SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it... | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SuperBowl officiating was Horrible/Game was fixed/Steelers Stole it...

What was the worst moment broadcast-wise of the game?

• John Madden

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • The viewres missing Bill Cowher's Gatorade moment

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mike Holmgren's play calling from 8 minutes left til the final gun

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • The postgame analysis of the 3 stooges(Berman,Irvin,Young)

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
MiamiHitman said:
First off, I just wanna say that, obviously, I am a Dolphins fan, so I am being pretty unbiased with my opinions about what happened in this superbowl.

That being said, I think the referees did an atrocious job officiating this Superbowl, and directly influenced the outcome of this game.

Four plays immediately come to mind:

1) The Roethlisberger TD run where he didn't break the plane of the goal-line. The ref started to call Roethlisberger down, but then changed his mind after watching Big Ben crawl forward another couple yards into the endzone. That was not a TD. And how was it not over-turned? Geez.

2) Offensive pass interference against the Seahawks in the endzone that negated a TD. Of all the bad calls, this is the one that I could let slide if this were the only bad call of the game, but that is not the case here.

3) The phantom holding call that took away a nice play that would have given Seattle a 1st down at the 1-yard line. This call was really, REALLY bad.

4) And why the heck was Hasselbeck called for a personal foul for making a tackle?

In recap, I can think of reasons for wanting either team to win. I was really just hoping for a good, clean, exciting Superbowl and these referees really ruined it for me.

In general the superbowl sucked.

SCall13 said:
What happened? The Seahawks shot themselves in the foot by 1) Stevens dropping 4 or 5 balls. 2) Jackson not concentrating and stepping out of bounds when he could have had Seattle at the one yard line. 3) Hasselbeck throwing an INT in a crucial situation. 3) Jackson pushing off, YES pushing off the defender in the end zone. Like it or not, as slight as it was, he pushed off and gave himself seperation from the defender which is, by any rule I have ever seen or heard, is offensive pass interference. 4) Seattle barely tried for any big plays down the field, instead relying on short, quick passes that netter very little yardage. 5) Questionable play calling by not getting Alexander involved and established earlier in the game. 6) By giving up a 3rd and 28!!!! 7) By giving up a 75 yard TD run. 8) By not capitalizing on Big Ben's INTs. 9) Not pressing more at the end of the first half -instead settling for a FG attempt that could have been shorter if Seattle would have had better clock management. ETC ETC ETC

1-He did quite a few drops but he did catch a TD and a 1st down at the 1yd line that got called back on what I think was the worst call of the game. After that BS call, Hasselbeck trying to make a play the team had aready made tries to thread the needle and instead throws a pick. Hines Ward had a few drops to. Difference was they didn't screw him on the ones that really counted.

2- If you look at that play again, his left is in bounds he makes the catch and touches the pylon with his right foot before stepping out of bounds. Another missed call IMO that wasn't even reviewed. Don't worry about it refs, it's only the SB.

3-Can't argue that one. Jackson pushes off and got called. It was a weak call but it was the right one.

4-Their gameplan was solid going into the game. They beating the crap out of the Steelers D and they were doing it without Alexander and had them on their heels. I attribute the breakdown in the play calling on the BS Burger TD. I was upset at how the game was being called...I can only imagine what kind of distraction this was for Holmgren and his team.

5-Alexander had 20 carries for 95yds on a team that was behind 3 qtrs. WTF did you want them to do? And like I stated earlier, the Seahawks had the superior gameplan at the beginning of the game whether or not they under used Alexander or not what they were doing was working.

6&7-There is no denying that the Steelers made some plays. The Burger on 3 and 28 was a great play that'll we'll see for as long as we watch football. I'm not arguing they didn't make plays. I just wish the refs would have let the game play out the way it should have. It would have been a much better game.

8-They turned one of them into 7 points.

9-I already told what I think happend. Holmgren was furious going into halftime. I think that Burger TD and challenge really affected his decision making...he lost his cool. Again, the refs really had a big part in shaping the outcome of this game. We can go back and forth all day. All I'm saying is the refs F'ed the game up big time. It could have gone either way, and I'm not sure the Steelers don't win it anyway but you can't sit there and tell me the refs didn't wig out.

byroan said:
Like when? When the receiver pushed off? He should have gotten away with it?

you obviously are too young to remember this, but the Cowboys had a WR, name of Michael Irvin. Anyhow, he pushed off 5 times a game! It was never called because he was part of "America's Team.

flintsilver7 said:
No, it wasn't. He had one foot in bounds. It doesn't matter where you are on the field - you need two feet in bounds to establish possession. Jackson didn't do that. End of story. The pylon would've been fine if he had been in bounds and already established posession of the ball.

