Tom Brady To Announce His Retirement | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tom Brady To Announce His Retirement

You are just trying to cheer Josh up, aren't you? - LOL
No. He is the backup will be the starter if he does indeed retire. If it does happen, Arians is retiring too. He will not want to coach Josh Rosen and go 4-13.

The Patriots were 22-27 and finished 4th once and 5th twice in the AFC East the 3 years before Brady became their starting QB. The first year he became the starter, the Patriots won the SB.

Because I am a Dolphin fan, I always hated the fact Brady played for the Patriots but that doesn’t take away from the fact he is the GOAT. The fact he left the Patriots and and went to Tampa and led the Bucs to a win in the SB shows how great he is.

Even during this past season, he was the 2nd rated QB in the NFL, behind only Aaron Rogers and in front of Allen and Mahomes.
‘Brady has played at a higher level for a longer period of time than any QB in NFL history.

Marino played in the league for 17 years. Taking away the one year he was injured and missed the majority of the season, he had 11 very good to great seasons, while his last 4 seasons were very average.

I loved watching Marino play with the Dolphins but while he had a great arm, Brady has clearly shown over his time in the NFL that he was better than Marino or any other QB in NFL history. I believe if he had been the Dolphin QB during the years Marino was in Miami, the Dolphins would have won a SB during those years.
Hey I respect your take but Brady also played in an era much easier on the QB than some of the other guys I mentioned. Montana goes to 10 SBs if he played for NE instead of Brady. Brady did play at a high level longer than anyone at the position, however we are going to see that happen with others given how much safer it is for QBs these days. Going to the Bucs - a loaded team - is not quite that impressive.

I still think Montana was better and though I never saw Graham play, I’ll take Montana’s word for it that he was the greatest ever.

Circumstances have a lot to do with this. What if Brady went to the Pats in 1983? He’d have no titles - those AFC teams couldn’t match up to the bigger, more physical NFC teams hence why they won all the SBs from 1980-1998 sans the ‘81 and ‘83 raiders.

Marino was a transformational talent. Brady was not. Was he great? Yes. But could he carry a team and be “the system” vs the product of a system? I’ll never believe that - he just didn’t have any singular skill set to make me believe that.

He's bailing, going out nearly on top.

He can see the writing on the wall and neither wants to detract from his legacy nor tarnish his brand.

If making out with your children doesn't detract from your legacy nor tarnish your brand, I'd hate to see what actual does...

We will never witness another QB win 7 super bowls in our lifetime. We have witnessed sports history and I'm not mad about that. I used to not like Brady but man somehow the guy with little athletic ability and an arm that didn't wow you became the best ever**. He has earned his place in the Mount Rushmore of sports icons along with Jordan, Ruth, Gretzky.

**By cheating.

The Patriots were 22-27 and finished 4th once and 5th twice in the AFC East the 3 years before Brady became their starting QB. The first year he became the starter, the Patriots won the SB.

Because I am a Dolphin fan, I always hated the fact Brady played for the Patriots but that doesn’t take away from the fact he is the GOAT. The fact he left the Patriots and and went to Tampa and led the Bucs to a win in the SB shows how great he is.

Even during this past season, he was the 2nd rated QB in the NFL, behind only Aaron Rogers and in front of Allen and Mahomes.
‘Brady has played at a higher level for a longer period of time than any QB in NFL history.

Marino played in the league for 17 years. Taking away the one year he was injured and missed the majority of the season, he had 11 very good to great seasons, while his last 4 seasons were very average.

I loved watching Marino play with the Dolphins but while he had a great arm, Brady has clearly shown over his time in the NFL that he was better than Marino or any other QB in NFL history. I believe if he had been the Dolphin QB during the years Marino was in Miami, the Dolphins would have won a SB during those years.
Sorry, it seems your infatuation with Brady is based off of media hype.

First, wins are TEAM accomplishments.

