Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ten FA's That Fit The Dolphins Future

Elliott 1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I'm basing my choices on these assumptions: Crowder,Sapp,Culver,and Berger will be traded or cut. I think there may also be another surprise cut or two as well. I don't see the cap being raised much from the former amount but with Ricky,Ronnie,Penny, and the others not returning, the Dolphins should have some cap space to work. Ross has made a few mistakes but his pockets are very very deep and he is on record saying he is willing to spend.

The Dolphins defense was ranked 6th last year and we aren't losing any starters except, hopefully, Crowder. With a little help from a couple free agents, I really believe we could contend for the #1 spot. Brady must be stopped, and that means pass rushing. I am on the move Misi bandwagon. I think Misi could become an elite Mike LB. I think we can find better pass rushers to play outside, but Misi's skills appear to indicate he should be an excellent blitzer coming up the middle. Doesn't take much to beat out Crowder at this or pass coverage.

1. Mathias Kiwanuka OLB. Risky? Maybe, but he is a perfect fit across from Wake. Expensive? maybe, but next year's draft class looks atrocious. Now is the time to make this move! Kiwanuka was a tweener in the Giants 4-3, I think he would make a seemless transition to the 3-4. He is the best pure pass rusher in this year's, and very likely next year's free agent class as well. Doubt Lawson will be available, but he would also fit nicely.

2. Travis Laboy OLB. When healthy, a very good situational pass rusher.

3. DeAngelo Williams RB. We have all read the pro's and con's here, but the bottom line is; DeAngelo is the best RB in free agency and he would be a perfect compliment to Daniel Thomas.

4. Mario Harvey ILB Can anyone please tell me why this kid wasn't drafted?????????

5. Marc Schiechl OLB Another OLB?? Ya, Moses is a free agent and Ike isn't very good. Schiechl is crazy strong and consistently runs in the 4.6's. He is the Div 2 all time sack leader. He has good size and is smart as a whip.

6. Mike Huey OG/
/http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69088&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG
Huey missed most of last season but prior to his injury was doing very well for himself and his team. He showed extraordinary athleticism at his pro day. He could very well be the future at LG.

7. Derrick Locke RB. Why not try to sign him? He might beat out sheets or Hilliard.

8. Drew Stanton QB This guy dramatically improved his game the last couple of years and it showed in a couple come from behind victories last season for the Lions. He has earned #2 status in the NFL IMO.

9. Matt Moore QB Could be a real bargain. He may have been dragged down by a really bad situation in Carolina. He is still young and could yet be of value.

10. Blaine Sumner DT. 49 reps is bold freakish, and a 9'5" broad jump for a guy weighing 335 lbs. is just shocking. Ya, make this a priority signing. I can't believe guys like this were not drafted. This guy attended CO School of Mines, a brainiac school, he can learn to play NT in a 3-4 in probably one year on the PS or the bottom of the 53 man roster.

Love to get some input on these guys. Who would you take instead???

kiwanuka at olb at this point is nothing more than a projection...matt moore and drew staunton are garbage

Just basing my list off of NFL free agents and not undrafted rookies my list would look like this.

QB Marc Bulger - Has started for the Rams and was a decent QB until his O Line in St Louis fell apart and he got the crap beat out of him.

RB Leon Washington - I know I know, a former Jet? Leon has the speed of a scat back and is a dynamic returner killing two birds with one stone for this team.

OL Marshal Yanda - The ability to play RT or RG at a fairly high level gives us flexibility and depth at both positions in case of injuries to Carey or Jerry.

ILB Stephen Tulloch - Watch some Titans games from last year. The guy is a thumper and cleans up plays.

OLB Tamba Hali - There is your devastating pass rusher opposite of Wake.

Just basing my list off of NFL free agents and not undrafted rookies my list would look like this.

QB Marc Bulger - Has started for the Rams and was a decent QB until his O Line in St Louis fell apart and he got the crap beat out of him.

RB Leon Washington - I know I know, a former Jet? Leon has the speed of a scat back and is a dynamic returner killing two birds with one stone for this team.

OL Marshal Yanda - The ability to play RT or RG at a fairly high level gives us flexibility and depth at both positions in case of injuries to Carey or Jerry.

ILB Stephen Tulloch - Watch some Titans games from last year. The guy is a thumper and cleans up plays.

OLB Tamba Hali - There is your devastating pass rusher opposite of Wake.

Franchise Tagged and isnt going anywhere.

no ones sniffing tamba hali...i'm not sure but tullock looks undersized for a 3-4 ilb to me...bulger would be hurt within the first quarter of the first game...dudes glass

no ones sniffing tamba hali...i'm not sure but tullock looks undersized for a 3-4 ilb to me...bulger would be hurt within the first quarter of the first game...dudes glass

Def agree with you there, however....

Im much more in favor of not giving up picks and bringing Bulger in than trading any sort of compensation for McNabb, Palmer, or Kolb.

