Todd McShay's Mock Draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todd McShay's Mock Draft

A couple of things.

1. Cameron Wake is a superb athlete with a lot of strength, balance and burst. If you take his hands out of the dirt and give him enough reps I'm sure he'd be fine. And you can always put his hand in the dirt on occasion even though he has literally the same exact responsibilities in the 3-4 that you would normally give Joey Porter.

2. Lamarr Woodley showed up at the Combine 6 feet, 1.5 inches.

3. Demanding height in your outside linebackers is all about dominating the tight end and the quarterback. Height and wingspan combined with a player that naturally reads the quarterback's eyes is a deadly combination. A taller player is just a more imposing player. It's not ALWAYS right but no single draft strategy is always right or even obviously right. But this is the strategy Parcells has adhered to for a long time and he's built plenty of winners so...I'm not gonna call him a fool over it.

4. Nobody will trade us anything significant for Joey Porter in the off season, regardless of how popular the 3-4 has become. He's old, having a sub-par year and he's a very highly paid man. Bad combination.

5. Trading Phil Merling would not at all be "astronomically stupid" IMO...but, at the same time he's young, he can play in the rotation, relatively inexpensive, and he keeps his mouth shut. If we were to trade him, it would really have to be a thing where someone came with an offer we just couldn't refuse, like a first round pick or a high second rounder. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense because what exactly does trading valuable young depth like him for an even younger player accomplish? I don't believe Merling will ever be a career starter for this team but I can't say as I'd be surprised if somehow it still ended up working out that way. He's got about as much chance of making that happen as a third round draft pick would. Not all of them pan out, look at Pat Turner (so far).

5. Not the biggest fan of Norwood, or Kindle.

Like many here, I love Wake. He's one of my very favorite players in the league. I'm confident he'll be our starting WSOLB next season. I'm worried that Hughes doesn't have the bulk to be a SSOLB, and that's kind of why I'm so high on Graham. If we can add a few pounds to Hughes, though, he does remind me of D. Ware. With those players [Hughes/Graham (know there's the height issue) and Wake] on the edge - assuming we get a decent DC - and some added help inside, I think our D will be well on its way.

I don't think you plug a Jerry Hughes in at SOLB, I'm with you on that one. He's a speed rusher, like Cameron Wake.

Personally I think the ILB position could get taken care of in free agency.

the questions i and a couple others have had about earl thomas are his tackling...as in how sure of a tackler is he...cause we can't have another sean smith at free safety...lol

if thomas checks out fine as a tackler and i haven't watched much of him yet i would say from what i do know it's a grand larceny to get him in the mid 2nd...

Earl Thomas is the closest thing to Eric Berry as you can get in terms of ball skills and coverage IMO....I mentioned that months ago in the Taylor Mays/Eric Berry thread...

In terms of open field tackling...he's terrific....but you don't want him mixing it up at the LOS trying to make tackles....he's a pure free safety...

His range, change of direction, burst, ball skills, and closing speed is truely rare.....he also lines up in the slot like a CB and covers slot receivers....

Thomas' 24 passes defended ranks first nationally....his 8 INT's ranks second nationally (also a Texas school record)....and his 2 INT returns for touchdowns is tied with only 7 other players....with one of those being over 90+ yards...

If he declares...he's the 2nd rated safety in the draft IMO....he's probably the best DB of the Mack Brown era at Texas....which is saying something...

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Sean Smith as a tackler...

This is the perfect guy Miami needs at FS IMO.....and snagging him in the 2nd round is pure theft....all he needs is a little time to add a few more pounds to his frame...

Earl Thomas is the closest thing to Eric Berry as you can get in terms of ball skills and coverage IMO....I mentioned that months ago in the Taylor Mays/Eric Berry thread...

In terms of open field tackling...he's terrific....but you don't want him mixing it up at the LOS trying to make tackles....he's a pure free safety...

His range, change of direction, burst, ball skills, and closing speed is truely rare.....he also lines up in the slot like a CB and covers slot receivers....

Thomas' 24 passes defended ranks first nationally....his 8 INT's ranks second nationally (also a Texas school record)....and his 2 INT returns for touchdowns is tied with only 7 other players....with one of those being over 90+ yards...

If he declares...he's the 2nd rated safety in the draft IMO....he's probably the best DB of the Mack Brown era at Texas....which is saying something...

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Sean Smith as a tackler...

This is the perfect guy Miami needs at FS IMO.....and snagging him in the 2nd round is pure theft....all he needs is a little time to add a few more pounds to his frame...

agreed on all accounts. he is the definition of pure cover safety. amazing instincts, hands, and ball skills. tracks it down and goes and gets it. and he still has massive room for improvement and growth due to the fact that he's only a sophomore - quite an impressive 20 year old if you ask me.

i had him in my early mock and man i hope he declares. i have a gut feeling that he'll be the 3rd safety taken - due to how some teams (raiders) will flip over mays' combine numbers. when was the last time 3 safeties went in the 1st round? safety is the least prioritized position on defense and i think there's a good chance of him falling into our lap. i am firm in wanting spikes/mcclain in the 1st and thomas in the 2nd.

Yeah I think teams prefer "sure things" at safety if they're going to use a 1st round pick on one.....and they prefer to use them on safety prospects with the prototype triangle numbers and sorts...blah blah..

Thomas is a better version of Brandon Merriweather IMO...and I suspect he'll come off the board somewhere in the range that Merriweather did (late 1st - early 2nd)...

He says he's 50-50 right now on declaring and wants to wait until after the championship game to make his decision...

I know one thing.....ol' Greggy and Julio better know where this kid is at ALL times because he can make you pay dearly for one little slip up...

lol...easy there slimm...i didn't say he was sean smith as a tackler...i just said that we couldn't afford another sean smith like tackler in our secondary at free safety

Back
Top Bottom