly claim that there was no bias for the Steelers in that game knows little to nothing about professional sports and the marketing behind them.

Why do we even have officials on the field? Why don't they simply call it from the couch? I mean CLEARLY the average fan can see the play better, so the referees are basically useless.

Better yet, have the fans vote real-time to see what the call should be.

SCall13 said:
Anyone complaining, whether it was fans or sports writers, were pulling for Seattle.
That's like saying "Anyone denying it, whether it was fans or sports writers, are biased and were pulling for the Steelers".

What game were you watching? All my friends were against me picking the Steelers to win the Super Bowl, and even with the money they won betting, THEY even admit that the referees killed this game.

Paul Taglibue better addressed this situation just like the Colts game. Worse Super Bowl ever.

The Seattle Seahawks are the Un-Official Super Bowl Champions in my eyes.

#1 The beginning...The refs try to give the Colts and the NFL's Golden Boy the "W" by making some very questionable calls at the end of the game. Joey Porter makes some serious accusations after the game that go unfined nor denied by the NFL.

#2 The story...The Bus returns to Detroit, his hometown, for the SB. He's been considering retirement and would in all likelyhood retire if he got the ring. Ben and the team promise him the ring and blah, blah, blah. The SB is close to Pittsburgh and the fans are 90% Steelers. Ben could be the youngest QB to win a SB. I mean I must admit, it is a great story and obviously the NFL thought so too.

#3 The game...I won't get into the specifics of each call because we all saw the game and it's been covered pretty well already. All I'll say about them is this, they were very game breaking penalties. 3 of the 7 penalties came on offensive plays of more than 15 yds. They were momentum killing penalties and they never let Seattle get into any kind of groove. 3 others were called on a punt, a kick and the Hasselbeck pick that affected starting field position. With all the crappy calls they made against the Seahawks they sure were reserved about tossing the flag against the Steelers. They were whistled for only 3 penalties, 2 of which, were false starts called on their first offensive drive.

I don't dislike either team nor am I bothered by the Steelers being Champs. I'm botheres by the fact that I feel cheated as a fan. The score of that was skewed and misrepresentative of the game played. It is/was a great story and I'm happy for Cowher, Burger and Bettis but the NFL got a little too carried away with this one.

Vertical Limit said:
That's like saying "Anyone denying it, whether it was fans or sports writers, are biased and were pulling for the Steelers".

What game were you watching? All my friends were against me picking the Steelers to win the Super Bowl, and even with the money they won betting, THEY even admit that the referees killed this game.

Paul Taglibue better addressed this situation just like the Colts game. Worse Super Bowl ever.

The Seattle Seahawks are the Un-Official Super Bowl Champions in my eyes.

That's right. Whichever team you were pulling for is the way you'd see the game. I was pretty neutral, only pulling for the Steelers slightly because I like Cowher, and I wanted Bettis get the ring.
I could care less who won or lost money betting. That's why it's called gambling.
To suggest Seattle is the "unofficial" Super Bowl Champion is ridiculous. Seattle could have won the game, they had MANY MANY opportunities and couldn't capatilize. THEY gave up the big 3rd and 28 conversion. THEY gave up the 75 yard TD run. Regardless of a bad call and a few close, petty ones, the Steelers would still win the game. Like I said before, even IF (IF IF IF) the refs costed the Seahawks a FG or TD, the final score is still 21-17.
Also, Seattle not only dominated the Steelers for the entire first half, the Steelers also gave Seattle MANY other chances - specifically Big Ben's INTs and overall terrible play. Pittsburghs running game was largely ineffective except for the long TD run, yet Seattle couldn't come up with a way to win. Seattle blew the game, not the refs. To suggest that the refs were responsible for the Seahawks loss is absolutely crazy.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
#1 The beginning...The refs try to give the Colts and the NFL's Golden Boy the "W" by making some very questionable calls at the end of the game. Joey Porter makes some serious accusations after the game that go unfined nor denied by the NFL.

