Tannehill STILL hasn't had surgery | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill STILL hasn't had surgery

I want Ryan to do whatever it takes to come back better than ever, I think we can all agree on that.

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks he's a genius, and more importantly, a medical genius. I mean the guy was a biology major who thought about becoming an orthopedic surgeon, how does that equate to him knowing more about medicine than any other pre med student?

Not trying to start anything, but I've been curious about this line of thinking. Perhaps I've missed something. Nothing about him screams genius to me, unless you add the "for an athlete" caveat.

Last edited:
That kind of thinking (esp. by HIM) is exactly why he is in the position he is today......he knew better than everyone (including all the doctors) when he chose to forego surgery last time....LOL
lmaoooo...actually the saying is very valid. Sometimes smart people out-think themselves.

guy is right that obviously ambulating dosnt help with swelling INTIALLY but kdawg is right in that he is under the discretion of world class orthopedists and if he is now over a week past the initial injury & being on his feet is appropriate

Last edited:
As a person who has had the same sort of I jury multiple times and also decided to forego the surgery initially and also re-injured it a simlar way later ... i understand what Tannehill.has been through and is going through.

IMHO, he NEEDS to have the surgery. I was hoping he would get it last time, but he absolutely needs to get it done now. Have your 2nd and 3rd opinion if you like, but get that surgery done immediately and get started that rehab started.

We support you Tannehill, but you need to do the smart thing and do it soon. Get the surgery. You will absolutely regret it if you do not.

First of all; anyone who thinks that the team doctors primary focus is the long term health and welfare of the players is sadly mistaken. Team doctors always do what's best for the team first, if that happens to align with what is best for the player then that is a bonus, but the needs of the team ALWAYS come first. People are saying that "he went against doctors advise" as if all doctors have the same agendas or opinions, but that is not the case. Has anyone learned anything with all of this concussion stuff going on? The league/teams don't care about the players.

Secondly, why do people think that Tannehill just made the decision against surgery in some sort of flippant manner? As Kdawg mentioned earlier, Tanny's financial situation gives him access to better medical care and information than most of us, he's definitely smart enough to take advantage of that. In fact, Tanny would have been remiss if he didn't seek as much advise and information as was available to him, because ultimately his long term health and welfare that should be most important to him and his family.

I get it; I am SUPER disappointed that Tanny is out for the year, especially considering the promise he showed last year, but we all have to remember that these are real people with real lives to be concerned with outside of football, not just play things for our amusement.

First of all; anyone who thinks that the team doctors primary focus is the long term health and welfare of the players is sadly mistaken. Team doctors always do what's best for the team first, if that happens to align with what is best for the player then that is a bonus, but the needs of the team ALWAYS come first. People are saying that "he went against doctors advise" as if all doctors have the same agendas or opinions, but that is not the case. Has anyone learned anything with all of this concussion stuff going on? The league/teams don't care about the players.

Secondly, why do people think that Tannehill just made the decision against surgery in some sort of flippant manner? As Kdawg mentioned earlier, Tanny's financial situation gives him access to better medical care and information than most of us, he's definitely smart enough to take advantage of that. In fact, Tanny would have been remiss if he didn't seek as much advise and information as was available to him, because ultimately his long term health and welfare that should be most important to him and his family.

I get it; I am SUPER disappointed that Tanny is out for the year, especially considering the promise he showed last year, but we all have to remember that these are real people with real lives to be concerned with outside of football, not just play things for our amusement.

Hmmm...funny though..... he's ok with taking & risking millions of dollars of the team's money to finance his "real life outside of football" .....guess he should have no qualms about the team's concerns or needs, huh?

That kind of thinking (esp. by HIM) is exactly why he is in the position he is today......he knew better than everyone (including all the doctors) when he chose to forego surgery last time....LOL
You don't have a clue what his doctors told him in either situation.

You don't have a clue what his doctors told him in either situation.

You're correct (and, of course, neither do you).......but he'd be the first NFL player/athlete with an ACL injury in history to have a medical expert say "Nah.....don't get the surgery to correct it....just try the stem cell thing and see if it solves the problem"

You're correct (and, of course, neither do you).......but he'd be the first NFL player/athlete with an ACL injury in history to have a medical expert say "Nah.....don't get the surgery to correct it....just try the stem cell thing and see if it solves the problem"
(I never claimed to, you did)

You also don't know the extent of the injury nor anything about its treatment. You don't know the medical advice he got nor would you understand it if you did.

ACL injuries recur all the time. There's no reason to believe he wouldn't have reinjured it had he opted for surgery instead (probably against doctors' advice), at least none that you can outline, because you don't know nor understand the extent of the injury nor its treatment options.

You're just angry that a player got injured in a violent sport and want somebody to blame.

Back
Top Bottom