And hopefully VY isn't even mentioned. Guy is a locker room cancer.

anyone who trades a pack of gum for mcnabb with the way his legs are shot is a moron...pretty much...mcnabb is done...kolb is way overpriced and likely ticketed for arizona...

i'd trade for palmer but not if it involves a top 2 round pick...a 3rd and a 5th i'd do...but he's the only one i'd want to trade anything for...and he's risky no doubt

bulger would be penny in 2010 all over again...we'd get nothing out of him

anyone who trades a pack of gum for mcnabb with the way his legs are shot is a moron...pretty much...mcnabb is done...kolb is way overpriced and likely ticketed for arizona...

i'd trade for palmer but not if it involves a top 2 round pick...a 3rd and a 5th i'd do...but he's the only one i'd want to trade anything for...and he's risky no doubt

bulger would be penny in 2010 all over again...we'd get nothing out of him

which might be exactly what the FO has to do.

The alternatives are either too expensive or risky... or too expensive AND risky.

So essentially they will bring in a vet QB who can "compete for the job", to give henne some competition. When in reality its equivalent to practice racing with horses, when one horse is pulled up in order to give the other confidence.

False confidence is confidence nonetheless. Cant hurt IMO

which might be exactly what the FO has to do.

The alternatives are either too expensive or risky... or too expensive AND risky.

So essentially they will bring in a vet QB who can "compete for the job", to give henne some competition. When in reality its equivalent to practice racing with horses, when one horse is pulled up in order to give the other confidence.

False confidence is confidence nonetheless. Cant hurt IMO

i don't think if you do in fact trade for palmer you do so with the idea he has to compete with anyone...he's the guy to start the season at least...otherwise keep your picks and just roll with henne

Picked Bulger due to starting experience and decent play when he is healthy. I highly doubt this front office is going to trade any future picks for a QB. Let Henne start the season and have Bulger as a backup if he is not performing up to expectations. Tulloch is a bit undersized but so was Zach Thomas and between the size we have up front and Crowders lack of explosive plays I see him as a better option.

No opinions on Washington or Yanda?

Wow, Elliott 1 really manages to find these unloved small school workout warriors and stats kings.

Mario Harvey wasn't drafted for two reasons that I could tell. One, his brain makes him slow even though his feet make him fast. He doesn't see plays and pull the trigger. The NFL likes players with a trigger, guys with a sudden and decisive look. They make the plays. Harvey just floats and flows, and because he's more athletically gifted than most that worked for him in college and he was able to accumulate stats. But, in the NFL, that won't happen. He needs a trigger. The second reason is if you really pay attention and watch him, he showed a pattern of dying in the second half of games. Stamina problems. He'll get pulled in somewhere as a UDFA, and a team will see if they can't work through those problems.

I'd be willing to take a closer look at Drew Stanton. When I'd seen him before he didn't look good to me but I have to admit for these young guys sometimes it's a game to game consistency thing and that's what shows up in 2010...bad games against the Giants and Packers, good games against the Bears and Bucs. Kyle Orton is all the rage out there and if you look at some of his games you wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole, look at others and he's a franchise starter.

The only REAL evaluation on a Drew Stanton could come from extensive film study (of his unextensive career).

But I will say this. He's been superb in the preseason. Don't roll your eyes, good quarterbacks tend to perform well in the preseason. Of 46 starters and semi-starters from recent years, 6 of the top 7 preseason QB ratings measured 2006 to 2010 (no data available pre-2006) were:

#1. Aaron Rodgers - 119.0
#2. Peyton Manning - 113.3
#3. Tom Brady - 104.6
#4. Drew Brees - 102.7
#5. Matt Schaub - 100.8
#7. Phil Rivers - 98.5

You can't look at that list and tell me there's no correlation between preseason play and regular season play for QBs. Good QBs should find the preseason even easier than the regular season, and play accordingly. You'll notice a number is missing there. That'd be #6. Drew Stanton - 99.2 QB Rating. He had a 151 QB Rating in his first preseason 2008, a 112 QB Rating in his 2009 preseason and a 97 QB Rating in his 2010 preseason. Stanton has been 38 of 67 for 521 yards, 6 TDs and 2 INTs, with 2 sacks for a 9 yard loss, 24 runs for 157 yards and 2 TDs.

Matt Moore on the other hand, I just have no interest there. I've taken a look at him, I don't like what I see, I'd rather just pass and not waste my time.

come on guys...drew staunton...that guy was trash in college let alone the nfl

yanda if he gets away from baltimore there's a reason...ozzie newsome doesn't let young guys get away unless he's got a replacement or they're overpriced...i think he's a solid player but guys that get away from there in their prime due to money whatever generally underperform elsewhere...it would be about the price for me...$30 mil...nah

washington is looking for a big pay day...i think someone crazy to give him $20 mil given how much less the kick return will be part of the game due to the new rules on kickoffs and he's not the same guy since that gruesome injury...pass unless the price is very right

stay away from darren sproles and anyone on the raiders not named zach miller also...they'll all be overpriced...my advice

Back
Top Bottom