The **Official** Boxing Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The **Official** Boxing Thread

fins2923 said:
How exactly can you give a guy too much credit for humiliating and dominating Kostya Tszyu thus forcing him to quit? He's only been one of the 5 best fighters of the last 10 years. And who's overhyped him in the states? HBO signed him to a big contract, just like they did when guys like Shane Mosley, Tito Trinidad, etc.. became true champions at their respective weight classes in and around the 140 range. HBO also has had contracts with Cotto, PBF, Gatti, the other moneymakers at that weight. Collazo is a smart, techinical SOUTHPAW who is natural at the weight, raised at Gleasons who can in with a better plan that Ricky. Still a razor close fight that Ricky won. People seem to forget that at Floyds natural and best weight class he was in 2 close, controversial fights with a slower-footed pressure fighter. I heavily favor FLoyd if and when he gets into the ring with Hatton but that has nothing to do with the Collazo performace, bc the fights will be in no way similiar.

I hate to tell you but you CAN GIVE to much credit for winning one fight, remember Buster Douglas? HBO gave him a contract after he beat Tyson, did that mean he was worthy? Hasim Rahman was offered an HBO contract after he beat Lewis the first time (which he turned down), did that mean he was worthy? If you know anything about boxing you would know that one big wins always gets everyone on a boxers bandwagon and Hatton is no exception. You can say anything you want about Floyd, he has had a few tough matches but # 1, Floyd HAS NEVER BEEN BEAT UP LIKE HATTON WAS LAST NIGHT, and # 2, one of those fights were against Jose Luis Castillo, one of the best fighters in his division (and the world today), not Collazo who is ranked 24th on boxrec.com welterweight list (and he moved up because of last nights performance). By the way, if you read my post, you would see that I never said Hatton wasn't worthy of his HBO contract, what I said was I EXPECTED MORE FROM HIM because of the the hype. And I stand by what I said about Hatton. He will never be a dominating welterweight and can't beat guys like Margorito because he's simply to small. He's a perfect jr. welterweight but anything above that he's going to have trouble dealing with size. I'm not taking anything away from Collazo, he's a solid opponent but the way he took it to Hatton and hurt him badly (which he did) that raises concern. Last night Hatton got away with one because of who he is. He got the close rounds last night because he's Ricky Hatton. He didn't win that fight last night, he got by. And for you to say Kosta is one of the best 5 fighters the last 10 years is a joke. Oscar, Floyd, Bernard, Roy Jones, Lennon Lewis, Winky Wright, Tito Trinidad, MAB, Eric Morales, and a ton of others would have something to say about it. I mean go look at who Kosta's fought, his only big victories aside from the Judah fight are against guys who were way past their prime. Do yourself a favor man and watch some more boxing. I'd venture to say you've probably only seen Hatton two or three times before last night (if that) meanwhile, I watched 8 just this week that I got on DVD so I could see more of him. My point, how can Hatton call out any of the big names after last nights performance? I think it's back to the drawing table for him!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I hate to tell you but you CAN GIVE to much credit for winning one fight, remember Buster Douglas? HBO gave him a contract after he beat Tyson, did that mean he was worthy? Hasim Rahman was offered an HBO contract after he beat Lewis the first time (which he turned down), did that mean he was worthy? If you know anything about boxing you would know that one big wins always gets everyone on a boxers bandwagon and Hatton is no exception. You can say anything you want about Floyd, he has had a few tough matches but # 1, Floyd HAS NEVER BEEN BEAT UP LIKE HATTON WAS LAST NIGHT, and # 2, one of those fights were against Jose Luis Castillo, one of the best fighters in his division (and the world today), not Collazo who is ranked 24th on boxrec.com welterweight list (and he moved up because of last nights performance). By the way, if you read my post, you would see that I never said Hatton wasn't worthy of his HBO contract, what I said was I EXPECTED MORE FROM HIM because of the the hype. And I stand by what I said about Hatton. He will never be a dominating welterweight and can't beat guys like Margorito because he's simply to small. He's a perfect jr. welterweight but anything above that he's going to have trouble dealing with size. I'm not taking anything away from Collazo, he's a solid opponent but the way he took it to Hatton and hurt him badly (which he did) that raises concern. Last night Hatton got away with one because of who he is. He got the close rounds last night because he's Ricky Hatton. He didn't win that fight last night, he got by. And for you to say Kosta is one of the best 5 fighters the last 10 years is a joke. Oscar, Floyd, Bernard, Roy Jones, Lennon Lewis, Winky Wright, Tito Trinidad, MAB, Eric Morales, and a ton of others would have something to say about it. I mean go look at who Kosta's fought, his only big victories aside from the Judah fight are against guys who were way past their prime. Do yourself a favor man and watch some more boxing. I'd venture to say you've probably only seen Hatton two or three times before last night (if that) meanwhile, I watched 8 just this week that I got on DVD so I could see more of him. My point, how can Hatton call out any of the big names after last nights performance? I think it's back to the drawing table for him!

