Tannehill vs Sanchez supporting cast?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by yolli71, Dec 18, 2012.

1. yolli71

yolli71 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I know Sanchez sucks, but we always hear about how he's never been surrounded by any talent. How has his supporting cast been any worse than what Tannehill has now?

Jets
    WR - Holmes, Kerley, Edwards, and their 2nd round pick Hill
    RB - Greene, McKnight, Powell
    TE - Keller

Dolphins
    WR - Hartline, Bess, bunch of scrubs
    RB - Bush, Thomas, Miller (who's barely played)
    TE - Fasano

I know Holmes and Keller have been out for much of this year, but Sanchez sucked last year too when he had them for the full season. And he's always had a pretty solid O-line w/ Ferguson, Mangold, and Moore. I'd say that Tannehill's supporting cast is just as bad if not worse, yet he's playing way better than Sanchez. Maybe Tannehill should get more credit for his play with such a weak offensive squad.

2. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Eh. To be honest, does it really matter. Sanchez probably just played his last career game as a starting qb in the nfl and Tannys career is just starting. One is a first round bust and one is a rookie who's book has yet to be written

3. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Sanchez is the worst QB in the NFL. Supporting cast doesn't matter when you are as inept as Sanchez

4. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

When healthy there's substantially more talent on that jests O, but it doesn't matter with Sanchez. His ineptitude might ruin Hill's promising career. Stick Sanchez on Arizona and he'd waste Fitzgerald as thoroughly as a Skelton or Lindley does. Because that's the quality of QB he is: ****.

5. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

hey, they dont call him Sanchize for nothing...

6. BGtoKNfor6

BGtoKNfor6 Where is the reset button?

Sanchez flourished because his defense was lights out. You cannot discount the effect of Ladanian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Holmes, Keller, etc. That is a pretty decent cast even with LT being on the downside of his career. Miami has never had close to that offensively in the past decade.

Many knew it was a huge reach when the jets traded up to draft him. However his early success because of the defense hid his inadequacies. Now that the defense sucks, he is being forced to be a real qb and win games that he never had to in the past and couldn't anyway.

I wonder if Sparano brought out the air horn in training camp. Did Henne wonders...

7. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

he was drafted way too high to begin with.

8. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

If this ends up being true, he is about to become the highest paid backup in the league. His 2013 cap hit for the Jets is going to be around $13 million. They will have a cap hit of $17 million if they cut him. :lol:

9. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Pete Carroll knew what he was talking about when he declared Taco not ready for prime time.

10. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

That & Pete Carroll was right. Sancheez should have stayed w/ the Trojans for 1 more yr.

11. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

The key difference is the 50 TO by dirty sanchez over the last 2 years.

12. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

I remember thinking how selfish Pete Carroll was by declaring Sanchez not being ready for the NFL. Obviously in hindsight, Pete was right. I am not sure that the extra year at USC would have helped but one thing I am sure of is the Jets handled him wrong from the start. At this point, I don't think he will ever make it, even as a back up. He lacks the mental toughness needed to be a successful leader and QB.

13. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I wouldn't be upset if we signed Sanchez to be our backup at league minimum if Moore and Devlin end up going elsewhere.

14. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

No chance.. Devlin has shown a lot of promise, even if against 3rd stringers.. I'm curious about him..

15. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Moore who is arguably the 3rd best QB in the division will be moving on to compete for a starting job...Sight unseen I would take Devlin over Sanchez, as I would most any mentally-tough back-up over Taco not named Curtis Painter thank you.

16. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yep Moore is probably a goner. I wouldn't dump Devlin for Stinkchez but I doubt we can stash him away forever. I'm just saying I would take Sanchez over using a draft pick on another backup, for now.

17. fsuhunter

fsuhunter Rookie

To be fair, in the past there were times when Sanchez looked decent and even good. This year he got Sparanoed.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

you can't compare the 2 since Holmes and Keller have been out much of the season and we just got Edwards last week. Most of the season we've Kerley as our #1 w/ Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates(who couldn't make your team), Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland as his main weapons.

when healthy his supporting cast is better but our supporting cast this year w/ all the injuries was nowhere near as good as what Ryan had.

19. ryanosaur2000

ryanosaur2000 A True Fan Donator

As many of us have being saying for four years, Sanchez is a game manager who needs a strong run game and a dominating defense in order to win games. This whole "he got the team to two divisional playoff games" thing was silly and we are now seeing how delusional many Jets fans were about Sanchez.

As for Tannehill, only time will tell how he is going to work out. Let's get him more weapons to play with and then we can start to make comparisons with other QBs. I am not willing to make the same mistakes Jets' fans made with Sanchez and talk up Tannehill only to look a fool in two years time.

20. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

No way!!! I'd rather develop someone who I think might have upside.

21. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

Regardless of all circumstances, his performance on MNF had nothing to do with anyone around him, he threw comeback route late enoug for the CB to break and make an INT, over threw his TE with 4 DBs around him and air mailed it to the Safety for an INT, threw into Double Coverage to Braylon and air mailed that one into the clouds for an INT, and with the game still on the line in the redzone double pumped with his happy feet and threw into Triple Coverage for an INT, not one of those had anything to do with the WR, just all awful throws by a 4th year QB who after every game says "I cant keep making those mistakes", and the fumble the snap was low yes, but instead of just falling on the ball he tried to pick it up while dropping back and fumbled it again, on the national stage Sanchez was exposed AGAIN, if the Patriots game wasnt enough, then the Titans game had to be, if your not ready to admit he is just simply not a good QB, I honestly dont know what else to say, eventually you have to blame him

Forget all the interceptions, how about that simple 4 yard check down pass to Shonn Green wide open over the middle and Sanchez with his normal panick feet hopping around double patting the ball, fired the ball at Green high above his head, zero touch, zero accuracy, on a 4 yard dump off to your WIDE OPEN running back

22. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

We should really put all Mark Sanchez debates to bed. He may not even be the Jets starting QB next season. The 4 road playoff wins and 2 title game appearances were nice but this is ending how many on this board thought it would. As my buddy, a Jets fan said, no matter how good the supporting cast it will always be road playoff games with Sanchez because he's never good enough in the regular season to get a home playoff game.

23. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I think that had more to do w/ a guy named Tom Brady. he led us to 11 wins in 2010, good enough to win most divisions, the SB champs last yar won 9, 2 years ago 10.

24. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Thanks dude, I really needed a good laugh.....lol

Ozzy rules!!

25. MadDog 88

I would not be at all surprised if Matt Moore signs with the Jets in the off season.

26. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

That would be interesting, he'd have a shot to start but would his poor practices keep Sanchez in the drivers seat?

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the supporting cast is a moot point...sanchez has been in the league half a decade already and he still shows he can't make protection adjustments at the los and recognize free blitz pressure or make solid decisions with the football anywhere near the level ryan tannehill has to date...and while tannehills accuracy and placement on some things has been a little off at times it's nowhere near the inconsistent level sanchez is as a passer...

the jets need to start over...miamis got it's qb...sanchez hasn't improved in going on 3 full years now...ryans a fool if he stands by that guy anymore

28. MadDog 88

I would be even more surprised if Sanchez is on the Jets opening day. The fans in that stadium will be brutal on him as soon as he comes out of the tunnel. That's a distraction they need to avoid and I think they will.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

every time i watch the jets i see more bad decisions from the qb and late throws and bad edge rush blitz recognition and accounting for then i have seen in a half seasons worth of games with tannehill...i'm not kidding you...monday night he had single high at the snap was late as heck releasing the ball down the sideline and had safeties basically fair catching ints...got sacked multiple times cause he failed to pick up things at the los something you see weekly with him these days...kids made ZERO progress...if anything he's regressed

it's just bad qb play...you can't win when your qb takes you out of games with poor decision making and late decisions at that and takes sacks that he's responsible for...

new york better get a qb in there with that top pick...b/t sanchez tebow and sparanos dumb *** the jets are screwed

30. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

lets hope they don't. Would love to see Sanchez again there next year but I don't see it happening even after stupidly signing him to that ridiculous extension.

31. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

i think tannehill is a rookie no? sanchez is not, no excuses he just blows.. only way he is successful is if he has a great run game and a great defense lol

32. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

We were told that the Jets are elite and have been one of the best teams in the AFC the last few years. There are NO excuses for this team.

33. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Honestly, and I've said this before, my big fear is that Matt Moore signs with the Jets. He's instantly a huge upgrade to their QB position and Kerley and Hill are two guys who I think will be pretty solid receivers for them if they get some good QB play.

34. dolphans1

dolphans1 Banned Hammered

The Jets started the demise of Mark Sanchez by bringing in Tim Tebow, which by the way, was a horrible decision and so was the hiring of Sparano.

The Jets have been decimated by a rash of injuries and Sanchez has been made the scapegoat. The Sanchez fumble was the fault of their center, who unfortunately for the Jets, snaped the ball low and Sanchez was moving back away from the ball, Sanchez should have made more of an effort to jump on the ball, but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes. Mark Sanchez also tried to force too many throws into coverage.

d-1

35. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

Wow, just wow!

Couldn't happen to a better team.

36. luduporcu

luduporcu Banned Hammered

He's d*(k.

37. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

Brian Hartline is better than anyone the Jets line up out there at WR. It's not even close. If Santonio Holmes wouldn't have gotten hurt, Sanchez would've had a better season, period. I thought that Hill kid could've been something but he seems to be dumber than a stump. Dustin Keller is a good deal better than any of our TEs, but he's been nonproductive because of injury.

38. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

Also. Miami's receivers prove that they have some brains because if they don't, they're no longer Miami receivers. It took Gaffney forever to even get on the field and then I think the coaches realized that Matthews could do better anyway and didn't wanna wait for Gaffney to get healthy...again. Anthony Armstrong was obviously not smart enough to last.
    So for that reason I'd have to say that Miami's WRs are just better football players than the Jets guys, even if some of the Jets guys may have more physical talent.

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

When was TY Hilton drafted? Before or after Egnew? Was he there for the taking and we passed him over?

39. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I am told every year how much better you guys are and you never are. No QB could win w/ the healthy weapons we had this year.

I think they did but it wasn't w/ Tebow, it was bringing in new receivers every year then this year bringing in tebow(I still am not against Tebow they just don't know how to use him).

2009 they had Cotchery, Braylon(for 12 games) and David Clowney as top 3 WRs
    2010: Cotch, Braylon and Holmes(12 games)
    2011: Holmes, Plaxico, Kerley
    2012: Kerley, Schilens, Gates/Hill(after injuries)

this year our O was decimated w/ injuries and we didn't have depth. he played most of the year w/ kerley as his #1 WR, w/ Chaz Schilens who was supposed to be just a deep threat 4th/5th WR, Clyde Gates(who caouldn't make Miami's roster), jeff Cumberland and Konrad Reuland as our TEs. If you watch our games you'll see he has nowhere to throw most of the time, some smart team will pick him up and he will thrive in this league.

40. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Anyone else think its a coincidence that Mark Sanchez got a huge contract extension this past offseason and now he plays worse? I'm still baffled at how the Jets gave him an extension this offseason for $20 million in guarantees. Thats probably the worst GM move I've ever seen in the NFL....even worse than anything Al Davis has ever done.