The first year he became a starter and won the Super Bowl was because of defense and special teams. He was VERY below average that year. And in the post season, in 3 games, he was responsible for....drum roll...1 TD. In the "Tuck Rule" game he had a 70 passer rating with no TD's and 1 INT. In the Super Bowl Warner more than doubled Brady's passing yards. That post season he had a total of 572 yards passing with 1 TD and 1 INT. That's an average of 190 yards passing, .333 TD's and .333INT's per game.

Throughout Brady's career we see him playing on teams with some legendary defenses. If you look at the Patriots' defenses while Brady was there you'd see that in 19 seasons (18 with Brady at QB) the Patriots had a top 10 defense in all but 3. In those 3 seasons (all of which Brady was playing) the Patriots failed to make the playoffs (17th ranked defense), lost in the divisional round (17th ranked defense), and lost the Super Bowl (13th ranked defense). The Patriots, with Brady at QB, won Super Bowls with the 6th, 1st, 2nd, 8th, 1st, and 7th ranked defenses. Even so, in 4 of the Patriot's SB wins with Brady at QB were won by only 3 points. The 2 that were not was the Falcons game and Seattle game.

As for "leading" the Bucs to the Super Bowl. Wrong again. The year before Brady arrived in Tampa the Bucs had the leagues 3rd ranked offense with Jameis Winston at QB. Their defense, however, was like 30th. When Brady got there, their offense was ranked....3rd. Their defense, however, jumped up to 8th. Once again we see defense carrying a Brady QB'd team. This year the Bucs defense dropped to 13th and guess what? Just like in the past, Brady fails to win with a defense ranked out of the top 10.

The first year he became a starter and won the Super Bowl was because of defense and special teams. He was VERY below average that year. And in the post season, in 3 games, he was responsible for....drum roll...1 TD. In the "Tuck Rule" game he had a 70 passer rating with no TD's and 1 INT. In the Super Bowl Warner more than doubled Brady's passing yards. That post season he had a total of 572 yards passing with 1 TD and 1 INT. That's an average of 190 yards passing, .333 TD's and .333INT's per game.

Throughout Brady's career we see him playing on teams with some legendary defenses. If you look at the Patriots' defenses while Brady was there you'd see that in 19 seasons (18 with Brady at QB) the Patriots had a top 10 defense in all but 3. In those 3 seasons (all of which Brady was playing) the Patriots failed to make the playoffs (17th ranked defense), lost in the divisional round (17th ranked defense), and lost the Super Bowl (13th ranked defense). The Patriots, with Brady at QB, won Super Bowls with the 6th, 1st, 2nd, 8th, 1st, and 7th ranked defenses. Even so, in 4 of the Patriot's SB wins with Brady at QB were won by only 3 points. The 2 that were not was the Falcons game and Seattle game.

As for "leading" the Bucs to the Super Bowl. Wrong again. The year before Brady arrived in Tampa the Bucs had the leagues 3rd ranked offense with Jameis Winston at QB. Their defense, however, was like 30th. When Brady got there, their offense was ranked....3rd. Their defense, however, jumped up to 8th. Once again we see defense carrying a Brady QB'd team. This year the Bucs defense dropped to 13th and guess what? Just like in the past, Brady fails to win with a defense ranked out of the top 10.
Tampa's defense wasn't quite that bad the year before Brady arrived. Don't forget Winston threw 30 picks that year, constantly putting the defense in tough spots.

In Brady's 10 Super bowls, his opponents averaged 21 points per game. Meanwhile he averaged a QB rating of 97.9. Those aren't the numbers you'd expect if he was getting carrier to Super bowl wins by legendary defenses.

I think each NFL rule 'era' has to be judged seperately. It is absolutely pointless in comparing today's players against the 70' & 80's guys, it is a completely different game now.

