This cant be good for the Pats | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This cant be good for the Pats

I see goodell is still stalling:

Walsh talks may be near

It has been more than two months since the name Matt Walsh entered the local sports lexicon, and we may finally be close to knowing what light, if any, he can shed on the Patriots [team stats]’ videotaping practices.
- John Tomase (taintriots fans fav writer)

“I have never met Matt but I’m hoping to meet him some time in the near future,†Goodell told those in attendance in comments relayed by the Dallas Morning News. “He’s indicated he has evidence and new information that would lead to further disciplinary action. I’m anxious to meet with him. I hope that’ll happen some time in the next couple weeks.â€
- goodell

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...bg?articleid=1088014&srvc=patriots&position=1

how is he stalling? He's said in the media the whole time that he wants to hear from this guy. There's nothing stopping him from talking. There's no agreement.

I see goodell is still stalling:

Walsh talks may be near

It has been more than two months since the name Matt Walsh entered the local sports lexicon, and we may finally be close to knowing what light, if any, he can shed on the Patriots [team stats]’ videotaping practices.
- John Tomase (taintriots fans fav writer)​

“I have never met Matt but I’m hoping to meet him some time in the near future,†Goodell told those in attendance in comments relayed by the Dallas Morning News. “He’s indicated he has evidence and new information that would lead to further disciplinary action. I’m anxious to meet with him. I hope that’ll happen some time in the next couple weeks.â€
- goodell​

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...bg?articleid=1088014&srvc=patriots&position=1

Call it what you want but the league isn't going to give Walsh a kitchen sink indemnity. It just isn't going to happen. There is no way the league is going to open itself to cover any and all legal cost Walsh could possibly face. I'm sure goodell wants to see what he has but it certainly isn't worth what it could potientially cost the NFL and the commisioner isn't stupid.

Like I said Matt perhaps its time you called Michael Moore. He and Specter can make a documentary together.
Sorry but Moore has shied away from doing pieces of complete fiction. He requires there be at least some truth in it.

Call it what you want but the league isn't going to give Walsh a kitchen sink indemnity. It just isn't going to happen. There is no way the league is going to open itself to cover any and all legal cost Walsh could possibly face. I'm sure goodell wants to see what he has but it certainly isn't worth what it could potientially cost the NFL and the commisioner isn't stupid.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

WALSH DEAL IS IN PLACE

WALSH GETS ONGOING ACCESS TO HIS MATERIALS

"...after Walsh surrenders to the league whatever tangible evidence that he has in his possession, he’ll still have access to it."

WALSH WINS THE “TRUTH†SKIRMISH

"The indemnification commitment Walsh receives in paragraph 3(a) applies even if there is “alleged untruthfulness†in Walsh’s disclosures to the NFL, unless there is “intentional untruthfulness."

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

"Perchance, he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him."
-Meditation #17 By John Donne

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Fantasy land is where they put asterisks next to the Super Bowl Champions name.

They better team won those Championships and no amount of snivelling is going to take that away from them, get over it.
I'm not so sure the better team did win each of the Pats' Super Bowls. The overwhelming consensus for the Pats' first Super Bowl win in this run was that the Rams were a better team. The Pats also barely won that game. It's tough to tell who was better between the Pats and Carolina Panthers. The Pats barely won. It's also debatable whether or not the Pats were better than Philly. The Pats barely won. They won all three of those Super Bowls by a COMBINED 9 points. 3 points a piece. Many in the closing minutes. I'd say any little advantage made a difference in those games. Including illegal advantages.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

WALSH DEAL IS IN PLACE

WALSH GETS ONGOING ACCESS TO HIS MATERIALS

"...after Walsh surrenders to the league whatever tangible evidence that he has in his possession, he’ll still have access to it."

WALSH WINS THE “TRUTH†SKIRMISH

"The indemnification commitment Walsh receives in paragraph 3(a) applies even if there is “alleged untruthfulness†in Walsh’s disclosures to the NFL, unless there is “intentional untruthfulness."

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

"Perchance, he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him."
-Meditation #17 By John Donne

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

There lies the end of the NFL's indemnity...not exactly a kitchen sink deal

unless there is “intentional untruthfulness."

I'm sure the NY lawyers will make a mint defending that clause

There lies the end of the NFL's indemnity...not exactly a kitchen sink deal

unless there is “intentional untruthfulness."

I'm sure the NY lawyers will make a mint defending that clause

Unless he has the tape we all think he has--then that alone will speak all that anyone will need to hear and "the laughter heard 'round the world" will be upon us if the Pats try to spin that it was Walsh acting alone.....

