Tannehill vs RG3 this year.....RG3 who?? Tannehill looked way better see for yourself | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill vs RG3 this year.....RG3 who?? Tannehill looked way better see for yourself

Hand size means nothing. Dan Marino had small hands. Daunte Culpepper had tiny hands if I recall, which didn't stop him from throwing for like 4700 yards one year nor was it related to the fact that his brains were even tinier.

It's just one of those things that people measure and because they have... want to turn into something relevant. If they started measuring how far apart quarterbacks' eyes are people would instantly turn that into a "depth perception" metric and swear up and down it was predictive of something.

Lol Marino didn't have small hands.

From what I saw, and from more than just that game, Griffin's deep ball is incredibly accurate. Much more so than Tannehill's, but tannehill has experience as a wide out before his 20 starts for A&M. I still think Griffin is the better quarterback and athelete, behind NFL talent he would shine brighter under the right coaches. But that doesn't mean I don't like our other option. Baylor's defense wasn't exactly stellar last year at all, Tanny's deep ball would have been picked off, way behind the receiver and not in stride, and his first on the video was better but also not as impressive.

Griffin: 28/40 for 430 yards with 3 td's and 1 int (garbage time and still gave his receiver a chance to catch it, a strong move somebody like BM can catch)

Tanny: 25/37 for 415 yards with 6 td's and 1 int (a horrible interception that he tried to force, 6 touchdowns against a poor defense BUT still impressive nonetheless)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have kept an eye on Tannehill and Griffin since the season started. Tannehill is a project but not as much as you think. He will be ready as much as most QBs especially being under the same college coach. I am all in on acquiring him with the eighth pick for about a month now. one thing i will not do is draft an right tackle with the eighth pick.

Had the smallest hands of all the QBs at the Combine.. measuring a 9 when the avg is 9.25 or 9.5. Could be a concern in rainy, snowy and cold weather, especially for such a big guy and considering that Drew Brees's handsize is a 10.25. (although Vick's is 8.5 and that doesn't seem to be a problem in Philly lately). Not saying it's a knock out punch or even close.... just something else to factor in.

Didnt Dan Marino have relatively small hands? I heard that awhile back but couldnt find anything via google to what his exact hand measurment is.

the ball looks pretty big in his hand (no homosapien) n

danmarino_display_image-1.jpg

I thought this was interesting to see the thought process of picking a QB

QUARTERBACK CHECKLIST

#1 ARM STRENGTH : The Redskins overlooked this in drafting Heath Shuler at #3 IN 1994, as did the Bears in taking Cade McNown at #12 in 1999. " Name the last great quarterback who didn't have a strong arm," says former Giants passer Phil Simms. " I can't." In this draft, Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt and Kellen Clemens of Oregon would please Simms.
#2 FOOTBALL IQ : "The most important thing we do in evaluating a quarterback," says Titans coach Jeff Fisher, "is putting him up in front of our staff, firing questions at him and seeing if he can break down defenses and analyze why he makes certain decisions." Teams like that Matt Leinart got a head start by studying the NFL game tape last fall while at USC.
#3 ACCURACY : Michael Vick of the Falcons, the #1 pick in 2001, remains vexed by what troubled him at Virginia Tech : a low completion percentage. Vick's rate is 54.1% , about five points BELOW the league average. That's two or three completions per game that stops drives.
#4 MOBILITY : Good Vision and nimble feet can make up for sheer speed. The Colts Peyton Manning , the first pick in the 1998 draft, can move in the pocket and avoid rushers well enough.
#5 LEADERSHIP : Tom Brady is a regular at the Patriots' off-season workout programs. It's not hard to get full attendance when this era's Joe Montana leads the way.
#6 TOUGHNESS : Packers GM Tom Wolf, whom traded for Brett Favre in 1992 and later drafted Matt Hasselbeck in the 6th round in 1998, figured out Favre when, 31 days after stomach surgery, Favre took the field and led his college team, Southern Mississippi, to victory.
#7 RESUME : Says Saints coach Sean Payton, " I want to see a winner, a competitor, a guy who plays great from behind, a guy who plays well in big games." Though Cutler was on a bad Vanderbilt team, coaches believe he raised the play of the Commodores significantly.
#8 MATURITY : In 1998 the Chargers (drafting 2nd) overlooked such red flags around Ryan Leaf as his skipping his interview with the Colts (who held the 1st pick) at the scouting combine.
#9 PEDIGREE : " I love a coach's or player's son," says Eagles coach Andy Reid. "Favre, Hasselbeck, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, A.J. Feeley-- they've had the competitive part of the game pounded into them. They're going to know what it takes to win."
#10 HAND SIZE : No Kidding. Teams want a guy whose outstretched throwing hand measures at least 9 1/2 inches from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger. The Eagles knocked Daunte Culpepper off their draft list in 1999 in part because of his small hands.

Heisman means nothing. Would you rather have Tim Tebow or Matt Stafford?

that wasn't my point I said he has hype BECAUSE of the heisman not because his 40 also I used the fact that he won the heisman over luck which means he's as good if not better than luck

that wasn't my point I said he has hype BECAUSE of the heisman not because his 40 also I used the fact that he won the heisman over luck which means he's as good if not better than luck
Again, Tebow won it over Stafford. Who would you rather have at QB?

r u crazy, stafford, it's not even close...

Yet Griffin is worth trading a whole draft for despite having a long delivery, no experience under center, locking onto recievers, and bailing out of the pocket at the slightest sign of pressure or the reciever that he was staring down is covered.

Griffin is defintely worth trading up for. In the end, who out of these two will have a better prosperous career in the nfl-Griffin or Tannehill? i think Ross/Ireland and Philbin will regret not trying to move up to get Griffin.

Griffin is defintely worth trading up for. In the end, who out of these two will have a better prosperous career in the nfl-Griffin or Tannehill? i think Ross/Ireland and Philbin will regret not trying to move up to get Griffin.
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

Back
Top Bottom