#2 The story...The Bus returns to Detroit, his hometown, for the SB. He's been considering retirement and would in all likelyhood retire if he got the ring. Ben and the team promise him the ring and blah, blah, blah. The SB is close to Pittsburgh and the fans are 90% Steelers. Ben could be the youngest QB to win a SB. I mean I must admit, it is a great story and obviously the NFL thought so too.

#3 The game...I won't get into the specifics of each call because we all saw the game and it's been covered pretty well already. All I'll say about them is this, they were very game breaking penalties. 3 of the 7 penalties came on offensive plays of more than 15 yds. They were momentum killing penalties and they never let Seattle get into any kind of groove. 3 others were called on a punt, a kick and the Hasselbeck pick that affected starting field position. With all the crappy calls they made against the Seahawks they sure were reserved about tossing the flag against the Steelers. They were whistled for only 3 penalties, 2 of which, were false starts called on their first offensive drive.

I don't dislike either team nor am I bothered by the Steelers being Champs. I'm botheres by the fact that I feel cheated as a fan. The score of that was skewed and misrepresentative of the game played. It is/was a great story and I'm happy for Cowher, Burger and Bettis but the NFL got a little too carried away with this one.

Seattle couldn't get into a groove? Is that why they were moving up and down the field at WILL against Pittsburgh? :shakeno:

SCall13 said:
That's right. Whichever team you were pulling for is the way you'd see the game. I was pretty neutral, only pulling for the Steelers slightly because I like Cowher, and I wanted Bettis get the ring.
I could care less who won or lost money betting. That's why it's called gambling.
To suggest Seattle is the "unofficial" Super Bowl Champion is ridiculous. Seattle could have won the game, they had MANY MANY opportunities and couldn't capatilize. THEY gave up the big 3rd and 28 conversion. THEY gave up the 75 yard TD run. Regardless of a bad call and a few close, petty ones, the Steelers would still win the game. Like I said before, even IF (IF IF IF) the refs costed the Seahawks a FG or TD, the final score is still 21-17.
Also, Seattle not only dominated the Steelers for the entire first half, the Steelers also gave Seattle MANY other chances - specifically Big Ben's INTs and overall terrible play. Pittsburghs running game was largely ineffective except for the long TD run, yet Seattle couldn't come up with a way to win. Seattle blew the game, not the refs. To suggest that the refs were responsible for the Seahawks loss is absolutely crazy.

So, Seattle had all those chances, and according to you the Steelers played poorly yet they still won. I wonder what could have happend...

SCall13 said:
Seattle couldn't get into a groove? Is that why they were moving up and down the field at WILL against Pittsburgh? :shakeno:

Yeah, that's right. Every big play they had got called back for some reason or another. If you don't finish the drive you're not really in a groove. They marched up and the field and got a TD taken back and a completion at the 1 taken back. Those pretty much killed all their momentum...

DoLpHiNz34 said:
So, Seattle had all those chances, and according to you the Steelers played poorly yet they still won. I wonder what could have happend...

The Steelers played close to their worst game of the season and still won. This should tell you who the better team is.

flintsilver7 said:
The Steelers played close to their worst game of the season and still won. This should tell you who the better team is.

I agree...the referees were the best team on the field

DoLpHiNz34 said:

What happened? The Seahawks shot themselves in the foot by 1) Stevens dropping 4 or 5 balls. 2) Jackson not concentrating and stepping out of bounds when he could have had Seattle at the one yard line. 3) Hasselbeck throwing an INT in a crucial situation. 3) Jackson pushing off, YES pushing off the defender in the end zone. Like it or not, as slight as it was, he pushed off and gave himself seperation from the defender which is, by any rule I have ever seen or heard, is offensive pass interference. 4) Seattle barely tried for any big plays down the field, instead relying on short, quick passes that netter very little yardage. 5) Questionable play calling by not getting Alexander involved and established earlier in the game. 6) By giving up a 3rd and 28!!!! 7) By giving up a 75 yard TD run. 8) By not capitalizing on Big Ben's INTs. 9) Not pressing more at the end of the first half -instead settling for a FG attempt that could have been shorter if Seattle would have had better clock management. ETC ETC ETC

Back
Top Bottom