The 44th pick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 44th pick

yep...barring oline or rb i agree

you get dez you don't need another wr

Or if you sign Antonio Bryant you don't need to draft a WR at all.

And concentrate on other areas of need.

Would I be crucified if I suggested that Miami look to give the #44 pick to a team in exchange for a first round pick in 2011?

Because that's probably the best option.

I understand the thgouth process, i also think that the current regime sees this next year as a critical production year....you know- the time to win is now or else someone is going to the chopping block fast kind of situation. Year three of rebuilding, time to see some progress in the win column.

Antonio Bryant gives us a good player who can start but does not answer our questions at Receiver. I think if we could start opening day with our receivers being Dez Bryant, Antonio Bryant, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, and Patrick Turner we would be sitting pretty. This would move that we moved Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo for some draft picks

I appreciate the sentiments guys. I've come to respect a lot of peoples' opinions and a lot of peoples' eyes. I've had hundreds of people over the years come out acting like an *** hat, thinking they're suddenly going to prove in one sitting that I have no clue what I'm talking about. It's nothing new.

Above all just keep in mind that what I respect most of all is work, the work people put in to know what they're talking about. I'm a believer that if you're going to do something you might as well be good at it and with this stuff there's one pretty good way to be good at it and that's to work on it and care about it.

And as the the 2010 vs 2011 thing, Slimm put it very well and to the point. The 2011 draft looks like a rare gem to me right now and yes I'd give up 2010 picks to get a bigger piece of that pie. And absolutely the draft is a war game and you're much more maneuverable with more ammunition.

One thing I'm trying to communicate though is that winning in 2011 is going to seem just as important to us all in 2011 as winning in 2010 feels to us now...and so I question why a 2010 draft pick should by default be more coveted than a 2011 draft pick.

Honestly, looking at the 2011 draft, the possible talent is amazing. As well as the seniors. I want to draft Dez Bryant this year, but I won't be upset if we went a different direction. Looking at next year, Jonathan Baldwin is looking amazing!

A 2nd rounder this year for a 1st rounder next year wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Antonio Bryant gives us a good player who can start but does not answer our questions at Receiver. I think if we could start opening day with our receivers being Dez Bryant, Antonio Bryant, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, and Patrick Turner we would be sitting pretty. This would move that we moved Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo for some draft picks

Let's be realistic here. I do not see Parcells and Ireland spending a first rounder on a WR if they spend good money on Antonio Bryant.

No way no how.

Not with this crappy defense. And knowing how they value having a very good D.

Let me follow that up by saying if they sign a couple LB's in free agency (and not Antonio Bryant), then, and only then do I see them possibly picking Dez Bryant (if he falls to 12)

A lot of this will factor in when we see what they do when the FA period starts - and what moves they make with trades etc.

I do get your point, CK. A 2011 first round pick is worth as much as a 2010 first round pick, except that the talent field looks ridiculously deep next year.
I guess the next question would be this: How do you determine what positions to cover this year vs next year? And do you see players falling to the 3rd-4th round this year that could contribute quickly at a position of need?

Your first question, honestly that seems like a question for Bill Parcells. You're talking about championship building, right there. I've never worked in the industry I've just sort of buzzed around it like a gnat. Doing that, you do learn some things, but you don't necessarily know them. From what I've seen over the years I think that Parcells has a plan of what positions to fix and when, my sense is that he seems to always work on the offensive and defensive lines first, simultaneously with quarterback. If last year is any indication, what they want to do after that is add skill guys on the perimeters. All I know is that you should probably go with what's available, and that there's no sense figuring you need a WR when there are none, or whatever...you just plan according to availability. That's one lesson you learn if you're a New England fan. The playbooks, both offensive and defensive, get thrown out basically every year. If they have RBs and TEs available to them then they'll run an attack that features them. If suddenly a glut of WRs become available they'll scrap the RB/TE thing and go 4-Wide. If the defensive talent availability works out a certain way, they're 4-3 right now more than they are 3-4. They plan ahead, according to availability...and I like that.

As for guys falling into the 3rd and 4th area that could contribute quickly at a position of need...my experience has generally been that when I'm convicted about guys like that in January, by the time April rolls around, they're not 3rd or 4th round guys anymore, they're 1st or 2nd round guys...so it's hard to say.

