Todd McShay's Mock Draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todd McShay's Mock Draft

Nate Allen is pretty damn inconsistent is what he is. I've been watching the guy in person at Ray Jay stadium for years.

i like him in coverage. that's what we need and i don't necessarily like any of the cover FS's coming out in FA this year. i place HUGE emphasis on that position this coming draft. it worries me how little playing time clemons is getting when wilson has clearly been terrible. and culver is a picture of inconsistency.

this draft also has a ton of talent at the safety position. i think we might very well luck out and have a chance in thomas in the 2nd. that would be ideal.

Johnson tackles better than McClain and Spikes. He's faster than Spikes. He's solid in coverage and makes big plays. And, he's a better athlete than either - though, not as big as McClain.

These are all observations based on a limited amount of footage on Johnson, but I think he's being sold short because the other players come from real "football schools."

don't get me wrong, i like johnson, but he doesn't compare to spikes or mcclain in any of those categories. the things that worries me about him is with the limited talent on that defense, johnson never jumped off the screen at me. even with the insane talent on defense at florida and alabama, spikes and mcclain flew out at me. both of them would consistently had those 'wow' factor plays.

i do like his consistency against the run and pass though. he seems very comfortable doing both. but he's not the best at getting to the quarterback and fighting through blocks - and having an ILB that can do that next year is extremely important IMO. he also lacks quite a bit of intensity when you compare him to a psycho like spikes.

i like him in coverage. that's what we need and i don't necessarily like any of the cover FS's coming out in FA this year. i place HUGE emphasis on that position this coming draft. it worries me how little playing time clemons is getting when wilson has clearly been terrible. and culver is a picture of inconsistency.

this draft also has a ton of talent at the safety position. i think we might very well luck out and have a chance in thomas in the 2nd. that would be ideal.

Gibril Wilson is the picture of inconsistency, not Tyrone Culver, if you ask me. I think Culver has been pretty consistent this year. He's another Yeremiah Bell, except back when Bell was a little younger.

The thing about drawing conclusions off Clemons' inactivity is, they paid Gibril Wilson a LOT of money. They're going to give him every opportunity to turn that light bulb on and finally start playing well within this system. They're not going to keep a $5 million a year player on a hair trigger. How long did it take before they finally cut ties with Ernest Wilford?

Honestly IMO Culver should be starting somewhere in this secondary.

These are all observations based on a limited amount of footage on Johnson, but I think he's being sold short because the other players come from real "football schools."

Kentucky is in the SEC. It doesn't get more "real football" than that.

Micah Johnson is being knocked because he's pretty slow.

Gibril Wilson is the picture of inconsistency, not Tyrone Culver, if you ask me. I think Culver has been pretty consistent this year. He's another Yeremiah Bell, except back when Bell was a little younger.

The thing about drawing conclusions off Clemons' inactivity is, they paid Gibril Wilson a LOT of money. They're going to give him every opportunity to turn that light bulb on and finally start playing well within this system. They're not going to keep a $5 million a year player on a hair trigger. How long did it take before they finally cut ties with Ernest Wilford?

Honestly IMO Culver should be starting somewhere in this secondary.

wilson ... don't even mention that name in my presence. i am so over giving him any more time for the light to turn on. the guys been playing FS in the NFL long enough - and it's not like he's in a complicated scheme - he just needs to be gone. the quicker the better. but i do agree he's still in there b/c of what he's making - which is not smart when you have a draft to think about and an unknown commodity on your roster.

you are much higher on culver than me. but i can always forgive his inconsistency due to his age and inexperience - much like i can with davis and smith.

I just don't know where this inconsistency label is coming from, is all I'm saying. He seems pretty consistent to me. None of his games really stand out from a coverage standpoint. Heck if you look at his PFF ratings from game to game, they're the model of consistency.

who was the last offensive player Bill Parcells took in the first round thats why I dont think its going to happen

Kentucky is in the SEC. It doesn't get more "real football" than that.

Micah Johnson is being knocked because he's pretty slow.

Again, I've only seen limited footage, but he looks every bit as fast as Spikes. I don't know how he'll time out, but I see a good deal of strength and explosion when I watch him play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc7RoALOZfM

That doesn't look like a slow ILB - to me, anyway.

I didn't say the dude is a bad player, just not a fast one. Even in that highlight vid you can see several instances of his being outrun laterally. Usually for every highlight vid, there's plenty of lowlights not seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07yQOIMCUM

That's what Anthony Dixon did to Micah Johnson and the Kentucky defense.

i saw that kentucky miss st game also and from my view point micah johnson looked dinged up...in fact just about every game i've seen of his he was dinged up...

i'd like to get my hands on that 16 tackle performance of his vs tennessee though

i don't think culver is inconsistent at all...i like culver

regarding trading merling i talked it over with slimm and as he stated no way right now merlings beating out either langford or starks for a starting end role...he's essentially almost in the same boat as mcdaniels in that he's depth and more of a nickle pass rush guy and that mcdaniel could probably play nose in a pinch...

we have lionel dotson who we keep on this 53 and i have heard on numerous occasions how impressed the regime is with his pass rush skills so why not plug dotson into the end rotation and see what you can get for merling in trade???

we also have ryan baker who when i have got to see him in game reps has looked pretty solid...

simply stated i think we have excellent depth and talent at end why not try to shore up another position by trading a depth player who has value??? heck a 2nd rounder i say where do i sign right now...

we all know this draft is gonna be loaded with underclassmen coming out to avoid a possible rookie cap in the next cba so we could get a 2nd round talent like merling at a position of need in the 3rd round with a pick acquired for merling

Anthony Dixon is a straight up beast....I think there's 2 or 3 of us here that have no problem agreeing on that...

However, I mentioned previously how impressive Dixon's performance against Kentucy was to watch....but Micah Johnson was playing hurt...

He's been playing hurt virtually most of the season....and still accumulated 100 tackles...

Johnson's performance against Tennessee was probably his best all season....and he was playing hurt in that game too...

I think he compares favorably to Spikes...except you wont see Johnson over pursue as much and take himself out of the play...

I didn't say the dude is a bad player, just not a fast one. Even in that highlight vid you can see several instances of his being outrun laterally. Usually for every highlight vid, there's plenty of lowlights not seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07yQOIMCUM

That's what Anthony Dixon did to Micah Johnson and the Kentucky defense.

I didn't mean to imply that you said he's bad. And, I know he's not a Pat Willis, but I don't think McClain or Spikes are either.

Would you rather draft a J. Hughes, A. Benn, D. Williams (etc.) in the 1st and Micah Johnson in the 2nd or 3rd, or Spikes in the 1st and an OLB, WR, or NT in the 2nd or 3rd? To me, it seems you get a better value going after Johnson - especially if he falls to the 3rd - and drafting Hughes in the 1st. I'm not saying that Johnson is better than McClain or Spikes - just that I don't see the drop off to be great enough to warrant drafting them a round or two earlier.

Also, in the highlight clip, O-linemen were consistently getting to the 2nd level, and Johnson did a good job on a couple of those clips in fighting them off and still making the tackle.

the questions i and a couple others have had about earl thomas are his tackling...as in how sure of a tackler is he...cause we can't have another sean smith at free safety...lol

if thomas checks out fine as a tackler and i haven't watched much of him yet i would say from what i do know it's a grand larceny to get him in the mid 2nd...

Back
Top Bottom