To All of you Randy Shannon Fluffers... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To All of you Randy Shannon Fluffers...

It's so ridiculously obvious how some on this website just flat out don't like Randy Shannon or any decision he makes.

If Kendall Thompkins was so good, why can't he beat out Collier? Why isn't Whipple saying no, don't take Thompkins to defense? I don't care what some second rate reporter from the Herald says, or what some other player says who's probably pissed because he's not playing either.

Everyone has a right to their opinion.

By your same post, I could also say "It's amazing how many people support Shannon and every decision he makes." Not only that, but using extreme language such as "every".

I liked his decision to bring in Whipple. I liked when he ****canned Walton after year one. Just because he's the coach doesn't mean that people have to follow everything he does. It's part of being a fan. You can be skeptical and disagree with the coach.

People didn't like Coker, and were told they weren't fans because Coker was the goods. Obviously, Coker wasn't.

Hell, take the main forums here. Some people think Sparano is an incompetent boob. Does that make them any less of Dolphins fans? No. They just don't agree with his decisions.

It's all subjective. Some people see Shannon as fantastic, and some see him as not so great. Just comes with the territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about any sign-on bonus. And no, I don't know everything. Never have never will. The offer was not withdrawn. That I do know. There's no way his coach tells me we have nothing to worry about and then Nix decommitts and heads North. Nix officially decommitted.

It does seem similar to the Bryce Brown situation but Bryce Brown's offer expired and he was never issued another one. When it came time to pick a school, Bryce did not have an offer from Miami to sign. Shannon made that clear. If Nix had his offer withdrawn, why wouldn't Shannon again protect himself by saying so? Nix's coach was very disappointed and very upset with how he handled the situation. That's all I know. I have no reason to not trust that source.

All we talked about last year was how loaded this class was going to be because of all the talent in the South Florida area. It's ridiculous how much talent is here this season. It's some of the deepest I've seen in years. And how disappointed are we with the results of this class when National Signing Day is just under a month away? I'm not too thrilled about it. The only hope we have is for a big recruiting weekend when the Pro Bowl is in town. It's the weekend before National Signing Day. And I can't understand why Shannon doesn't hold some weekend event for big name recruits like the Seminoles and Gators do. Kids come out of those weekends raving about those programs. And Florida State uses those weekends to land kids like Jeff Luc. And Florida lands guys like Matt Elam. And we don't have any of that stuff that recruits crave...why?

J - here's what doesn't make sense. Coach says we have nothing to worry about, but player ends up leaving. So is it because the player wasn't telling the coach everything? If that's the case, the coach then becomes an unreliable source, because even he does NOT know what's going on. I'm sure the coach really did think Nix was going there, but something doesn't add up, and like I said, I don't think any of us really know what happened with him. And I really don't blame Randy for losing him.
But I'm also disappointed with the recruiting class to an extent. I think we needed a very strong QB recruit, which we didn't get. We obviously need defensive line help and secondary help, neither of which I'm sure we got. But the thing is, we did get some players there. And although I think recruiting services are probably better now than they were 10 years ago, just remember the type of players we got before, that were also relative unknowns.
The second Shannon starts getting the same results, or lesser results, is when his job will begin to be in jeopardy. Hocutt is very likely to give him at least 2010 and 2011 to get us back in the BCS.

Nice heads up on that J. Clearly though, you were trying to purposely mislead people...oh wait.....

I don't know why you, a moderator, is trying so much to create animosity here, but I think I was rather clear in two separate posts about what JCane said that was misleading, and it's been settled. Had nothing to do with the Thompkins/Berry situation, and had nothing to do with you.

Very good info by JCane, beating the Herald by several days. I saw the blurb about Shannon asking Kendall Thompkins to switch to defense in Barry Jackson's column.

For some reason the OP was edited to exclude that segment, but it held up.

I had to. There are some things that I hear that I can't share and there are some things I hear that probably shouldn't be shared but I do it anyway. This was one of those that I probably should have left a lid on. I didn't really think it mattered because as we all know, this isn't the first time Shannon has strongarmed a kid into changing positions.

Somehow, this information made its way over to CaneSport. I doubt that anyone from FinHeaven took this info to CaneSport but once Ferman's gang got ahold of it, the info spread like wildfire and I got a call. I'm sure someone else got the same information I did and someone told somone who told someone and then it blows up. It always blows up but usually by that time the Herald, Sun-Sentinel, etc., have their hands on it as well and it doesn't matter.

The school actually has a couple of people who monitor these boards all day. They monitor Scout, Rivals, ITU, and other boards with proclaimed inside information. That's why I edited my original post to exclude that particular segment.

I'm never gonna come here and just drop my opinion and try to sell it off as the truth and mislead anyone. That's not what I'm about, guys. I'm just sick of seeing this program that I grew up with and love so much drown in mediocrity. I'm very vocal about that.

