Too early to panic, but we can certainly be alarmed after Eagles blitz Dolphins’ D | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Too early to panic, but we can certainly be alarmed after Eagles blitz Dolphins’ D

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
fins(2)

Jay Cutler to DeVante Parker is going to cover up a lot of Dolphins flaws this year.
(They did just that on Thursday, connecting for 72 yards on a jump ball to jump-start a sluggish Dolphins offense.)
But will they be enough to mask a Dolphins defense that wasn’t just lost against the Eagles Thursday night, but exposed the entire week?
It’s hard to say which moment was the most troublesome in preseason game No. 3 — a 38-31 loss to the Eagles:

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article169261162.html#storylink=cpy

I don't remember the guy around here who has continually and consistently lambasted our defensive scheme, but I'd like to shake his hand. Guess that dude might actually know what he has been ranting about.

If we lose a game or the season this year, it wont be because of the offense or defensive front 7... It will all be on the secondary

If we lose a game or the season this year, it wont be because of the offense of defensive front 7... It will all be on the secondary

If the pass rush can't get home then it exposes the back 7. We'll have issues all up and down this defense.

If the pass rush can't get home then it exposes the back 7. We'll have issues all up and down this defense.

And that will happen often when teams go tempo/no-huddle. Slows down the rush and exposes the secondary for what it is.

Brady will have two more easy games against our D. Just have to hope the offense can out-score them, which is unlikely.

I kinda disagree... The front 7 will do decent against the run... not the best and not the worst, but extremely respectable... They will also get pressure on the QB and will, at minimum, get the QB to have happy feet... But you can not expect them to put pressure on the passing game every single down... Thats where the secondary needs to step up, but we play way too soft and will allow those 3rd down conversions that will keep the wrong team on the field...

I dont know if its scheme or talent, but we need to play tighter and bump the receivers coming off the line.. anything we can to disrupt their timing.. if not, they will eat big again this year

I don't remember the guy around here who has continually and consistently lambasted our defensive scheme, but I'd like to shake his hand. Guess that dude might actually know what he has been ranting about.
:rolleyes:..I guess asking you to try and be humble about it is out of the realm of possibility huh.

I kinda disagree... The front 7 will do decent against the run... not the best and not the worst, but extremely respectable... They will also get pressure on the QB and will, at minimum, get the QB to have happy feet... But you can not expect them to put pressure on the passing game every single down... Thats where the secondary needs to step up, but we play way too soft and will allow those 3rd down conversions that will keep the wrong team on the field...

I dont know if its scheme or talent, but we need to play tighter and bump the receivers coming off the line.. anything we can to disrupt their timing.. if not, they will eat big again this year

That's our front 4's only job and first read - pass rush.

As far as playing press coverage it has to come via Cover 2 and that means we must be able to stop the run first with our front 7. But again, our DL's first read is pass rush then react to the run, so that the run responsibility in our scheme falls heavily on the LB unit. So when they struggle (and they will struggle in this scheme) we have to bring Jones into the box to help vs the run and that in turn takes press coverage off the table b/c we don't have a FS with S2S range to make up for any mistakes made by the CBs and/or when a WR is able to restack them.

Back
Top Bottom