I've read the agreement on the way home tonight. This should be a lot of fun on May 13 (unless you're a Pats* fan, that is):up:

Patriots statement

The Patriots released the following statement today:
"The New England Patriots are pleased to learn that Matt Walsh is finally willing to come forward to meet with the NFL. We are eagerly anticipating his honest disclosures to Commissioner Goodell next month and the return of all the materials he took during his time of employment. We fully expect this meeting to conclude the league’s investigation into a damaging and false allegation that was originally levied against the team on the day before this year’s Super Bowl.
It is important to note that there has never been a confidentiality agreement restricting Matt Walsh and no legal protections were ever necessary for him to speak to the NFL, to media outlets or to anyone else regarding his employment with the Patriots. He demanded to be released from responsibility for his statements, and after a frustrating and lengthy negotiation period, a settlement has finally been reached. Walsh has been granted a significant number of privileges through this agreement, none of which the Patriots or the NFL were obligated to give.
At all times, we cooperated fully with the league’s investigation and stand by our initial public statement from Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008: “The suggestion that the New England Patriots recorded the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002 is absolutely false.â€

Patriots statement

The Patriots released the following statement today:
"The New England Patriots are pleased to learn that Matt Walsh is finally willing to come forward to meet with the NFL. We are eagerly anticipating his honest disclosures to Commissioner Goodell next month and the return of all the materials he took during his time of employment. We fully expect this meeting to conclude the league’s investigation into a damaging and false allegation that was originally levied against the team on the day before this year’s Super Bowl.
It is important to note that there has never been a confidentiality agreement restricting Matt Walsh and no legal protections were ever necessary for him to speak to the NFL, to media outlets or to anyone else regarding his employment with the Patriots. He demanded to be released from responsibility for his statements, and after a frustrating and lengthy negotiation period, a settlement has finally been reached. Walsh has been granted a significant number of privileges through this agreement, none of which the Patriots or the NFL were obligated to give.
At all times, we cooperated fully with the league’s investigation and stand by our initial public statement from Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008: “The suggestion that the New England Patriots recorded the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002 is absolutely false.â€
You're in for a rough ride for the next couple of months. How do you think Bilicheck wet from being horrible and getting canned in Cleveland, to making your once mediocre franchise the preeminent team in the NFL?

You're in for a rough ride for the next couple of months. How do you think Bilicheck wet from being horrible and getting canned in Cleveland, to making your once mediocre franchise the preeminent team in the NFL?

Drafting quality players, having stable ownership and some guy named Tom Brady.

If you think ANY coach can take a team as far as Belichick has by video taping some defensive signals and then trying to sort out what the real signal was and who the real signal caller was then I've got a nice used bridge you'd be interested in. The team stated any allogations of a walk thru taping are absolutely false and I intend to stand by my team. We'll see what comes out but you might want to think about what to cry about next should Walsh not produce a walk thru tape. :boohoo:

If you think ANY coach can take a team as far as Belichick has by video taping some defensive signals and then trying to sort out what the real signal was and who the real signal caller was then I've got a nice used bridge you'd be interested in. The team stated any allogations of a walk thru taping are absolutely false and I intend to stand by my team. We'll see what comes out but you might want to think about what to cry about next should Walsh not produce a walk thru tape. :boohoo:

After reading the Agt. itself last night, some thoughts:

1. It's clear that both sides contemplate Walsh having tapes--there's no doubt about that now;

2. Section 1(a) also contemplates the idea that Walsh may have given materials to others and needs to get that back--Tomasse perhaps, or some third party to back his story up to Tomasse so that the Herald could run the story without fear of being sued? A journalist on the Bills board says that this would not be unheard of, actually;

3. Under 1(b), and as has been reported elsewhere, it looks like Walsh can talk to third parties about what he's turning over, but there are restrictions on his ability to let others see his lawyer's copy of the materials he gets to keep (at least for a little while--there's another provision saying he needs to turn those materials over to the League at some point);

4. Under section 2 Walsh will be talking to the NFL not just about videotaping, but also about "any other violations" of which he has personal knowledge (audiotaping perhaps? like the fact that the Pats had two extra frequencies on their headsets than the three the NFL allows--gee, I wonder what the other two were for?);

5. The possibility of Congressional hearings is contemplated in section 3(a);

6. What to me may be the most important nugget here is also in 3(a), namely the Agt. goes into detail on when Walsh was presumed to be working for the Pats and actions he took will be presumed to be their actions--including taping activities relating to Pats games (the "Covered Videotaping Action" defn.) It then goes on to say that things outside those listed activities (which, to my reading, may arguably not include taping a Rams practice) need to be proved by Walsh to have been Pats actions by a preponderance of the evidence. The fact that this is even in here leads me to even more strongly suspect that on May 13 among the items turned over will be a SB 36 walkthrough tape.