Check your rules, son.

Haha actually his left foot was in and his right foot kicked over the pylon

Thats a TD watch in slow motion buddy

NJL52 said:
clear.gif

Leavy, the true MVP, with some of his boys.

that's not Leavy genius!! :sidelol:

Leavy was the referee, not the umpire!!:sidelol:

DoLpHiNz34 said:
2- If you look at that play again, his left is in bounds he makes the catch and touches the pylon with his right foot before stepping out of bounds. Another missed call IMO that wasn't even reviewed. Don't worry about it refs, it's only the SB.

Jackson only had one foot in bounds. You can't establish possession with only one foot in bounds. Hitting the pylon cannot establish possession - it can only establish that you were in the endzone. It doesn't matter if you're on the goal line or in the back of the endzone - you need two feet in bounds and Jackson got one. That's not even an issue.

flintsilver7 said:
Jackson only had one foot in bounds. You can't establish possession with only one foot in bounds. Hitting the pylon cannot establish possession - it can only establish that you were in the endzone. It doesn't matter if you're on the goal line or in the back of the endzone - you need two feet in bounds and Jackson got one. That's not even an issue.

Actually hitting the pylon is as good as getting your foot down in bounds

Find a rulebook and read it

Or just watch ESPN where they have been talking about that blown call non stop

refs were terrible,,if seattle wanted to win the game,stop the 75 yard run for td,the trick play for td..

flintsilver7 said:
YOU NEED TWO FEET IN BOUNDS TO ESTABLISH POSSESSION.

FIND A RULEBOOK AND READ IT

HITTING THE PYLON IS AS GOOD AS GETTING THE FOOT DOWN IT ESTABLISHES A FOOT IN BOUNDS

Alex22 said:

HITTING THE PYLON IS AS GOOD AS GETTING THE FOOT DOWN IT ESTABLISHES A FOOT IN BOUNDS

I was under the same impression with the pylon/goaline going to infinty and all that crap...

Main point here....the refs didn't even take a look at it and if were talking about it and ESPN is talking about it then it warranted a review. Obviously, they didn't review it because they didn't want to....

Jimmy James said:
BS

Try the Stevens fumble that got blown dead.

Try the late hit on Ward that was also helmet to helmet that wasn't called.

Try the bizarre offensive pass interference call on Miller.

Steeler apologist.

Alex22 said:

Though I know you're just confrontational (you did the exact same thing with the Polamalu interception and never provided even the slightest shred of evidence that you understand NFL rules) I'll respond anyway.

Possession: When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds.

I will not respond to you again unless you can show me, citing from the Official NFL Rules, where that call was incorrect.

flintsilver7 said:
Though I know you're just confrontational (you did the exact same thing with the Polamalu interception and never provided even the slightest shred of evidence that you understand NFL rules) I'll respond anyway.

Possession: When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds.

I will not respond to you again unless you can show me, citing from the Official NFL Rules, where that call was incorrect.

You are correct...

8. A forward pass is complete when a receiver clearly possesses the pass and touches the ground with both feet inbounds while in possession of the ball. If a receiver would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while maintaining possession of the ball, pass is complete at the out-of-bounds spot.

Sidelines and end lines are out of bounds. The goal line is actually in the end zone. A player with the ball in his possession scores a touchdown when the ball is on, above, or over the goal line.

Put those both together and it was NOT a TD.

flintsilver7 said:
I don't care who's on where and what they're saying. You can say what you want, but the only incorrect call was the Hasselbeck low block. And that's not going to change the fact that Seattle couldn't manage the clock, their receivers couldn't catch the ball, Jackson couldn't come down in bounds, and so on.

I guess the majority of the fans are wrong also. These calls were bs especially the holding. There was no holding. It was even stated by Madden and Michaels. The rotlesberger td was also bogus. You need to watch the tape and observe what the line jusge did. He spotted the ball at the 1/2 yrd mark then ben moved the ball forward he changed his mind and basically called a TD.

Do you honestly think the refs had no impact on the game. If you are, you are in denial. This game will be known in history as one of the worst officiating calls in a superbowl.

Its a fact! Its one thing if Seattle fans a crying foul but when you have every non seattle/pitt fans screaming about the officiating that ought to tell you something.

:shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom