Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham

alright i can see that...and if there was no outright position switch here i wouldn't even question it...

i know i'm sold on him as an olb...and much more so than derrick morgan...

if he doesn't pull a hammy at the combine these questions are probably all answered...the workout #s support the ability to switch to olb also...

Wow, I just posted this big thing about how Graham's 4.25 shuttle is the most impressive number and it got deleted.

Suffice it to say that there were 9 LBs drafted that had shuttles of 4.25 or below. They werre Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Kaluka Maiava, Brad Jones, Nic Harris, Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman.

That list not only includes the best rookie LBs in the league, but among them the only two players that did not start games in 2009 were Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman. And though Dannell Ellerbe was undrafted, he played like 600 snaps for the Baltimore Ravens this year at linebacker, and he's another one with under a 4.25 in the shuttle.

Pat Kirwan wrote an article about the shuttle last year. He pointed out that for linebackers, the shuttle time is supposed to be king. Belichick is a big believer in it. It measures lateral quickness and quick movement in a smaller space, which is a linebacker's game. Kirwan mentioned that guys with under a 4.25 in the shuttle are considered to have an ideal measurement there.

The fact that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham fits in that group, is nothing less than an excellent sign for his transition. I can buy the position switch argument relative to a guy as talented as Dez Bryant...or C.J. Spiller, or Eric Berry. After that, the position switch argument deteriorates for me.

Wow, I just posted this big thing about how Graham's 4.25 shuttle is the most impressive number and it got deleted.

Suffice it to say that there were 9 LBs drafted that had shuttles of 4.25 or below. They werre Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Kaluka Maiava, Brad Jones, Nic Harris, Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman.

That list not only includes the best rookie LBs in the league, but among them the only two players that did not start games in 2009 were Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman. And though Dannell Ellerbe was undrafted, he played like 600 snaps for the Baltimore Ravens this year at linebacker, and he's another one with under a 4.25 in the shuttle.

Pat Kirwan wrote an article about the shuttle last year. He pointed out that for linebackers, the shuttle time is supposed to be king. Belichick is a big believer in it. It measures lateral quickness and quick movement in a smaller space, which is a linebacker's game. Kirwan mentioned that guys with under a 4.25 in the shuttle are considered to have an ideal measurement there.

The fact that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham fits in that group, is nothing less than an excellent sign for his transition. I can buy the position switch argument relative to a guy as talented as Dez Bryant...or C.J. Spiller, or Eric Berry. After that, the position switch argument deteriorates for me.

Not only that....but Nic Harris wasn't even a LB in college....he was a safety...

...a 268 pound DE churning out relatively the same shuttle times as a safety/linebacker convert is a loud and clear....HELLO!!!

alright i can see that...and if there was no outright position switch here i wouldn't even question it...

if he doesn't pull a hammy at the combine these questions are probably all answered...the workout #s support the ability to switch to olb also...

How about comparing his numbers to Alex Daniels.
Daniels is 6'2" 265 36.5 vertical 10'09" broad jump 7.08 3-cone 31 reps
The 10'09" broad jump must be close to a record for a guy 265. I've never seen a big guy go that far.

Again, my point being; there is plenty of talent in later rounds.

It just doesn't make sense to spend the number 12 on a guy who may or may not end up getting out played by a 4th or a even a 6th rounder in the NFL.

Daniels gifts and talent cannot be denied and not only that he is kid with a strong faith and a great academic background. Projecting I guess 5th-7th because he played RB his first two years and then transferred schools and moved to DE, but only started one season and had 8.5 sacks.

1. Combine type measurements are no substitution for showing talent on the football field. They're merely a vindication of that talent on the tape, or a flag to go re-watch the tape so that you can identify things that you might not have seen before.

