Time to move on from Matt Moore..... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to move on from Matt Moore.....

Fales looked good against a poor Minnesota scrub team.
He is better than Doubty so he should be the 3rd QB.
Moore is our back up this year and next year.
Culter will be gone next year.
This is RTs team

I don't want to derail thread but I was just looking back at all jobs Gase has had and the QBs on the rosters, not seeing a whole lot young talent wise that was developed(again not knocking him and saying his label isn't true, just not sure why it gets lumped in with being great offensive mind). I did learn something I didn't know though, he was an offensive assistant under Mike Martz.

Yep. Martz was Gase's offensive mentor and both have shared a long relationship with Cutler as well. Both also limited Cutler and reeled him in.

Gase shares Martz penchant for aggressive playcalling and high-low reads but a few areas that he has gotten away from Martz is the 5-7 step QB drops (which is good) and using the RB in the passing game beyond simple outlet routes and check downs (need to get back to that). Now obviously we don't have a Marshal Faulk at our disposal but it would be nice to have RB threat in the passing game.

Yep. Martz was Gase's offensive mentor and both have shared a long relationship with Cutler as well. Both also limited Cutler and reeled him in.

Gase shares Martz penchant for aggressive playcalling and high-low reads but a few areas that he has gotten away from Martz is the 5-7 step QB drops (which is good) and using the RB in the passing game beyond simple outlet routes and check downs (need to get back to that). Now obviously we don't have a Marshal Faulk at our disposal but it would be nice to have RB threat in the passing game.
Jay Ajayi spent a lot of time in the off-season practicing his catching. While he wasn't used in that capacity last season, he will probably be given opportunities to show what he can do when he catches a short pass. Already in his brief appearances in the practice games, we have seen him catching the ball. It appears that the intention was for him to be an outlet for Tannehill but it can work just as well for Cutler (think of all the short passes and big yardage gained by Matt Forte in Chicago). Let's see how Ajayi goes. He could be scary for Defenses to stop if he shows he has safe hands.

Jay Ajayi spent a lot of time in the off-season practicing his catching. While he wasn't used in that capacity last season, he will probably be given opportunities to show what he can do when he catches a short pass. Already in his brief appearances in the practice games, we have seen him catching the ball. It appears that the intention was for him to be an outlet for Tannehill but it can work just as well for Cutler (think of all the short passes and big yardage gained by Matt Forte in Chicago). Let's see how Ajayi goes. He could be scary for Defenses to stop if he shows he has safe hands.

I can see Ajayi being a competent outlet option.

I cannot see Ajayi coming anywhere near the receiving weapon that Forte was in being split wide and running a plethora of routes on the perimeter vs CBs.

After watching the pre season highlights again, I was wondering.

Why is Matt Moore still on this team?

Over the last years, I was big on keeping him but he is old and slow and does not have a great arm so...I know he helped us win some games at the end of last season but...he cannot run the Tannehill offense anyway and some of our younger QBs are looking good.

There is a point where you need to move on to younger players (or lose them).

David Fales might have just saved Jakeem Grant's place on the team.

Fales and Doughty have been released and Matt Moore knows the offense and is more than capable of running it. He is also an excellent mentor and friend to Ryan Tannehill.

He's a mainstay for the team at this point. He knows the players, their quirks, the teams culture, he knows the offense, he's comfortable in his role, and, for whatever reason, always has bad preseasons but plays well when called upon during the regular season.

I think some of his interceptions were on the WR's and TE's most notably Julius Thomas

With the glass half full, or maybe even brimming over, my hope is this:

The Dolphins have already made Fales a good contract offer; of course, hypothetically and only orally, and they are actively trying to get a pick for Matt Moore. I doubt this would be legal, and certainly not ethical, but it could be doable, maybe, I think.

There still are a few teams with absolutely nothing on their roster after their starting QB.

Everybody loves Matt and I get the impression that he and Adam Gase are friends. Maybe he is ready to just start a coaching career. He is in his mid-thirties.

Maybe next yr....it all depends on what dolphins want to do next yr with qb. The bottom line they need draft qb with in next 2 yr....

You can't put the Steeler loss on Moore. The D couldn't stop Pitt's offense. They scored easy TDs on their first 3 possessions. Game was over in the first Quarter.

Good discussion....I just think it's time to be looking for a young QB to Groom and serve as back up.....versus Matt Moore who might win a game or two in relief against flawed opponents...but won't win anything that matters.

Back
Top Bottom