Id venture to say you know nothing about me or really much of Boxing if you quote the boxrec rankings, which are a joke. UNless you consider Wlad and O'Neil Bell the top 2 P4P fighters in the world. The website as a whole is excellent but its rankings are worthless. And what did Roy Jones do between 98-05 that ranks his accomplishments ahead of King Kostya, or Lewis for that matter. Who did those guys beat during that run that were so much better than Tszyu's opposition. And if you're going to kill Tszyu for beating guys past their prime (which Sharmba, Gonzalez, and Zab certainly were not), wheres the criticisim for Floyd's recent string? Maybe top 5 was hyperbole but its not far off. And Ive seen him (Hatton) in person 3 times now and have seen Id guess 15-18 of his pro fights not just some 8 fights this week. (And for the record, have never been overwhelmed by Ricky)

And you make my point about HBO. It's what the business is about, they pay the hot names. Some work and some don't, that doesn't make them overhyped because each guy you named did something to earn the contract. They beat an elite-level fighter to become champion and in each case you mentioned it was in spectacular fashion. And also if you understood what I was talking about I was referring to both Castillo fights, both of which I thought Floyd won. And of course he didnt get banged up like Ricky, considering Rickys face was mauled in convicning wins over the likes of Tszyu, Maussa, shoot even Ben Tackie, but I was referring to the margin on the scorecard.

fins2923 said:
Id venture to say you know nothing about me or really much of Boxing if you quote the boxrec rankings, which are a joke. UNless you consider Wlad and O'Neil Bell the top 2 P4P fighters in the world. The website as a whole is excellent but its rankings are worthless. And what did Roy Jones do between 98-05 that ranks his accomplishments ahead of King Kostya, or Lewis for that matter. Who did those guys beat during that run that were so much better than Tszyu's opposition. And if you're going to kill Tszyu for beating guys past their prime (which Sharmba, Gonzalez, and Zab certainly were not), wheres the criticisim for Floyd's recent string? Maybe top 5 was hyperbole but its not far off. And Ive seen him (Hatton) in person 3 times now and have seen Id guess 15-18 of his pro fights not just some 8 fights this week. (And for the record, have never been overwhelmed by Ricky)

And you make my point about HBO. It's what the business is about, they pay the hot names. Some work and some don't, that doesn't make them overhyped because each guy you named did something to earn the contract. They beat an elite-level fighter to become champion and in each case you mentioned it was in spectacular fashion. And also if you understood what I was talking about I was referring to both Castillo fights, both of which I thought Floyd won. And of course he didnt get banged up like Ricky, considering Rickys face was mauled in convicning wins over the likes of Tszyu, Maussa, shoot even Ben Tackie, but I was referring to the margin on the scorecard.

