the official senior bowl week discussion thread... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official senior bowl week discussion thread...

weeden was only 219 lbs...he looks bigger than that to me...i was thinking 235 lbs...heh

He's been slowly losing weight since he joined the team, getting quicker, more agile. When he first showed up if you've ever seen him interviewed back then he was actually big, pretty cut up, one of those Muscle Milk guys.

Already impressing. Fumbled his first exchange from under Center, which you expect especially on the first day, but has the quickest release, already unleashed a beautiful deep ball to Juron Criner over Ryan Steed, and another 17 yard out with great touch after going through progressions in 7 on 7's.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Sounds like Ryan Lindley is struggling mightily. He's missing "inexcusably" low all day, on about half his throws.

BTW Jeff Ireland is at South practice, the one with Lindley, Weeden and Foles.

A lot of my guys getting good reviews so far. Brandon Weeden getting great reviews. Brandon Thompson and Cam Johnson getting good reviews. Dwight Jones getting good reviews.

Quinton Coples getting good reviews, dominating Zebrie Sanders in pass rush and looking great during drills.

I've never understood the hype with either of the FSU offensive tackles. Both very overrated.

Hell, I don't get the hype for any of the offensive tackles in this draft. Matt McCants is as good as any of them from what I've seen.

You could be right about this OT class. I watched Columbia's Jeff Adams during the latter part of the Shrine week and during the game, and he looked about as good as any tackle I've seen in this Draft. Needs to put on some weight but highly athletic, very coachable, got better as the week went on and sealed up the weakness he showed early in the week with power rushers.

not much to take out of that north practice broadcast...not much at all...cam johnson looked good in the limited reps i saw...zeitler looked good in oline one vs one drills but for me at least he loses pop at the second level...russell wilson shpwed off an nfl arm imo...ball comes out quick and with something on it...

frankly i'm underwhelmed with what i saw from this roster as a whole...

Outside of Kalil, any tackle taken in the top 10 picks is a significant reach.

There's more quality depth to this tackle class than it is strong at the top.

From what I can tell...

Kirk Cousins shows off the best arm in North camp. Weeden had the best day of South camp. Foles had some issues during practice holding onto the ball, not being able to find anyone to throw to, bad timing. Lindley (of course) had problems with accuracy. Kellen Moore has people doubting him up and down.

Isaiah Pead looked the most creative and quickest in North camp. He ought to, he's like 190 lbs. He faked a few guys out of their shorts.

Mike Adams struggled with Vinny Curry early but began dominating toward the middle part of practice. Zebrie Sanders struggled. Senio Kelemete dominated pass rushers, including Curry. Mitchell Schwartz was forced to take snaps as a center and actually held his own, surprisingly. William Vlachos struggling, Ben Jones looking far better.

Brian Linthecum (whom I always liked more than Charlie Gantt) and Mike Egnew stood out in North camp.

Alamaeda Ta'amu knocking people around, showing quick hands and great strength off the snap, pushing offensiv elinemen backwards, but gets too high and that can limit him, and he's not pass rushing worth a damn. Brandon Thompson on the other hand is getting off the ball very well and pressuring the passer, looking very good. Mike Martin had some epic battles with Mike Brewster.

Gerrell Robinson struggled to catch the ball, and McNutt struggled a little as well. Brian Quick struggled early but I hear he caught a big one for a long TD after running by Asa Jackson. DeVier Posey looked decent. Marvin Jones (one of the guys I like) might be the best route runner on the North, may have quietly had the best practice of any WR in North camp. Juron Criner caught at least one nicely thrown deep ball on the sideline from Weeden and Joe Adams got in some decent work from Weeden. Dwight Jones looked good.

Cam Johnson looked real good, as I said Vinny Curry had a good start to practice in North camp. Quinton Coples looked dominant. Melvin Ingram struggled. No reports on Upshaw doing anything of note. Jake Bequette not a guy you want in space (which I could've predicted). Shea McLellin adjusting well to OLB.

George Iloka looked very good. Janoris Jenkins looked good in battles with Jeff Fuller and covered him well. Jenkins, Boykin and Steed are the most physical on the jam. Alfonzo Dennard can run well but struggling to get his footing with his back pedal and transition.

Sean Spence getting some rave reviews from scouts.

That's about it so far.

Ta'amu is more of a true nose tackle and most likely a 2-down player, but he's a helluva talent. Most college defensive lineman do have a tendancy to get upright in their stance too quickly and lose leverage. I think it's due to the style of offenses they typically face nowdays. They're not coached to maintain proper leverag and play the position the way Josh Chapman does....especially in conferences that throw it 50-60 times a game.

I've watched Michael Brockers closely. The first thing that I notice is he tends to get upright immediately and lose leverage. He's on skates half the time and can't anchor. It's because LSU is playing with a big lead half the time and kids like Brockers are trying to rack up sacks.

Jason Pierre-Paul was one of the worst cases of this I've seen when he was coming out of South Florida, he's turned into a pretty good player.

The difference is, when it's time to get down and dirty and a true war breaks out at the line of scrimmage, Brockers' technique suddenly gets much, much better. SEC defensive lines tend to have it when they need it.

I'm not particularly interested in how well or poorly any of the QB's perform in this setting, it's not going to change much in terms of how I view them anyway. The best QB's at the Senior Bowl usually end up being failures in the NFL, and the worst one's end up starting and outperforming their draft position.

