Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham

Aren't his arms too small for Parcells? Not sure if it is him or not.

Personally I think this whole thing going on with Jason Taylor and the Jets is a charade and Taylor will be back with us. They could very well decide that the OLB position will be fine with a combination of Cameron Wake, Jason Taylor, and some draft picks. Maybe throw in a Quentin Moses. I have more faith in Moses than Anderson based on the videos I created.

The FO is not going to tip their hand, as much as it upsets:boohoo: some here.

But CK, I do LOVE that scenario you posted a few days ago.:err:

the one where Taylor played the Patsies last year.:lol:

They never promised him anything in 2009. He ended up a full time starter because of the problem with Matt Roth. Just worked out that way.

Something I've been thinking is, we can't count on Cam Wake being the full time WOLB. Nor should he be rushing from the right side on pass downs. He has to prove it first. If you re-hire Jason Taylor and have him play at a comfortable weight for him, instead of having him beef up like they did in 2009...and you play him back on the right side where he's always been more comfortable, I think you may have a decent WOLB on your hands. So if Cameron Wake can't translate his monstrous strength and athleticism as a SOLB in the 3-4, then you can always get a limited player that could be counted on to do that. You'd still have a combo of Taylor and Wake on pass rush downs.

Greg Hardy in the 3rd round...if they're finally open to the idea of grabbing talented guys with character issues and using a strong locker room and disciplinarian staff to keep them straight...you don't get much more talented than Hardy. He has everything they look for in a convert. He's huge at 6'4" and 281 lbs. He's explosive, showed off a 35" vertical and 10'0" broad jump at that size. He has a basketball background. He has natural ball skills, even played WR for Ole Miss and caught 3 TDs. He can move, is smooth. He's actually too heavy, you'd want him to lose weight down to about 265 I should think, get him faster.

Speaking of faster. I was having an argument with Richard a while ago about transition and the times of people between their 20 yard split and their 40 yard split. It's sort of an estimate of how fast you are at your fastest. I did those times for everyone that weighed between 225 and 290 lbs at the Combine. Guys that weighed between 265 and 290 lbs averaged 2.08 seconds. Hardy's was 1.98 seconds. The only one of the 14 players in that weight range that did better was Everson Griffen at 1.97 seconds, and he weighed 8 lbs less than Hardy. At his Pro Day, Hardy went on to flash a 1.95 second split in this measure. At the Combine, the only players that weighed 225 lbs or more that flashed better top speed were Dorin Dickerson and Taylor Mays at 1.85 seconds, Ed Dickson at 1.90 seconds, Anthony Dixon, Jimmy Graham and Clay Harbor at 1.92 seconds, and Toby Gerhart at 1.94 seconds. Jonathan Dwyer and Roddrick Muckelroy tied at 1.95 seconds.

To me that kind of top speed while getting off the blocks slow indicates you're a little too heavy, and that you're not a very polished track star.

And we don't even have very good word on whether they were at his pro day or not, either. Armando implied it but didn't really say it. Could be him just being him.

I would love C.J. Spiller. Top 6 talent in this draft, same as Dez Bryant. But we'd have to do something with Ronnie Brown. Maybe get that 2nd rounder back in a trade with San Diego? That would be nice. They could look at the OLB position with 2nd and 3rd round picks, doubling up as they're accustomed, grab two guys like Koa Misi and Thaddeus Gibson.

And in light of the Brandon Marshall trade, I'll be god damned if I can figure a valid reason to ignore Greg Hardy in the 3rd round.

Also, Ronnie Brown's contract situation and injury history could make Spiller a more realistic possibility than one might think on the surface.

I do think JT returns.

ck, in your mike nolan defense where would you see austin spitzer (sp???) fitting???

cause that guy seems like he's already on the roster...

also...i've seen zero tape of his...what does he bring to the table to you short and long term???

He's interesting. Watch him play for any extended period and you'd swear you're watching A.J. Edds. He's not as tall but he looks big on the field, like Edds. He has excellent footwork like Edds and he can really move around. He played a position for the Buckeyes that was basically the equivalent of SOLB in a 3-4. He was on the line. He rushed the passer. He fought Tight Ends, set the edge, etc. He was a backup LB to James Laurinaitis for a long time. Seems very smart on the field, a team captain despite his lack of playing time. He moves clean, between his upper and lower body. As I watched a good bit of him I couldn't help but chalk it up to this front office for finding a guy that basically never played, and yet he's as good as much more heralded players.

I think he'd have to kick inside in our scheme. Can't really rush the passer very well at all, not sure I'd trust him out on the edge in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know they didn't promise taylor anything in 09 but taylor said after the season that if he returned he didn't want to be taken off the field on pass downs...i guess like he was last year some so wake could play...of course losing porter should help that...provided we don't bring in an olb that should be on the field on all pass downs...

cause cam wake HAS TO BE on the field on pass downs...and over anyone else currently on the roster...got to be...let that kid hunt

Taylor also admitted that the reality of the situation was such that he knows he can't play every snap anymore and I think he's open how the Dolphins would want to play him. I wouldn't want him off the field on pass downs anyway. I think he and Wake will work well together as a duo.

Cameron Wake still isn't a guy that's going to get to the QB in a whole lot of different ways. A QB can sort of try and predict it, and that's where JT comes in because he can get there however he wants and if he knows what a QB and protection scheme is going to do in response to Wake's rush he is smart enough to take advantage. I remember he used to study Brian Griese and Griese always had this tendency to drop back and then step up a certain distance, Taylor loved it he could just meet him where Griese was going to be. Taylor as a guy that can react and use his head would be really good opposite Wake who is a guy that will use his phenomenal physical ability. And likewise because when Taylor flushes the QB, Wake as a guy that has massive physical ability and running skills can just beat the OLs to where the QB is going.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I think about it, the more I think it would be silly not to bring Taylor back. He can fill a variety of roles for the defense, and any guy we bring in is going to be a convert to 3-4 OLB and might need some time. Taylor can both help with that transition, and play valuable snaps for the team. Our second OLB pick can compete with Moses, Anderson et al for one of the last spots on the roster and develop.

I just feel like Taylor's experience, and still solid skills can help this team.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be silly not to bring Taylor back. He can fill a variety of roles for the defense, and any guy we bring in is going to be a convert to 3-4 OLB and might need some time. Taylor can both help with that transition, and play valuable snaps for the team. Our second OLB pick can compete with Moses, