TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league.

He will thrive in our offense with his beast size and speed. Who honestly can cover him? What linebacker/ safety can logically cover someone with that size and speed?

Tell me your kiddin bro!

"So think about all that, a 6’5” and 250+ lbs man that broad jumps a little shy of what Calvin Johnson did and runs a 4.48 second 40 yard dash, can leap 37.5 inches vertically"

Nasty! Dear god i hope philbin and staff coach, develop and game plan as well as he communicates.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Hernandez was a major threat his speed was unreal and far more agile than this guy PLEASE don't make the comparison. Find me a clip of Egnew catching a ball, changing directions for 30-40 yards like Hernandez did.

Your freaking kiddin if you don't see the athletic ability of this guy on par with Hernandez..
[video=youtube;diclp2_25ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diclp2_25ys[/video]

I have posted my thoughts on this forum many times since we drafted him.

I -HATED- this pick with a passion. Worst draft pick of the draft for us. We reached for a TE because the freaking Colts took Fleener AND Allen. 3rd round for this scrub was too high.

Incidentally no I'm not kidding about the 4.48. Checked, re-checked to make sure, he crossed 40 yards of distance in 4.48 seconds. I re-measured all the guys the same way, starting the timer from the moment their back foot leaves their stance. About 90 percent of the time what I get is eerily close to the NFL Network unofficial time that you see live on the broadcast. That broadcast had him at a 4.53 but even that was off, because of his rolling start.

I don't think this was a reach at all. I believe he's going to be an excellent player for the Dolphins if the quarterback position sorts itself out. I think the Dolphins will run a very TE friendly scheme, and particularly a scheme that will be friendly to the type of TE that he is. On Fins Radio I was asked which guy has the best shot at a pro bowl aside from Tannehill and I had to answer Lamar Miller but that was just because of the competition. I could say Jon Martin but he's always going to be in the shadow of Jake Long. I could say Olivier Vernon but he's always going to be in the shadow of Cam Wake. The guy with the best shot aside from Miller may be Egnew, because of the offense Philbin runs, and because Gronkowski can really only occupy one pro bowl tight end spot every year. His main competition will be Aaron Hernandez, Dustin Keller, Owen Daniels, Coby Fleener and Antonio Gates. Any given year, in this offense, the way Philbin used Finley...wouldn't be shocked.

"If you can find me a recent Missouri tight end that’s done well in the pros, let me know," one NFC scout said. "They’re too one-dimensional."

This guys is saying this like we expected him to be able to block? I'm pretty sure Ieland knew this guy wasnt a blocker.

How many University of Pittsburg QB's have made it in the NFL?

I mean this statement is pure ignorance!

So dumb...Besides, we already have an all dimensional Tight End in Fasano and he isn't exactly "lighting it up"

But take in to consideration that Egrew is inn a offense that will serve him and the Dolphins as well compared to the former Missouri tes..

This guy is a glorified wr. Some love that idea, some dont. the question is - will he be a starting TE that never blocks, or will he be a 2nd TE that never blocks. it depends on the scheme. I'm not sure if this FO drafted the kid to be our main TE b/c they dont value blocking, or if they drafted him to add to the crop of fasano (the blocker) and clay (the other mismatch guy).

philbin has been adement about a TE that blocks first. I'm not sure if this was a smoke screen, or if he is happy with fasano/yeatman and wanted to add another receiving TE.

only time will tell - i'm really not sure what will transpire with egnew. I've heard from philbin, incognito, and others that the new offense caters to our current strengths, and that the GB playbook was not going to be just plopped down on miami like a cookie cut out.

i say we just wait and see what this kids role will be and how he adapts to the NFL before we start calling him "our finley"

I love all the talet evaluators on this site. Any of these kids are a crap shoot. Some of the high picks go bust, and some late and undrated picks turn out to be excellent players. Let's give the kid a chance and see what the new Coach can do with him and the others. All I'm saying is, let's not jump to conclusion's.

Unlike a lot of teams (Dallas, Indy, New England) Miami doesn't utilize Tight Ends very much. How big a part of our offense is Fasano? Hell we haven't really used a TE here since Randy McMichael, so why give two craps about the doubters and skeptics? We are implementing a new West Coast offense and I like Egnew's potential. He has as good a chance to still be in the NFL in five years as Tim Tebow.

Not completely true. The last time we had a competent QB (2008), our TE's combined for very respectable stats:
Fasano: 34 rec, 454 yds, 13.4 avg, 7 TDs
Martin: 31 rec, 450 yds, 14.5 avg, 3 TDs

Is it that he can't block or he hasn't really been asked to in the Missouri offense. I think they're 2 different things. I remember when they said Roger Craig couldn't catch because he didn't have many reception at Nebraska.

Back
Top Bottom