7. I also found thr section on rehabilitating reputations (4(b)) interesting, but am not quite sure what's contemplated by it. It is pretty powerful, however, due to the statement that it trumps the rest of the Agt.

For those of you Pats fans taking comfort from the Pats strong denials--go back and re-read that denial. They say that the "NE Patriots" didn't tape the walkthrough--that will be their argument, it was Walsh as a lone gunman. And the rest of world outside New England will have a good old laugh at that, I suspect, as will the Commissioner (see the article from the AP tonight saying that Goodell has said that a SB tape is a different animal entirely from what they were punished for in the fall). As noted before, in that case, my suspicion is that BB may have coached his last NFL game and the loss of a first round draft pick this year will be made to look like a slap on the wrist.

I originally thought that the announcement of an Agt. yesterday may be to the Pats benefit when I saw the timing of this--i.e., if they're doing all this this week, the week of the draft, then the League thinks Walsh has nothing. But when the fact that they plan to do this in the NFL season "dead zone" of the period between the draft and spring training, I now think just the opposite. The delay here IMHO has been the NFL trying to position what they know to be a smelly problem into a media period when it will do them the least harm.

Mr. NFLFan, weren't you one of the folks saying this would all get buried? Well, perhaps not, huh?

After reading the Agt. itself last night, some thoughts:

1. It's clear that both sides contemplate Walsh having tapes--there's no doubt about that now;

2. Section 1(a) also contemplates the idea that Walsh may have given materials to others and needs to get that back--Tomasse perhaps, or some third party to back his story up to Tomasse so that the Herald could run the story without fear of being sued? A journalist on the Bills board says that this would not be unheard of, actually;

3. Under 1(b), and as has been reported elsewhere, it looks like Walsh can talk to third parties about what he's turning over, but there are restrictions on his ability to let others see his lawyer's copy of the materials he gets to keep (at least for a little while--there's another provision saying he needs to turn those materials over to the League at some point);

4. Under section 2 Walsh will be talking to the NFL not just about videotaping, but also about "any other violations" of which he has personal knowledge (audiotaping perhaps? like the fact that the Pats had two extra frequencies on their headsets than the three the NFL allows--gee, I wonder what the other two were for?);

5. The possibility of Congressional hearings is contemplated in section 3(a);

6. What to me may be the most important nugget here is also in 3(a), namely the Agt. goes into detail on when Walsh was presumed to be working for the Pats and actions he took will be presumed to be their actions--including taping activities relating to Pats games (the "Covered Videotaping Action" defn.) It then goes on to say that things outside those listed activities (which, to my reading, may arguably not include taping a Rams practice) need to be proved by Walsh to have been Pats actions by a preponderance of the evidence. The fact that this is even in here leads me to even more strongly suspect that on May 13 among the items turned over will be a SB 36 walkthrough tape.

7. I also found thr section on rehabilitating reputations (4(b)) interesting, but am not quite sure what's contemplated by it. It is pretty powerful, however, due to the statement that it trumps the rest of the Agt.

For those of you Pats fans taking comfort from the Pats strong denials--go back and re-read that denial. They say that the "NE Patriots" didn't tape the walkthrough--that will be their argument, it was Walsh as a lone gunman. And the rest of world outside New England will have a good old laugh at that, I suspect, as will the Commissioner (see the article from the AP tonight saying that Goodell has said that a SB tape is a different animal entirely from what they were punished for in the fall). As noted before, in that case, my suspicion is that BB may have coached his last NFL game and the loss of a first round draft pick this year will be made to look like a slap on the wrist.

I originally thought that the announcement of an Agt. yesterday may be to the Pats benefit when I saw the timing of this--i.e., if they're doing all this this week, the week of the draft, then the League thinks Walsh has nothing. But when the fact that they plan to do this in the NFL season "dead zone" of the period between the draft and spring training, I now think just the opposite. The delay here IMHO has been the NFL trying to position what they know to be a smelly problem into a media period when it will do them the least harm.

Mr. NFLFan, weren't you one of the folks saying this would all get buried? Well, perhaps not, huh?

No actually I said the league wouldn't give Walsh a complete kitchen sink indemnity and this is still not a kitchen sink indemnity. As I've come to know your act, you're always counting the chickens before the eggs hatch. Funny how nothing really changes huh.

Back
Top Bottom