Supplamental draft - Bears draft Unga | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplamental draft - Bears draft Unga

Good point CK. I see people on the Clemons and Reshad Jones bandwagon but let's remeber that Culver has played very well for us. I think OLB beyond Misi and Wake is a major need...

Good point - I always forget about him. But personally I feel much more comfortable with him back there compared to Clemons. At this point. We'll see how much Clemons has improved come training camp. Those camp reports can't get here soon enough...almost gives me a reason to wake up every morning! :)

aren't there rainbows galore in san fran...

I'm not concerned about OLB beyond Misi and Wake so much as pass rusher beyond Misi and Wake. Or really beyond Wake, since Misi is almost totally unproven in that regard.

We're going to probably re-introduce Yeremiah Bell as a blitzer. I don't know if anyone remembers but back in Saban's day when Bell was just a nickel/dime guy, they blitzed Bell a lot and he looked pretty darn good. Over the past two years Bell has blitzed 69 times, has 3 sacks, 4 hits, 5 pressures. That's pretty good. Losing Nate Jones is a blow because he had a heck of a feel for DB blitzing, but Vontae Davis has to be a good blitzer I imagine.

In Denver last year Mike Nolan had Brian Dawkins blitz 44 times. Altogether they had 69 safety blitzes. Miami had their share, too. They had 59 safety blitzes. I think Miami blitzed DBs more than Nolan. But I think that Nolan will increase Vontae Davis' blitz totals (only did it 1 time in 2009) and increase Yeremiah Bell's. Hopefully that will pay off a little bit. I think more important than how many times you blitz those guys, is teaching them how to do it and be more effective.

i'd like to see more cb blitzes from vontae davis...whether he be lined up outside or over the slot...bring heat with vontae...

I really didn't figure we'd give up any of our picks for the only two prospects out there. We're pretty set with players at both RB and WR. They'd be nothing more than prospects at this point and possibly practice squad guys. They may have hoped for them to go undrafted to take a chance on, but not to give up draft picks for when there's no huge need at either spot.
Well looking ahead you could kick around the RB spot. But as pointed out earlier Hillard showed up when needed last year so hiding on the PS this year would probably be next to impossible. Hillard had some of that beween the tackles talent that Unga has. We kept Korey Sheets on the roster too last year for a reason. I am holding out on him as the KR that Parcells has been coveting plus a quick scatt back. I am not up on Tristan Davis so much who was also on the active roster at year end. Granted it was due to injuries to Brown and Cobbs but if those 2 hadn't showed anything last year then they would not be here now. So if you go with popular opinion that Brown, Williams and Cobbs are locks then you have Hillard, Sheets and Davis fighting it to set on the bench. Until the end of the supplemental draft I was considering if perhaps the Phin's could have some sort of trade in the works for someone like Brown in an attempt to regain that pick lost for the Marshall trade which would have made sense to take a chance on Unga. I also am not as high as most to think that Cobbs is a lock. That knee may not be all the back yet.
Wish the supplemental draft had some quality OLB, FS OR a TE in it we have more needs currently in those areas.

i'd like to see more cb blitzes from vontae davis...whether he be lined up outside or over the slot...bring heat with vontae...

He only had one all year but he supposedly got a pressure on that one play.

Nolan seems like a guy that blitzes the safeties more than the CBs but I think Vontae and Will Allen will get some more blitzes than they did under Pasqualoni. Paul only wanted to blitz Gibril, Yeremiah or Nate Jones this year. Together they accounted for something like 85 blitzes. Not that I can blame him for picking them, since it might have been a little confusing to give the rookies some more of those assignments I suppose.

yeah i think we didn't see vontae blitz much cause that was just one more thing he would have to put on his plate...i expect this year for that to be more frequent as he's more comfortable...cause from a physical standpoint i see no reason that vontae davis shouldn't be attacking on the blitz...

The Dolphins(including unsigned draft picks) stand right now at 80 players, the maximum amount that you are allowed to have for training camp. Don't expect any additions to the team before TC starts for the simple fact that they would need to release someone to do it. Once camp gets going though, I expect a few moves at the bottom end of the roster. If they really want to add another running back to the mix(no real need to) they could always sign Quentin Castille.

Don't sleep on Tyrone Culver. Very solid DB for us last year. By no means was he a reason we gave up big plays.

I also see Will Allen as a possible option there. I am not as down as many on how bad Jason Allen played last year when called on and of course there is a chance for a 3rd CB to emerge on the roster which would give the Phins the chance to move Will Allen there. He has good hands, the experieince needed to command the troups back there, like to hit some and it might even prolong his career if that knee of his is iffy.

I had thought that was an option there based on one rumor that I heard as well as some language that Tony Sparano used about that position that seemed to frame his line of thinking about it. Since then I think things have developed to where they're genuinely looking at starting Clemons or Culver IMO.

It could also depend a little on Jason Allen and Nolan Carroll.

Make Cobbs your fifth WR, just saying he was awesome in 08 at WR.

He isn't that good of a wideout. He ran hitches and curls most of the time to get the ball in space. I dont think he can run daggers and arrows and double moves. He's a serviceable wideout when moved from RB though.

Back
Top Bottom