The most important factor to remember is the advances in sports science and nutrition. Brady's career simply would not be as long if he played in the 80's. Today, we will see more players playing at higher level for longer. I am a lover of stats but I just do not look at them now, they are so inflated due to rule changes that average QB's have passed for over 4,000 yards no problem.

if Marino was a generational talent who could win anywhere, why did he uhhhhh never win a super bowl?

exactly.

if Marino was a generational talent who could win anywhere, why did he uhhhhh never win a super bowl?

exactly.
If you were around when he got drafted and his first couple of years you would understand "generational". That term is way over used these days.

I think each NFL rule 'era' has to be judged seperately. It is absolutely pointless in comparing today's players against the 70' & 80's guys, it is a completely different game now.

The most important factor to remember is the advances in sports science and nutrition. Brady's career simply would not be as long if he played in the 80's. Today, we will see more players playing at higher level for longer. I am a lover of stats but I just do not look at them now, they are so inflated due to rule changes that average QB's have passed for over 4,000 yards no problem.
You are right.

It turns out to be very simple.
Do the best you can with what you've got.
Always keep in mind it's a team game!
QB's do not play against other QB's, they play against other team's defenses.
The entire team is controlled by their coaches who are in turn controlled by their front office.

Football is a team sport, more so than any other sport in the world.
Nothing really compares to it except for Rugby and Australian rules football, and neither of those sports use "protective armor".

Also, the Seattle SB was more about the defense intercepting a football from the goal line to win the game. Seattle outplayed NE that day even with Sherman playing on a dislocated elbow, Thomas on a separated shoulder, Chancelor on a torn ACL - an injury he sustained in the final walk through the day before the game and Jeremy Lane breaking his arm after picking off Brady in his EZ and running it out then getting cheap shot by Edelman way out of bounds. The entire Legion of Boom should not have been playing as they all got injured in the title game or practice leading up to the SB and needed surgery immediately after the game. It’s not talked about how when Lane went out, Brady completed like 90% of his throws against their no 6 or 7 DB who wasn’t even supposed to see the field. And yet it came down to a terrible play call on the 1 to win the game.

exactly.
Must not have seen him play. Barry Sanders was a generational talent and I think he only played in 1 playoff game IIR.

Not sure what your definition of generational is but for me it’s someone who comes in and forces the entire league to adjust because that player is so dominant they can’t stop them. In Marino’s case the zone defense had to be completely rethought because it couldn’t react fast enough to his timing throws. They had to rethink what double coverage meant as he (still to this day) was the only QB who could beat you on a fly pattern where the WR is covered step for step w the CB who has a S coming over. The way that ball led the WR w no arc could beat that coverage with regularity. As Don Shula said, “the thing about Marino that made hi. so special was that he could put the ball into spaces that no one else could” or hasn’t been able to since.

Tampa's defense wasn't quite that bad the year before Brady arrived. Don't forget Winston threw 30 picks that year, constantly putting the defense in tough spots.

In Brady's 10 Super bowls, his opponents averaged 21 points per game. Meanwhile he averaged a QB rating of 97.9. Those aren't the numbers you'd expect if he was getting carrier to Super bowl wins by legendary defenses.
The Bucs defense was horrible for the preceding 9 years before Brady got there. They were ranked 29, 31, 22, 15, 26, 25, 21, 23, 32 the previous 9 seasons before Brady got there with 4 different QB's. And even with Winston throwing 30 INT's that offense was ranked 3rd. Brady knew the situation in Tampa and that's why he chose them.

I already showed the proof that defenses carried Brady. Sure, we can look at one game and cherry pick in order to make that not true, but cherry picking isn't going to allow us to see the entire picture. If it weren't for the defenses being great they never get to the SB to begin with. For example: Last year, against GB in the NFCCG, Brady had 3 INT's with a 73 passer rating and yet they won. In 2018, Brady had back-to-back post season games with sub-80 passer ratings (77 and 71) where he threw only 1 TD against 3 INT's in those 2 games...and yet they won the AFCCG and SB that year. In the seasons where the Pats were beaten by the Giants in two SB's, Brady had a 66 and 57 passer rating in the AFCCG's. And yet the Pats won both games. In 2005, Brady had a 56 passer rating in the Divisional round of the playoffs and yet the Pats still won where they would eventually lose to the Colts in the AFCCG with Brady having another stinker of a game with a 79 passer rating. Hell, in Brady's first 6 postseason games he failed to post a passer rating over 85 in 5 of those games with 3 being under 75.