2. You say "a guy who may or may not end up getting out played by a 4th or even a 6th rounder in the NFL". Based on what? You've laid out zero justification for that statement. Why is Brandon Graham more likely to get out played by a late rounder than any other first round prospect?

i am fearing that ross is going to tell bp to draft this kid because of the donation that would really piss me off, because that is what jerry jones is and we do not need that

7.01 cone...very good indeed

i just don't see the harm in bringing the kid in to the facility and working him out specifically in lb drills...

trying to hide intention??? maybe but i would think it would be more in the event we trade down to not show we have any interest...but at the same time can you really even trade down 3 spots and feel confident that brandon graham makes it to you??? i wouldn't be confident of that...

so why not bring him in who cares if people think you like him and work him out??? it's not like he's a secret around the league...

For one thing I think they could be trying to fake out Jerry Jones with respect to Earl Thomas. Jones covets Thomas and Berry, won't have a crack at either but is thinking about a trade up for one of those two. He knows it will cost him but he wants a ball hawk like Earl pretty badly and Miami is a natural trading partner for the Cowboys.

If you start fawning over every linebacker out there, especially the one that most teams consider to be the best OLB prospect in the draft (yes, better than Derrick Morgan on most teams' draft boards), then that Earl Thomas fake out doesn't look all that believable...and suddenly Jerry Jones is talking to a team below #12 about trading up for Earl.

The moment they paid any amount of attention to Brandon Graham, mock drafts sending him to Miami would light up like a Christmas tree. The same is true of Dan Williams. Both of these guys are the players that people WANT to mock to Miami based on position need, fit and value.

Also, there's a decent chance that Jacksonville could take Graham at #10. They are the highest picking team that I've seen paying attention to Graham. If this is the guy you want, you don't want to show interest in him and make them think that their valuing the guy at #10 overall is not out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately in the draft I think you rarely get the player you REALLY want unless you're picking very high. So I think the general rule is just to NOT show people who you really want. There's no benefit to it. If you miss that guy then you've got disappointment from the fans and media, a perception you were forced to 'settle'. Meanwhile if you really do clue everyone in on who you really want then someone else that really wants the guy could trade ahead of you, or you could make it more likely that a team ahead of you goes ahead and takes him, feeling more confident in his valuation or thinking they couldn't trade back and still get him.

I think it's just a general rule, not really worth overthinking about.

one more thing...i would think off of what i saw even on those youtube highlights of graham working out for the combine that his cone drill would be good...

as we've already stated guy stays well balanced his feet underneath him at all times so i would think he'd be able to round those cones tight and explode off of them...indicative of that very good # for a 268 lb guy

For one thing I think they could be trying to fake out Jerry Jones with respect to Earl Thomas. Jones covets Thomas and Berry, won't have a crack at either but is thinking about a trade up for one of those two. He knows it will cost him but he wants a ball hawk like Earl pretty badly and Miami is a natural trading partner for the Cowboys.

If you start fawning over every linebacker out there, especially the one that most teams consider to be the best OLB prospect in the draft (yes, better than Derrick Morgan on most teams' draft boards), then that Earl Thomas fake out doesn't look all that believable...and suddenly Jerry Jones is talking to a team below #12 about trading up for Earl.

The moment they paid any amount of attention to Brandon Graham, mock drafts sending him to Miami would light up like a Christmas tree. The same is true of Dan Williams. Both of these guys are the players that people WANT to mock to Miami based on position need, fit and value.

Also, there's a decent chance that Jacksonville could take Graham at #10. They are the highest picking team that I've seen paying attention to Graham. If this is the guy you want, you don't want to show interest in him and make them think that their valuing the guy at #10 overall is not out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately in the draft I think you rarely get the player you REALLY want unless you're picking very high. So I think the general rule is just to NOT show people who you really want. There's no benefit to it. If you miss that guy then you've got disappointment from the fans and media, a perception you were forced to 'settle'. Meanwhile if you really do clue everyone in on who you really want then someone else that really wants the guy could trade ahead of you, or you could make it more likely that a team ahead of you goes ahead and takes him, feeling more confident in his valuation or thinking they couldn't trade back and still get him.

I think it's just a general rule, not really worth overthinking about.

Back
Top Bottom