Dude, you make fair points. By the way, I've seen more then 8 Hatton fights, just got 8 more I didn't see this week. Anyways I know Boxing is a business and money talks and you know what walks so I understand why HBO gave him a contract. Like I said, I never said he didn't deserve an HBO contract what I was saying is that with the hype surrounding him and the way he was thrust to the top as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world because of his victory of Tszyu, it made me expect more last night on his biggest stage to date and he didn't produce. And this was his biggest stage because his fight against Tszyu didn't get half the press this fight did even though it was a bigger fight (that's the curse of being a showtime fighter, even their biggest and best bouts go under the radar) and the press he did see was his hometown press so he was more comfortable. I understand this was his first time headlining a fight in the U.S. but I don't buy that excuse because he's fought here in the past. Basically what I am trying to say is that I don't think Hatton is an ELITE fighter. To me he is to small for welterweight and is going to have a 20 times more trouble against the ELITE of the division. He's a good fighter but IMO he is one notch below ELITE (but this is boxing, that could change with one knockout of Floyd or someone of that calibar) at welterweight. At jr. welterweight that may be a different story but at welterweight I think he's just to small. Collazo is a good fighter but if you took the best jr. welterweight and welterweight fighters in the world today I don't think he's in the top 10, I don't care what alphabet title he held. I think Floyd and a number of other fighters could have exposed Collazo (which there were many things to expose and Hatton actually did early in the fight) but Hatton was unable too. Even Hatton said after the fight he was hurt numerous times by Collazo's power. This takes nothing away from Hatton, he got the win and he will whether I like it or not have an opportunity to prove me wrong against a top fighter. Hatton was a dissapointment last night on all levels for HBO. He didn't put on a performance that would warrant someone paying 50 bucks to see him fight, he only drew 7,915 fans to the fight, and he didn't put on a performance that would warrant him being Oscar's last fight (the biggest pay day left in boxing). In a nutshell, I'm calling Hatton a good fighter not elite but like I said, he won therefore, he'll get his chance to not only prove me wrong, but prove the whole boxing world wrong!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Dude, you make fair points. By the way, I've seen more then 8 Hatton fights, just got 8 more I didn't see this week. Anyways I know Boxing is a business and money talks and you know what walks so I understand why HBO gave him a contract. Like I said, I never said he didn't deserve an HBO contract what I was saying is that with the hype surrounding him and the way he was thrust to the top as one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world because of his victory of Tszyu, it made me expect more last night on his biggest stage to date and he didn't produce. And this was his biggest stage because his fight against Tszyu didn't get half the press this fight did even though it was a bigger fight (that's the curse of being a showtime fighter, even their biggest and best bouts go under the radar) and the press he did see was his hometown press so he was more comfortable. I understand this was his first time headlining a fight in the U.S. but I don't buy that excuse because he's fought here in the past. Basically what I am trying to say is that I don't think Hatton is an ELITE fighter. To me he is to small for welterweight and is going to have a 20 times more trouble against the ELITE of the division. He's a good fighter but IMO he is one notch below ELITE (but this is boxing, that could change with one knockout of Floyd or someone of that calibar) at welterweight. At jr. welterweight that may be a different story but at welterweight I think he's just to small. Collazo is a good fighter but if you took the best jr. welterweight and welterweight fighters in the world today I don't think he's in the top 10, I don't care what alphabet title he held. I think Floyd and a number of other fighters could have exposed Collazo (which there were many things to expose and Hatton actually did early in the fight) but Hatton was unable too. Even Hatton said after the fight he was hurt numerous times by Collazo's power. This takes nothing away from Hatton, he got the win and he will whether I like it or not have an opportunity to prove me wrong against a top fighter. Hatton was a dissapointment last night on all levels for HBO. He didn't put on a performance that would warrant someone paying 50 bucks to see him fight, he only drew 7,915 fans to the fight, and he didn't put on a performance that would warrant him being Oscar's last fight (the biggest pay day left in boxing). In a nutshell, I'm calling Hatton a good fighter not elite but like I said, he won therefore, he'll get his chance to not only prove me wrong, but prove the whole boxing world wrong!

I agree and really don't think he'll be a transcendent star but is still a worthy challenger and threat to anyone under 147. And by the way, we can get passionate about the sport but should probabaly avoid any type of adversarial realtionship considering there are roughly 10 people on this site that care about this game and reading your previous posts I know you know the game and were using the rankings just to make a point.