Brady is extraordinary only because of his longevity. Something that is possible today due to rule changes that protect QB's. I do give Brady credit in that he's 100% ignored everything around him, except football, for 22 years in order to stay driven for so long. Although I think his kids and wife aren't too happy playing second fiddle for so long.

The Bucs defense was horrible for the preceding 9 years before Brady got there. They were ranked 29, 31, 22, 15, 26, 25, 21, 23, 32 the previous 9 seasons before Brady got there with 4 different QB's. And even with Winston throwing 30 INT's that offense was ranked 3rd. Brady knew the situation in Tampa and that's why he chose them.

I already showed the proof that defenses carried Brady. Sure, we can look at one game and cherry pick in order to make that not true, but cherry picking isn't going to allow us to see the entire picture. If it weren't for the defenses being great they never get to the SB to begin with. For example: Last year, against GB in the NFCCG, Brady had 3 INT's with a 73 passer rating and yet they won. In 2018, Brady had back-to-back post season games with sub-80 passer ratings (77 and 71) where he threw only 1 TD against 3 INT's in those 2 games...and yet they won the AFCCG and SB that year. In the seasons where the Pats were beaten by the Giants in two SB's, Brady had a 66 and 57 passer rating in the AFCCG's. And yet the Pats won both games. In 2005, Brady had a 56 passer rating in the Divisional round of the playoffs and yet the Pats still won where they would eventually lose to the Colts in the AFCCG with Brady having another stinker of a game with a 79 passer rating. Hell, in Brady's first 6 postseason games he failed to post a passer rating over 85 in 5 of those games with 3 being under 75.

Brady is extraordinary only because of his longevity. Something that is possible today due to rule changes that protect QB's. I do give Brady credit in that he's 100% ignored everything around him, except football, for 22 years in order to stay driven for so long. Although I think his kids and wife aren't too happy playing second fiddle for so long.
Great post re the stats. They don’t lie. As much as everyone got seduced by last weeks chiefs - bills game, defense still wins championships. Last years SB was a great example. And this is not a knock on Brady but the TB defense held Mahomes to 3 FGs. They never even threatened to score a TD. Josh Rosen could have QBd that game and they win. It was actually the easiest SB win of Brady’s 7 and the only blowout. Also the only game where he didn’t even have to break a sweat. The TB defense as a whole should have won MVP for being the only team to keep Mahomes out of the EZ. You need a good offense to get to the playoffs but your D will win you the SB.

PS - when the Pats beat the Rams they kept the greatest show on turf part 2 w McVay and Goff to 3 points when that team was scoring 30+ on everyone that year. NE only scored 13 themselves as it was a defensive battle w two great D’s shutting down the O’s.

The old fart is making a public announcement tonight to clarify the BS that was spewed on Saturday. If we get definitive from the true source, then and only then we will start to believe. But, I will bet you he says nothing regarding his alleged retirement.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/tom-brady-set-to-make-first-public-comments-monday-night

UPDATE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ght-comments/ar-AATlaj5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

He said, “I’m still going through the process. … When the time is right, I’ll be ready to make a decision,” Brady told Jim Gray on his “Let’s Go” podcast, per NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.

Those idiots at ESPN jumped the gun. He will do exactly as Big Ben did when he retires have his family there to announce it. So, we wait........

UPDATE to UPDATE:
https://www.nfl.com/news/tom-brady-officially-announces-retirement-from-nfl-after-22-seasons

Well damn that did not take long. So long Tommy you cheating prick and good riddance!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom