The Official Harvey Unga Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Harvey Unga Thread

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. It's going to suck to have 33 years of season-based statistical records basically thrown out the window. Also I can't help but think one way or the other, the players are going to get screwed. It will also lead to more of a disconnect between which teams were the best for the longest during the season, and which teams win the Super Bowl. Already it seems that the teams that win during the regular season can be overcome by lesser teams that just stay healthier longer, and that will only increase.

On the other hand, more football is generally a good thing because we love the sport so much, and there's no doubt that four preseason games is unnecessary.

Former BYU running back Harvey Unga is confident some NFL team will select him in Thursday's supplemental draft, and he says the team that takes him will get a back who can do everything.

"I can be the third down back--and that can be third and short or third and long, they think it'd be great to have a big guy like me even on a third-and-long play where if they need to throw me the ball they know I'll catch it and make the best of it," Unga said, per Brian Stull of 101ESPN.com. "There's a lot of different things I believe teams will be able to use me for."

The 244-pound Unga is big enough to play fullback but says that's not how NFL coaches envision using him.

"Most of them have been telling me I'm going to be playing running back," Unga said.

Unga ran for more than 1,000 yards in each of his three college seasons and is BYU's all-time leading rusher. He also caught 92 passes for 1,085 yards and nine touchdowns.

www.profootballtalk.com

Freshman injuries are irrelevant to durability IMO. There's too much going on there between teams being eager to redshirt a young guy, and the guys themselves being too young and dumb to display ultimately what will be their durability patterns at both the next level and the level beyond. I don't know how extensive his hip injury was. I don't know if anyone does outside of Unga and the coaches.

As for nagging ankle and broken hand injuries? Come on. We're going to talk about nagging nicks on a guy that played in 38 of 39 games and touched the ball an average of 20.9 times the entire time he was fighting these nagging injuries? That's a big reach to me. It'd be one thing if these nagging injuries drew him down on his touches during the games he did play, but they didn't. He carried a load for three years and rushed for 1000+ yards each year, became BYU's all time leading rusher.

I don't care what anyone says, durability seems like an A+ on this guy.

I think he can be a good running back, so I wouldn't mind if we got him. If we didn't it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

AaronAloysius @ckparrot Unga was limited by a mid-season ankle injury vs MT. There were conflicting reports, but some said the ankle affected his pro day

AaronAloysius @ckparrot Not saying that Unga has major durability q's, but I wouldn't categorize him as an A+ guy either. Will agree to disagree on this 1

www.twitter.com/AaronAloysus

ckparrot @AaronAloysius Well that has to be the 1st time I've ever seen a 38/39 game guy that touched the ball 21 times a game dinged on durability.

ckparrot @AaronAloysius And notice that despite an ankle twist two weeks before, he still went thru his pro day and did well. Pattern? You bet.

www.twitter.com/ckparrot

I am agreeing 100% with CK on this one. Kid is big durable back who is always falling forward for the extra yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Former BYU RB Harvey Unga (6-foot-1, 244 pounds) worked out in front of 20 teams Thursday ahead of next week’s supplemental draft.

Among those on hand to watch the all-time leading rusher in Cougars history — on what was described as an older, smoother FieldTurf at BYU — were representatives from the Steelers, Packers, Dolphins, Giants, Seahawks and Saints.
An injured right ankle reportedly hampered Unga’s workout, specifically his ability to cut.

Nevertheless, Unga recorded 40-yard dash times of 4.76 and 4.65; a 4.51-second short shuttle; 7.41-second three-cone drill; a 35-inch vertical jump; and 9-foot, 6-inch broad jump.

Unga voluntarily withdrew from BYU in April after a reported honor-code violation.

The supplemental draft will take place July 15.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/08/ex-byu-rb-unga-works-out-for-20-teams/

I'd pass on Unga; We already need to find a way to replenish the 2nd rounder lost to Denver. Plus the RB talent is pretty deep in 2011 with guys like Daniel Thomas of Kansas state, John Clay of Wisconsin, Evan Royster of Penn State, BRandon Saine of Ohio State, Demarco Murray of Oklahoma, and Shaun Draughn of UNC could be nice options

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. It's going to suck to have 33 years of season-based statistical records basically thrown out the window. Also I can't help but think one way or the other, the players are going to get screwed. It will also lead to more of a disconnect between which teams were the best for the longest during the season, and which teams win the Super Bowl. Already it seems that the teams that win during the regular season can be overcome by lesser teams that just stay healthier longer, and that will only increase.

On the other hand, more football is generally a good thing because we love the sport so much, and there's no doubt that four preseason games is unnecessary.

I Hate to make this OT, but I agree with a lot of the things you say. In the end, I feel like doing an 18-game season is something that's easy for the league (more money!) but not necessarily what is best in maintaining some sort of history as well as a more competitive regular season. In the end, I'm not going to not watch two extra regular season games on principle, as it certainly wouldn't be unenjoyable for me to have two more games to watch. But I feel like I'm getting a better product with 16 games.

John Clay is a junior. The other guys you listed are...options. I wouldn't call them 'nice' options necessarily. Daniel Thomas doesn't look like a pro to me (slow, sloppy). Demarco Murray looks like a dancer, Evan Royster looks like a limited one-cut guy and Brandon Saine was recently (for whatever reason) given a UDFA grade by the national scouting service that provides the NFL with preseason scout grades on seniors. I haven't done anything on Shaun Draughn yet but nothing has ever particularly drawn me to him.

I Hate to make this OT, but I agree with a lot of the things you say. In the end, I feel like doing an 18-game season is something that's easy for the league (more money!) but not necessarily what is best in maintaining some sort of history as well as a more competitive regular season. In the end, I'm not going to not watch two extra regular season games on principle, as it certainly wouldn't be unenjoyable for me to have two more games to watch. But I feel like I'm getting a better product with 16 games.

In that case you'd probably be better off skipping out on the first two games of the season rather than the last two. What they're proposing is to take the final two of the preseason games and make them regular season games, which means there will be two preseason games and then the regular season starts. On that basis you could just skip the first two regular season games just like you'd probably skip watching the preseason games...and I don't know if it will even matter much because in an 18-game season what is happening around playoff time is even more disconnected with what happened during the first two games of the season.

ckparrot @AaronAloysius I've heard 4.62 and 4.65, 35" vert, sprained ankle and all. He plays thru pain. That's a plus. Every runner takes injuries.

www.twitter.com/ckparrot

Ck, I wonder if his 40 time would have been better if his ankle would not have bothered him.

In that case you'd probably be better off skipping out on the first two games of the season rather than the last two. What they're proposing is to take the final two of the preseason games and make them regular season games, which means there will be two preseason games and then the regular season starts. On that basis you could just skip the first two regular season games just like you'd probably skip watching the preseason games...and I don't know if it will even matter much because in an 18-game season what is happening around playoff time is even more disconnected with what happened during the first two games of the season.

Right now I tune in preseason games through whatever source I can find because I'm in TB's local broadcasting area, not Miami. I don't miss any Miami football if I can help it, even if the means of getting it aren't entirely orthodox. If anything, the 18 game schedule would relieve me of the burden of having to find a way to watch two preseason games.

Back
Top Bottom