Tannehill's cadence is tipping off the running game | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's cadence is tipping off the running game

Has nobody watched Dolphin games?

Is it only me that's heard snap counts differently?

I'm not saying I listened that close to every play, nor will I pour over a game to
find out, I'm just saying that I've heard "Go-Go" as a pass at least once.

Omar mentioned this on WQAM, probably a good indication he's lurking here. Said he thinks its affecting the running game. I wonder how long before it becomes a big thing in the media? If we do get to the playoffs or, heaven forbid, the Superbowl, two of Philbins innovations will be scrutinized to death:
1. Go-Go=run
2. Thursdays off

Omar ABSOLUTELY lurks here. He's got a number of handles too. I've got at least one narrowed down.
He's got rabbit ears.

I'm not saying I listened that close to every play, nor will I pour over a game to
no its not just you... in fact, I cant believe this thread is still going on...

They do mix it up once in a while but at least 95% of the time go=pass and go-go=run. They go silent a good amount too, would be interesting to compare the running game on silent vs go-go snap count (sample size obviously way too small at this point to mean anything though).

The times they mix it up could be them reacting to the defense cheating on the snap counts too.

the whole thing is intentional. its a strategy, and a pretty simple one at that. Make the opponent believe that the snap count dictates whether its a run or a pass. If the opponent bites, then change it up and make'em pay for it... if they don't bite, just keep doing it. its that fking simple. And up until now, opposing teams haven't changed the way they react to a play because of it, example: 1yard line against the Falcons they all went for the run... Now its anyone's right to support or dislike that strategy, but its still arguable and its not something that the staff doesn't know about...

the whole thing is intentional. its a strategy, and a pretty simple one at that. Make the opponent believe that the snap count dictates whether its a run or a pass. If the opponent bites, then change it up and make'em pay for it... if they don't bite, just keep doing it. its that fking simple. And up until now, opposing teams haven't changed the way they react to a play because of it, example: 1yard line against the Falcons they all went for the run... Now its anyone's right to support or dislike that strategy, but its still arguable and its not something that the staff doesn't know about...

I find it hard to believe that a staff in the NFL isn't doing something this simple on purpose.

I'm sure Philbin didn't start doing this in games Willy nilly, he's likely discussed a ton with Coyle and the defensive players and they've obviously concluded that the defense can't exploit it much if at all. I think there are positives and negatives and at the end of the day it all balances out to be neutral for our offense.

Also, I would guess that Philbin probably didn't invent this, he's likely faced it at some point in his career and was shocked to discover he couldn't exploit it. If he did come up with it himself and it works then great, innovation is a sign of genius.

THIS YEAR?? I would like to know when, I have went through every snap since the start of the Browns game and I have yet to find one time that GO GO isn't a run, and GO isn't a pass. I was thinking they would change it up at the end of the Falcons game on the PA TD to Sims but nope, that pass was GO.

Nah, it definitely hasn't been EVERY snap. For sure. It might be *most* but they have DEFINITELY mixed it up at least a couple times in each game.

I'm sure Philbin didn't start doing this in games Willy nilly, he's likely discussed a ton with Coyle and the defensive players and they've obviously concluded that the defense can't exploit it much if at all. I think there are positives and negatives and at the end of the day it all balances out to be neutral for our offense.

Also, I would guess that Philbin probably didn't invent this, he's likely faced it at some point in his career and was shocked to discover he couldn't exploit it. If he did come up with it himself and it works then great, innovation is a sign of genius.
If WHAT works?? How can yelling to the defense if the play is run or pass possibly help the offense. Do you think some of the offense forgot if it was run or pass? I know concussions are becoming a big issue, but if our players are having trouble remembering if the play he just called was a run or pass, we have bigger issues than trying to win a ball game.

As for those saying it doesn't help the defense well that is just crazy talk. Zach used to yell out if it was a run or pass a second after the ball was snapped. I remember one time after playing the rams, Warner talking on Sports Center about how annoying it was for Zach to know all the plays and never getting them wrong.

How could a PA fake EVER work??

Nah, it definitely hasn't been EVERY snap. For sure. It might be *most* but they have DEFINITELY mixed it up at least a couple times in each game.

I have all three TV versions of the games we have played so far. Some times the annoucers are talking and you can't hear, but close to a quarter of the time you can hear it clearly. Give me one play that he "MIXED IT UP". One just one. He might have mixed up last year or in preseason but not in the regular season. Not that I have heard. I didn't believe them about this either and I have yet to find a single time when they changed it up.

As for those saying it doesn't help the defense well that is just crazy talk.

Obviously our coaches feel differently so we'll see... unless you're suggesting they don't realize its happening? If thats the case we have bigger issues than if the defense is getting a head start because we obviously have a bunch of dopes for coaches.

THIS YEAR?? I would like to know when, I have went through every snap since the start of the Browns game and I have yet to find one time that GO GO isn't a run, and GO isn't a pass. I was thinking they would change it up at the end of the Falcons game on the PA TD to Sims but nope, that pass was GO.
And what was the result of that play, and did the defense drop into coverage or bit on the run fake?

I know this thread is almost a month old, but from the snaps I heard Sunday against the bills, every single Go was a Throw.
Also, every single Go-Go was a run and on the couple Go-Gos where Tanne didn't hand it off, he ran it himself.

I imagine the D-line can hear this, can the LBs?
This is so strange...

Last edited by a moderator:
For all of those that have last years games, or sundays game recorded, can anyone show me "one" play, that was not a running play, when Tannehills cadence ends with a " GO GO"?

I am not an NFL coach, but I have coached enough football to pick up verbal tendancies. Is it possible that defenses have also caught on to this?
dude your right, i noticed thst too, and now they're talkung bout it on radio

Back
Top Bottom