Supplamental draft - Bears draft Unga | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Supplamental draft - Bears draft Unga

I'm not concerned about OLB beyond Misi and Wake so much as pass rusher beyond Misi and Wake. Or really beyond Wake, since Misi is almost totally unproven in that regard.

We're going to probably re-introduce Yeremiah Bell as a blitzer. I don't know if anyone remembers but back in Saban's day when Bell was just a nickel/dime guy, they blitzed Bell a lot and he looked pretty darn good. Over the past two years Bell has blitzed 69 times, has 3 sacks, 4 hits, 5 pressures. That's pretty good. Losing Nate Jones is a blow because he had a heck of a feel for DB blitzing, but Vontae Davis has to be a good blitzer I imagine.

In Denver last year Mike Nolan had Brian Dawkins blitz 44 times. Altogether they had 69 safety blitzes. Miami had their share, too. They had 59 safety blitzes. I think Miami blitzed DBs more than Nolan. But I think that Nolan will increase Vontae Davis' blitz totals (only did it 1 time in 2009) and increase Yeremiah Bell's. Hopefully that will pay off a little bit. I think more important than how many times you blitz those guys, is teaching them how to do it and be more effective.

People might be shocked at this, but Sean Smith isn't a bad blitzer himself either.

I think we will see times where Clemons or Culver blitzes as well too. Clemons has got some pretty darn good acceleration at the start of his bursts and Culver is an explosive athlete.

I had thought that was an option there based on one rumor that I heard as well as some language that Tony Sparano used about that position that seemed to frame his line of thinking about it. Since then I think things have developed to where they're genuinely looking at starting Clemons or Culver IMO.

It could also depend a little on Jason Allen and Nolan Carroll.

Dropping back to the OLB position for a minute and I know its way early but I think Philip Merling could be a option there. He is fairly quick, his pass rush is his strength and he has not been exactly holding down the fort since they picked him up as a DE. He would be better Matt Roth option. We are extremely deep along that DL too compared to OLB.

Clemons can blitz but Culver is not a good blitzer at all. I've watched his blitzes. Actually I watched every single one of his snaps.

I don't know if Sean Smith is a good blitzer or not because he didn't do it once in 2009. Not even one time. Even Vontae got one blitz in there.

The Phil Merling OLB option was nixed the day Mike Nolan joined. Merling's not moving out to OLB. It could have been possible with Pasqualoni at the helm, the precedent was there with Matt Roth and they even tried Vonnie Holliday for a short period, and they had Merling play OLB in the second half of a couple of preseason games his rookie year. But Nolan will not have him there. He demands his LBs to be mobile.

Clemons can blitz but Culver is not a good blitzer at all. I've watched his blitzes. Actually I watched every single one of his snaps.

I don't know if Sean Smith is a good blitzer or not because he didn't do it once in 2009. Not even one time. Even Vontae got one blitz in there.

The Phil Merling OLB option was nixed the day Mike Nolan joined. Merling's not moving out to OLB. It could have been possible with Pasqualoni at the helm, the precedent was there with Matt Roth and they even tried Vonnie Holliday for a short period, and they had Merling play OLB in the second half of a couple of preseason games his rookie year. But Nolan will not have him there. He demands his LBs to be mobile.

I saw Smith blitz some in college and he isn't too bad of a blitzer. Its weird about Culver, because he is an explosive athlete. But if he was below par at blitzing, then theres no point in trying him there more. I remember Vontae's blitz. He got pressure fast and with ease, but I think we gave up a big play on that.

I saw Smith blitz some in college and he isn't too bad of a blitzer. Its weird about Culver, because he is an explosive athlete. But if he was below par at blitzing, then theres no point in trying him there more. I remember Vontae's blitz. He got pressure fast and with ease, but I think we gave up a big play on that.
Smith is a good blitzer he just didn't do it enough. I'm surprised that Culver is a below average blitzer, he seems like a good blitzer. With Vontae he may give up the big play, but his athleticism can make up for it most times.

I'm not supprised by that. It seems like every other series we were giving up a big play.

Back
Top Bottom