Tennenbaum, Landry and friends speak about negotiations | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tennenbaum, Landry and friends speak about negotiations

He gave his all, was under paid and helped my team win some games. For that I'll always view him in a positive light.

But

There are better options from other teams to give that money too. Trumaine Johnson, Ziggy Ansah and Sheldon Richardson would all be wiser investments based in large part because of the positions they play vs slot WR.

We won't be pursuing any of those guys, because the dumbasses who run our front office made the decision to let Landry walk in free agency instead of trading him at the deadline. Thus, in order for Mike Tannenbaum to save any face here, we must get a compensatory draft pick for Landry.

The Dolphins are so stupid it almost defies belief.

He will be back. When he finds out other teams wont pay him 15m per year either he will resign with us.

When Landry hits the market, and it looks like that is the direction it is heading...look at the team that signs him. Now after you look at that team, see if it is a team that produces consistent winning seasons. I would bet a VIP membership (I would sponsor someone) that the team who forks over 14 plus million per, is not a franchise you think of as a perennial playoff team. Teams that sign players like this (look at the Dolphins and Suh) are not teams known for making good decisions.

He will be back. When he finds out other teams wont pay him 15m per year either he will resign with us.

Unfortunately, there is going to be a need to save face: the FO, Landry and his Agent. Even if we offer the same money, he's going to leave because he has to stick to the narrative that it was disrespectful that we didn't offer him more/first.

When Landry hits the market, and it looks like that is the direction it is heading...look at the team that signs him. Now after you look at that team, see if it is a team that produces consistent winning seasons. I would bet a VIP membership (I would sponsor someone) that the team who forks over 14 plus million per, is not a franchise you think of as a perennial playoff team. Teams that sign players like this (look at the Dolphins and Suh) are not teams known for making good decisions.

There are two kinds of "bad decisions": 1) We're just a piece or two away and we better get them NOW; 2) let's make a splash and keep putting cheeks in seats.

The first, unless the team is really just a piece or two away, is bad, bad, bad.
The second is bad football but possibly good marketing.

I really believe that we talked ourselves into the first case with Suh coupled with a healthy dose of we play Brady twice a year and his Kryptonite is in-his-face pressure.

The good teams draft well and get everything they can out of them during their rookie contracts. They keep backfilling the roster with quality talent so they aren’t left with Landry decisions every other year in free agencey. The Dolphins don’t draft well and don’t develop talent very well, especially on offense. They also don’t have an elite QB situation that would mitigate the need to hand out extensions to mediocre players. This is why fans fall in love with good, not great players like Landry, Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller, etc...The expectations are pretty low around here.

To the people unhappy with the idea of Landry leaving, I would love to have a team full of players with his effort and production. I would pay Landry top 5 slot money but not 5 wr money. Big difference.

With multiple teams cap rich, someone will pay up for Landry.

Another home grown talent about to flourish elsewhere. This should make you steaming mad not shrug and say so what don't over pay him. He's worth every penny, again homegrown talent is how you stay together and build a nucleus to win together. Count how many Dolphins are flourishing on other teams because they either left via free agency or trade etc..........

Please do. I don't think you can name one that is "flourishing" that didn't leave or get traded due to financial constraints. We can't sign every position with the top prospect in the league at that position. There's a salary cap. Keep Lamar Miller , Olivier Vernon and Rishard Matthews at the contract levels they got....and then show me the math of how we pay all of them AND give Landry 14 mil. Without a single doubt your solution includes removing vital pieces of the team just to give Landry what he wants....which is WAY over priced.

Please do. I don't think you can name one that is "flourishing" that didn't leave or get traded due to financial constraints. We can't sign every position with the top prospect in the league at that position. There's a salary cap. Keep Lamar Miller , Olivier Vernon and Rishard Matthews at the contract levels they got....and then show me the math of how we pay all of them AND give Landry 14 mil. Without a single doubt your solution includes removing vital pieces of the team just to give Landry what he wants....which is WAY over priced.

Yes but if we kept OV / RM, we likely wouldn't have brought in/paid Stills and Branch, and hayes even this offseason probably. Which offsets things a little bit. I was mad about Miller leaving at first, but he hasn't done that much in houston, and is one of the highest paid backs in the league, top 5 i think. Ajayi was looking like a just fine replacement, as Drake is now.

With that said, I would much rather have OV on this team than branch/harris, but he is still making way more than he is worth

Yes but if we kept OV / RM, we likely wouldn't have brought in/paid Stills and Branch, and hayes even this offseason probably. Which offsets things a little bit. I was mad about Miller leaving at first, but he hasn't done that much in houston, and is one of the highest paid backs in the league, top 5 i think. Ajayi was looking like a just fine replacement, as Drake is now.

With that said, I would much rather have OV on this team than branch/harris, but he is still making way more than he is worth

I definitely would rather have him, and I definitely agree it's way too much.

Tannenbaum is saying all the wrong things. This guy has to be one of the worst negotiators in the NFL.

Landry isnt worth $15M a year and he knows it. Its probably his starting point in negotiations, knowing he will settle for something less.

I'm not too sure how many teams are out there that
are one slot receiver away from the super bowl and willing
to spend $13-$15 million a year for that privilege

With the salary cap jump, there will be some teams that can afford him. The guys on The Perfectsville podcast made some good points about how well known of a commodity Landry is.

My gut tells me that he’ll outperform any contract he signs. I hope it is for the Phins, but not at the cost of restructuring bad contracts into worse contracts to make it happen.

It's the business of the NFL. Players will go to where they can get more money and the front office will use the money the way they want to. The FO made a mistake with bad deals to Kiko and Branch to name a couple and now they don't want to over pay again and that's that. Landry will make a lot of money but I doubt he'll get what he wants. This is free agency in the NFL 101

Ozzy rules!!

Sucks so bad he could leave. This time last year all I could talk about was how dolphins are finally building a young nucleus. Landry Parker, stills,ajayi and tannehill. Dam that changed fast. Very discouraged as a life long fan

Back
Top Bottom