The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread

Rocky Raccoon said:
Forget the Yankees...you Sox fans better watch out for the Blue Jays.

VERY good point. I think we all agree that the Blue Jays aren't going to be push overs this year. The AL East could be one of the toughest divisions in baseball this year.

Rocky Raccoon said:
Forget the Yankees...you Sox fans better watch out for the Blue Jays.

I will believe it when I see it, last year it was the O's that was gonna overtake both the Sox and Yanks.. I love the squad on paper, but if Halladay gets hurt and the bats go silent they will be the same old Jays. With that said if they don't win 10-15 games more than last year atleast, something has gone wrong in Toronto again...

GreenMonster said:
I will believe it when I see it, last year it was the O's that was gonna overtake both the Sox and Yanks.. I love the squad on paper, but if Halladay gets hurt and the bats go silent they will be the same old Jays. With that said if they don't win 10-15 games more than last year atleast, something has gone wrong in Toronto again...

ricciardi took over the inenviable task of trying to rebuild the jays a few years back with no payroll and not a lot to work with - this year he finally has a working budget and probably overpaid for his 2 new pitchers and glaus but he is deifintely putting a great nucleus together - not sure how much damage t.o. will do this year but definitely an up and coming team with a bright future...

d-day said:
ricciardi took over the inenviable task of trying to rebuild the jays a few years back with no payroll and not a lot to work with - this year he finally has a working budget and probably overpaid for his 2 new pitchers and glaus but he is deifintely putting a great nucleus together - not sure how much damage t.o. will do this year but definitely an up and coming team with a bright future...

He has really used the extra cash this year to make a splash no doubt. For the Jays a mistake on either player will set the franchise back much further than say the Sox or Yanks. Ricciardi's future now lies in the hands or AJ Burnett, B.J. Ryan, and Troy Glaus and that scares me...

GreenMonster said:
Ricciardi's future now lies in the hands or AJ Burnett, B.J. Ryan, and Troy Glaus and that scares me...

To hell with those guys, I'm scared of Ted Lilly. I can't take another year of being completely owned by that guy.

But seriously, the Blue Jays beat us 11 times last year, and they didn't have half the talent that they possess on this years team. The Blue Jays don't have to worry about the divisional rivals, seeing as how they usually match up pretty well inside the AL East. If the Jays beat the teams they should beat outside of the division, then the AL East is going to be a three horse race.

FaninPatsyLand said:
To hell with those guys, I'm scared of Ted Lilly. I can't take another year of being completely owned by that guy.

But seriously, the Blue Jays beat us 11 times last year, and they didn't have half the talent that they possess on this years team. The Blue Jays don't have to worry about the divisional rivals, seeing as how they usually match up pretty well inside the AL East. If the Jays beat the teams they should beat outside of the division, then the AL East is going to be a three horse race.

hopefully those 3 teams are the Sox, Jays, and O's...down with the Yankees! :D

GreenMonster said:
He has really used the extra cash this year to make a splash no doubt. For the Jays a mistake on either player will set the franchise back much further than say the Sox or Yanks. Ricciardi's future now lies in the hands or AJ Burnett, B.J. Ryan, and Troy Glaus and that scares me...

i like the big 3 additions of burnett especially reunited with his old pitching coach, ryan over batista at closer and the power glaus brings at third - but also we have hillenbrand and hinske who can play the corners and d.h. - overbay at first - hill brings more pop to the bat at 2nd - adams will be in his second season s.s. - vernon wells is a stud in center field - lilly and chacin in the rotation... my only problem with the line-up is reed in left although they are looking at giving hinske some time there against right handed hitters - bottom line: there is more to t.o.'s future then the 3 you mentioned... :wink:

Here's a great article on Coco Crisp and his work ethic and attitude:

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/15/etstory....risp.124+page_1

I suggest any Sox fan read it. I think he'd fit right in with the Sox clubhouse and will become a fan favorite in no time.

Also I'm not sure if many people are aware of it but Crisp is a switch hitter. Which makes him batting #1 even better because the Sox could put Nixon in the 2 hole if they wish over Loretta.

I just don't like how the deal hasn't been anounced yet, I wonder what's taking it so long. Apparently the hold up is with Mota taking his physical and now some reports I'm reading say Shoppach may or may not be involved.

Apparently Mota failed his physical with the Indians so the deal has to be reworked for Crisp. Mota failing raises a big question as to how he passed the Boston physical.....

PressCoverage said:
Ray? no Epstein commentary?.... was this old news?? ;)

Seems to me that after reading the link you provided not a whole lot has changed. Of course, Hoyer is somewhat demoted in the fact that he loses part of his responsibilites, but his title of Assistant GM points to the fact that he's going to be Epstein/Lucchino's right hand man.

Cherington was originally supposed to be involved with the Minor Leagues and player development and it seems he will continue to do so even with Theo on board.

PressCoverage said:
Ray? no Epstein commentary?.... was this old news?? ;)

Sorry to let you down PressCoverage :lol:

Anyway my thoughts on Theo is that like every writer in America, he never left the team therefore this isn't big/shocking news. I think Theo is a very smart guy and is very smart when it comes to judging baseball talent. I never understood why he "left" the team on October 31st, but I am glad he's still with the team. Is he as good as the Boston media makes him out to be? No. But he's not as bad as his critics make him out to be. I still think he's a top GM in baseball (or top figure head depending on who really is pulling the strings in Boston).

Sure he made some bad moves: signing Renteria & Clement.

However he made a lot of good moves: OC/Dougie/Dave Roberts trades, signing David Ortiz, trading for Scott Williamson, etc.

Theo also had, what a lot of writers say, the best draft in 2005. The guy does have an eye for talent.

No matter what you say about him you can't take away the fact that he helped win a championship in less than 3 years in the job. I think the team and organization is better off with him than without him.

Back
Top Bottom