Completely unrelated, I also question the point of having the fight in Boston. There's been no groundswell for the sport in that community and roughly 5,000 of the 8 k came from over the pond. A NYC, AC, or Vegas Hatton Main event would draw a large crowd, if matched against anyone with a name. I was at the Bruseles-Floyd fight last yr and if there were 3,000 people in the house I would be surprised. 5 months later the Boardwalk was a buzz from Wednesday on leading into the Gatti fight and standing room only crowd on hand (mostly the Gatti AC contingent and the best non Vegas excitement I've ever attended, never saw Tito on the east coast, though) and then a decent but not sold out crowd at the Mack last month. Hatton's boxing future and stardom will not be determined until we see him over here in a Tszyu type fight, in terms of anticipation to see both fighters.

hbo is so bias toward their fighters. 8-4 barrera? please. rocky deserved at least a draw, if not the win. good fight.

LightsOut said:
hbo is so bias toward their fighters. 8-4 barrera? please. rocky deserved at least a draw, if not the win. good fight.

That was a good fight.

A draw sounded about right. I didn't score it but by the naked eye I saw it somewhere around a draw, maybe a round or two going either way!

I wussed out and scored 11 even and had Juarez 6-5-1 even. 116-112 MAB was way too wide, IMO, on the Lederman card. And Manny was basically cheering MAB home. Brutal fight, rd 11 the best round of '06 thus far. Like to see it again but neither HBO (basically the pimp for all things Golden Boy Promotions) nor MAB seemed to want it. Once the City and TJ legends are gone, how explosive is a Juarez-PAC fight going to be? Don't blink.

A mistake in the addition of the scorecards resulted in Saturday's Marco Antonio Barrera-Rocky Juarez being announced to the Staples Center crowd and HBO television viewership as a draw. However, the scorecards were later retabulated and it was discovered that the actual scores were 115-114, 115-113 Barrera, 115-114 Juarez, so Barrera actually wins a majority decision.

fightnews.com

http://www.fightnews.com/barrera_juarez_scorecard.gif

How fishy is this? Un-freaking-believable.

I bet Oscar will go to a podium and start crying about this unjust ruling and claim tha he will clean up the sport with the infallible Golden Boy Promotions like he did in Sept '03 against Mosley. Then again, I doubt it.

I'm truly disgusted.

Castillo fails to make weight; The fight is off!
By Mike Sloan at the scales

5:25PM: Corrales promoter Gary Shaw announces that the fight is off. "He (Diego Corrales) is not going to put his life at risk," said Shaw. "You saw what happened last time. We are not money hungry!" Castillo's promoter Bob Arum says he is "mortified and completely embarrassed." The SHOWTIME telecast will go on with IBF flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan vs Luis Maldonado as the main event.

5:00PM: Jose Luis Castillo has failed to make weight again. For the second time today, Castillo weighed in at 140, then 139.5 after trying to sweat off the pounds for two hours. The ball is now in Diego Corrales' court whether he wants to fight or not. The bout would be a non-title affair like their second fight, in which Castillo also failed to make weight.3:15PM: Castillo has two hours to lose two pounds. Period. The Nevada commission will not allow him to lose more, saying it is medically unsafe. If he can't lose two pounds, apparently there is no fight.Promoter Bob Arum is furious at Castillo. "This is a complete disgrace," said Arum. "As far as I'm concerned, I do not represent him. If I was Corrales, I wouldn't fight him. This is a disgrace to the sport of boxing."

After weighing in, Castillo stood briefly on the stage looking disgusted, before storming away to try to lose the weight. Corrales said he'll wait to see what happens before deciding whether to fight or not.

3:00PM: Jose Luis Castillo has just weighed in at 140 or FIVE POUNDS above the lightweight limit. Corrales weighed in right at the 135 limit. After Corrales made weight, Castillo got on the scale again and weighed 139.5. Castillo now has two hours to lose two pounds. Promoter Bob Arum has stated previously that Castillo was facing big penalties if he could not make weight. He could forfeit up to 25% of his $900,000 purse to Corrales, who is slated to make $1.2 million.

Meanwhile, IBF flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan and Luis Maldonado have both weighed in at the 112 lb limit.

Inexcusible.

Either he's lazy and unprofessional, or his body just cannot get that low.

My quick take is that it's the latter. He needs to just move up and get it over with.

hopkins is dominating tarver through 5. just knocked him down.

Back
Top Bottom