Or if you sign Antonio Bryant you don't need to draft a WR at all.

And concentrate on other areas of need.

true...but i don't necessarily consider antonio bryant a legit like top 10 wr in the league

better than what we have...absolutely

and i wouldn't give bryant $20 plus mil guaranteed off of 1 really good season...last year

Let me follow that up by saying if they sign a couple LB's in free agency (and not Antonio Bryant), then, and only then do I see them possibly picking Dez Bryant (if he falls to 12)

A lot of this will factor in when we see what they do when the FA period starts - and what moves they make with trades etc.

absolutely

i'm just sticking to my theory over looking at most of these highly rated players on tape and watching them in games that for our current needs dez bryant is the bpa imo

Just keep in mind that the benefit of a 2010 draft is generally felt more in 2011 and 2012 than in 2010. So when I mention that I'd trade 2010 picks for 2011 picks it means I'm sacrificing potential 2011-2012 benefits for 2012-2013 benefits.

I do believe we need to win now. That's one reason I believe we should focus on free agency for some of our biggest need positions like LB and WR.

I think if you do that, AND you use 2010 draft picks to acquire 2011 draft picks, you're sort of running a balance between trying to win now and being smart for the future.

true...but i don't necessarily consider antonio bryant a legit like top 10 wr in the league

better than what we have...absolutely

and i wouldn't give bryant $20 plus mil guaranteed off of 1 really good season...last year

I wouldn't call him top 10, absolutely not. But that's being picky.

I'd certainly give him Justin Smiley/Gibril Wilson money though.

moreso...i'm looking at it now and off of game tape and the games i've watched if we're sitting at #12 and bryant is gone when we pick and most the guys we all like who we have rated higher are gone ie berry mcclain etc i'm leaning trade down...

i don't think jerry hughes for me right now warrants the #12 pick i don't think for me right now derrick morgan if he was there warrants the #12 pick at solb i don't think dan williams warrants is the more i look at players...

trade down and get a very good player in the 16-20 range and pick up picks...

of course trading down is much easier said than done...

I wouldn't call him top 10, absolutely not. But that's being picky.

I'd certainly give him Justin Smiley/Gibril Wilson money though.

heck yeah so would i...but i doubt he's take it

but heck yeah i would do that

Your first question, honestly that seems like a question for Bill Parcells. You're talking about championship building, right there. I've never worked in the industry I've just sort of buzzed around it like a gnat. Doing that, you do learn some things, but you don't necessarily know them. From what I've seen over the years I think that Parcells has a plan of what positions to fix and when, my sense is that he seems to always work on the offensive and defensive lines first, simultaneously with quarterback. If last year is any indication, what they want to do after that is add skill guys on the perimeters. All I know is that you should probably go with what's available, and that there's no sense figuring you need a WR when there are none, or whatever...you just plan according to availability. That's one lesson you learn if you're a New England fan. The playbooks, both offensive and defensive, get thrown out basically every year. If they have RBs and TEs available to them then they'll run an attack that features them. If suddenly a glut of WRs become available they'll scrap the RB/TE thing and go 4-Wide. If the defensive talent availability works out a certain way, they're 4-3 right now more than they are 3-4. They plan ahead, according to availability...and I like that.

As for guys falling into the 3rd and 4th area that could contribute quickly at a position of need...my experience has generally been that when I'm convicted about guys like that in January, by the time April rolls around, they're not 3rd or 4th round guys anymore, they're 1st or 2nd round guys...so it's hard to say.

And this is why they feel like they don't have to overpay for their own free agents, or free agents period and can still win 9-16 games every year and be a playoff threat....

The stockpiling of 2nd round picks also goes back to your point of the flow of contracts......2nd round pick contracts are a lot easier to negotiate....they're cheaper...less binding 4 year deals, etc....as opposed to 5 year deals with all this guaranteed money....

They trade guys off that they don't want to overpay or need (Cassell, Seymour, Branch, etc.) for 1st round picks and/or multiple picks...

They never had that invested in the players in the first place most of the time...:lol:

And these stupid GM's around the league just keep helping the Patriots stay there by giving them even MORE picks....it's amazing to me...

Back
Top Bottom