It's all about what's on film. If you've done your homework, you already have a pretty good idea of what translates and what doesn't.... who can play and who can't.

Ta'amu is more of a true nose tackle and most likely a 2-down player, but he's a helluva talent. Most college defensive lineman do have a tendancy to get upright in their stance too quickly and lose leverage. I think it's due to the style of offenses they typically face nowdays. They're not coached to maintain proper leverag and play the position the way Josh Chapman does....especially in conferences that throw it 50-60 times a game.

I've watched Michael Brockers closely. The first thing that I notice is he tends to get upright immediately and lose leverage. He's on skates half the time and can't anchor. It's because LSU is playing with a big lead half the time and kids like Brockers are trying to rack up sacks.

Jason Pierre-Paul was one of the worst cases of this I've seen when he was coming out of South Florida, he's turned into a pretty good player.

The difference is, when it's time to get down and dirty and a true war breaks out at the line of scrimmage, Brockers' technique suddenly gets much, much better. SEC defensive lines tend to have it when they need it.

I'm not particularly interested in how well or poorly any of the QB's perform in this setting, it's not going to change much in terms of how I view them anyway. The best QB's at the Senior Bowl usually end up being failures in the NFL, and the worst one's end up starting and outperforming their draft position.

It's all about what's on film. If you've done your homework, you already have a pretty good idea of what translates and what doesn't.... who can play and who can't.

That's certainly not been my experience tracking these things over the last decade.

That's certainly not been my experience tracking these things over the last decade.

It happened last year. Kaepernick was the best QB all week last year and Andy Dalton was the worst. Dalton just started from day 1 and led his team to the playoffs while Harbaugh is still trying to break Colin Kaepernick of reaching back all the way to Salt Lake City to throw the football.

Pat White was the best QB in Mobile, along with the MVP of the game itself. Chad Henne looked terrific at the Senior Bowl.

Hell I remember Cade McNown winning the MVP at the Senior Bowl.

There's several, several more examples that I'm leaving out. I'm not saying it's the case 100% of the time. Just saying that it's the case a lot of times.

Certain type QB's are always going to standout in this type of setting, and certain types are always going to struggle. But in no way does it determine who can play and who can't.

I've never heard any report that said that Kaepernick was the best QB all week. The best I heard about him was that he was showing up Jake Locker (not hard to do) and looking surprisingly good. Never heard any report that said Dalton was the worst all week, either. The guy who clearly had the best game was Christian Ponder. Kaepernick did not have a good game.

And Pat White was not the best passer in Mobile by a long shot. He got the MVP of the game, but that was for his work running the ball. He completed something like 4 of 12 passes during the game.

I think it's like seeing shapes in cloud formations. If you're intent to see it a certain way then that's what you'll do. But Phil Rivers and Carson Palmer absolutely killed the Senior Bowl, and they went on to good careers. I know from my own experiences having watched Shrine practices up close the last three years that a lot of what you see out there translates.

Carson Palmer and Phillip Rivers were already outstanding quarterbacks on film and in games before they ever went to Mobile. They didn't become good quarterbacks because of the Senior Bowl. They were already good quarterbacks.

People can place whatever significance you want on a week of Senior Bowl practice, along with any hype that comes via the Tom Condon hype train (Blaine Gabbert, etc.) Be my guest.

I'd assume the Titans are satisfied with Jake Locker. Hell, they had a 2nd string rookie that can outperform Sam Bradford and Blaine Gabbert.

An outstanding Senior Bowl performance can't keep Christian Ponder healthy.

Andy Dalton was bad all week. Colin Kaepernick was excellent all week. If it's necessary to go back and read a wide range of Senior Bowl reports from last year to refresh you memory, do so.

Some thoughts on North practice from a draftnik that admittedly I do not know and cannot vouch for:

- Russell Wilson overall shined the most, strong arm, ability to drive football, not perfect accuracy but good
- Kirk Cousins inconsistent, up and down accuracy, but did a good job driving ball outside the numbers
- Kellen Moore no power in his throws

- Most impressive was Chris Polk but hard position to look at, at this stage in practice

- Brian Quick not a good day, slow, sloppy routes, no burst
- Gerrell Robinson good athleticism
- DeVier Posey good but doesn't have the speed to make big plays deep
- Michael Egnew looked athletic as a receiver over the middle

- Mike Adams the best OL today, dominated pass rush drills
- Mike Brewster had good battles with Mike Martin, came away as winner
- Zeitler started slow but finished strong, doing well in pass pro second time around
- Kelechi Osemele showed a lack of lateral agility that should see him moving inside
- Garth Gerhart outclassed today

- Defensive Line winners were Derek Wolfe and Mike Martin
- Wolfe great pass rush, motor, get-off, pad level
- Martin a pitbull, good strength, great leverage at point of attack
- Vinny Curry good agility off the snap but no pass rush moves, Mike Adams dominated at point of attack
- Alamaeda Ta'amu definitely a two-down plugger
- Kendall Reyes surprising, good quickness and agility
- Billy Wynn may slide in draft, does most things well but nothing really well
- Cam Johnson impressive, one of the best bursts off the ball of any player, agility and quickness, needs better hands

-

Back
Top Bottom