Thoughts on Pat Devlin? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Pat Devlin?

Devlin is now 26, and entering into his forth year, without ever playing a NFL snap. Philbin loves him but, has never played him.
This is somewhat confusing for Phans who question Matt Moore's contract, as well as drafting a QB in the mid-late rounds.

I have no idea what to think, as he has played less than Dallas' 2 snaps, and has taken 3 years to do it. This is not an Aaron Rogers deal.

So, what do we do with him this year? Is he worth keeping? Can he replace Moore as a legit backup?

Dolphins would've gone 13-3 with him starting. Duh.

I dont really get what it is devlin has ever done that makes people conformable with him as the backup. All I see is a guy who comes on and looks very very average against third stringers, has a weak arm and always throws a late int In the endzone

Id genuinely love to hear from one of the people who want him as our backup qb.... just why? Pity?

Whenever Devlin's name comes up there are 2 - 3 people who come into the discussion with incredible faith in Pat. BG12DM13CP10 (the alphabet guy) is one. I haven't seen enough of Devlin to be able to make an objective assessment, but he must have something for Joe Philbin to want him to stick around. I have seen Devlin interviewed and he is a very classy guy. He's probably good as #3.
However, if good QBs are dropping in the Draft, it could be prudent to select one. If a player like Aaron Murray is still there in the 4th round, he could be seen as good value as a future QB to develop. At a minimum he could be seen as a future backup QB to save the $5M/season we spend on Matt Moore. While I like Matt and believe he's a perfect backup for Tannehill, he's also not cheap but $5M will be needed in the future to help pay for Tannehill, not just go into insurance. If we draft a player like Murray or McCarron, we still have a year with Moore as the #2. There may also be upside, if he develops. Drafting a mid round QB is the smart strategic planning option.
What this means is that if we draft a QB, Pat Devlin probably becomes expendable. He is inexpensive, but the drafted QB gets developed and maybe has upside potential. If we don't draft a QB, then we probably keep Devlin. He should be good enough to beat out Jordan Rodgers, but if he's not then his days in the NFL may be limited.

He is useless and is a waste of a roster spot...time to draft another late round QB to replace him.

I disagree that he is useless, but lets just say that he is....it would be nice to have that extra roster spot and only carry 2 QBs during the year.

I get that's it's a slow news period, especially with the draft in May this year, but this isn't an issue that should be or even could be decided before we see everyone perform in preseason.

A few friends and I were talking about Devlin, and wondering what Philbin sees in him. I thought maybe someone here might know more but, everyone seems to have the same questions.

I dont really get what it is devlin has ever done that makes people conformable with him as the backup. All I see is a guy who comes on and looks very very average against third stringers, has a weak arm and always throws a late int In the endzone

Id genuinely love to hear from one of the people who want him as our backup qb.... just why? Pity?

Maybe Philbin will hear about this thread, and post something to explain what he sees in him. lol I don't have a clue.

Who knows? Maybe Devlin keeps the neatest locker Philbin has ever seen.

LOL, and maybe checks the field for gum wrappers and the like after practice.

Was Devlin ever taken off the practice squad?

It's interesting that Devlin was a top 10 QB in the 2011 draft, per mike mayock.

and yes, devlin has been on the active roster.

So, what do we do with him this year? Is he worth keeping? Can he replace Moore as a legit backup?

I have seen enough of Matt Moore to feel that he is pretty expendable. I think we should move Devlin to the #2 spot. I would like to draft South Carolina's Connor Shaw somewhere between round 4-6. I believe he had the fast 40 of QB's at the combine and he can throw the long ball.

[video=youtube;-CW2wA4ANCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CW2wA4ANCA[/video]

I have seen enough of Matt Moore to feel that he is pretty expendable. I think we should move Devlin to the #2 spot. I would like to draft South Carolina's Connor Shaw somewhere between round 4-6. I believe he had the fast 40 of QB's at the combine and he can throw the long ball.

[video=youtube;-CW2wA4ANCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CW2wA4ANCA[/video]

So what has Devlin shown to say he isn't expendable?

You people are going on nothing but blind faith.

Devlin is better than Aaron Corp. that is all. Next up in this ever so important QB #3 battle is Jordan Rogers. Hopefully they bring in a QB with real potential because on the roster as constructed we have 1 drafted QB on the team.

Back
Top Bottom