This program should have high standards and right now I don't feel very confident in the programs current standards. I'm tired of seeing other programs such as USC and Alabama make explosive hires while we standby and "settle" for midde of the pack coaches. I had high hopes for Shannon when he was first named the head coach at Miami. But I haven't seen anythng from him that makes me really believe he'll take us back. In his first season I watched him do nothing with bad football players and gave him a pass. Now, I'm watching him take some great athletes and put an average product on the field in a conference we should win every other year on average based on athlete v. athelete.

I don't see him as either fantastic, or as an incompetent boob. These UM threads are all turning into bashing of Randy and it's just crazy.

I see your point Cedar and appreciate your opinion, but there is some blatant dislike for Randy on this site and it's ridiculous.

You may not like it man, but it's the nature of fans. They either like a guy or they don't. They shouldn't be penalized for their opinion.

It's America, not Syria.

It's so ridiculously obvious how some on this website just flat out don't like Randy Shannon or any decision he makes.

If Kendall Thompkins was so good, why can't he beat out Collier? Why isn't Whipple saying no, don't take Thompkins to defense? I don't care what some second rate reporter from the Herald says, or what some other player says who's probably pissed because he's not playing either.

That's not the issue here. Who cares if Thompkins can't play a lick at wide receiver. This issue is Shannon forcing these kids to take roles they don't want to take because they were recruited at other positions by Miami and other big name schools. If you recall, Thompkins was dead set on Nebraska. We all know how Shannon plays his favoites and gives more playing time to guys with seniority no matter if the Freshman is better than the Junior. That's Shannon's MO. There's no arguing that.

It would be different if this was an isolated case and Thompkins didn't want to do it, but Shannon has done this numerous times and it WILL affect future recruiting. You gotta look big picture here. If I can see it and I'm just some Monday morning QB, what do you think coaches tell these recruits on the recruiting trail about Shannon and his philosophies when they have example after example to point to?

That's all I'm saying. Forget about whether or not Thompkins can play. Besides, Thompkins has never played a meaningful down on the defensive side of the football. Why would we convert him like that? Sam Shields was terrible at both posistions. Damien Berry wasn't that great at DB. Damien Berry is the best player on the field when he's in the game. We all see it. But again, Shannon's philosophies of playing the more senior athletes and his 'doghouse' is holding this team back. And I really think that Shannon has a personal vendetta against Berry's father from way back when. It would not surprise me at all.

J - here's what doesn't make sense. Coach says we have nothing to worry about, but player ends up leaving. So is it because the player wasn't telling the coach everything? If that's the case, the coach then becomes an unreliable source, because even he does NOT know what's going on. I'm sure the coach really did think Nix was going there, but something doesn't add up, and like I said, I don't think any of us really know what happened with him. And I really don't blame Randy for losing him.
But I'm also disappointed with the recruiting class to an extent. I think we needed a very strong QB recruit, which we didn't get. We obviously need defensive line help and secondary help, neither of which I'm sure we got. But the thing is, we did get some players there. And although I think recruiting services are probably better now than they were 10 years ago, just remember the type of players we got before, that were also relative unknowns.
The second Shannon starts getting the same results, or lesser results, is when his job will begin to be in jeopardy. Hocutt is very likely to give him at least 2010 and 2011 to get us back in the BCS.

Obviously, Nix wasn't being 100% honest with his coaches which is a big no-no in recruiting. If players aren't going to be 100% honest and backtrack, a lot of times coaches will become less helpful. We all seen how ugly the Marve situation became.

Speaking of QB recruits, how about this Marcoux kid who came down for some game (I forget what it was) and throws like four or five touchdown and leaves South Florida with several offers and not one from Miami. Incredible.

And from what I'm told, Shannon's extension is on the table. 4 - 5 years @ $1.3 - $1.5 with a buyout that is VERY favorable to the University.

Shannon recruited Berry so he could put him on the bench because he doesn't like Berry's dad? Berry was part of Shannon's first recruiting class, right?

I don't see him as either fantastic, or as an incompetent boob. These UM threads are all turning into bashing of Randy and it's just crazy.

I see your point Cedar and appreciate your opinion, but there is some blatant dislike for Randy on this site and it's ridiculous.

I'm just frustrated as all hell man. I'm calling it as I see it. I did the same thing midway thru Coker's third season. And this was after he was coming off a loss in the BCS title game against Ohio State. I started killing Coker. People called me crazy. I couldn't be satisfied. Coker had won one natonal title and should have won two and here I am talking about how he's in over his head and how the program would steadily erode. Sure enough everyone began to see it as well.

There's blatant dislike for Randy the coach. Not Randy the person because he is a great individual.

Who else did he strong arm into changing positions JCane?

Damien Berry and Sam Shields are two that come to mind immediately. A lot of people don't know it but Sean Spence was played out of position all season as the strongside linebacker when he lacks the ideal size. That was Shannon's call as well.

Back
Top Bottom