The 44th pick | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 44th pick

I've read through all this twice and I'm still not sure what the hell I read....

Bottom line is the Patriots are the best in the league at stockpiling future draft picks.....especially 2nd rounders....that's where the VALUE is...even over 1st rounders in the latter part of the round....

I'll just about trade you my 25th overall pick for your 45th overall pick (and pick up extra picks in the process) every time....the Patriots are the best at doing this....they know how to do business...

The talent in 2011 is extremely rare....especially at positions that are perceived positions of need for Miami....(and positions that will be soon)..

If you expect Miami to do well in 2010....then their 2nd round pick is going to be late in the 2nd round anyway...

I'd rather have two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick in 2011..... than a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2010....

Hell, if you want you can even trade down with one of those extra 1st rounders and have a 1st rounder...two 2nd rounders....and two 3rd rounders, etc...

The draft is a game played by 32 teams in 32 different war rooms 32 different ways......you need all the ammunition you can get to manipulate it in your teams favor...

Picks = Ammunition

I agree that it may be a good strategy. But the Patriots didn't start doing that until after they had already assembled alot of talent. I think right now, we have to start assembling talent for 2010. Every draft has talent if you pick the right players.

And, if we don't see value at our pick at 43, then it may make perfect sense to trade for 2011. But to say now that its the best strategy for April, thats speculative at best.

IMO, there needs to be a sense of urgency on this team. Not worried about 2014. 2010 is hopefully what the FO is focused on.

The only trade like that, that I may have actually approved, was when Carolina traded away a future 1st in order to get a crack at Jeff Otah. I just thought Otah was THAT good. Still do.

This is my point. You don't know who will be avail so you don't know what the best strategy will be. Slimm made a good point...second round is where the talent is that is cheap to sign. So, if you have a first round grade on a player and its early second round, and its a position of need it might be a good thing to trade next years pick for a player that you can get now.

Now, if this FO drafts like I think they will and coaches like I think they will, it won't matter, because we'll be bad in 2010 anyway.

This regime plays not lose and I fear that they also draft not to lose. Ireland comes on after each draft day spouting about how the draft is a complicated process, and they did the best they could with what they had. In reality they were too scared to move around the draft for fear that they'd lose a 'Patrick Turner' or a token reach.

This regime plays not lose and I fear that they also draft not to lose. Ireland comes on after each draft day spouting about how the draft is a complicated process, and they did the best they could with what they had. In reality they were too scared to move around the draft for fear that they'd lose a 'Patrick Turner' or a token reach.

Exactly. They didn't start with the wildcat until we were 0-2 and facing NE on the road. They didn't start playing Henne (allegedly the QB of the future) until Chad went down. There isn't a hint of boldness in this staff or FO, in anything they do. Except for picking Pat White.

This regime has has more contribution from their draftees than any other that i can recall, so i trust them to hit on a minimum of half their draftees and they have so far.
Arrelious Benn for our 43rd pick in the 2010 draft.
If he is gone i think they will draft the best WR out there at that point in the draft.
#12 Rolando McClain (or someone defensive if he is gone)
#43 Arrelious Benn (or best WR available)
#74 Dan Williams (hopefully Norwood drops to us here)

This is my wish list, as unrealisticas it may seem. :)

Back
Top Bottom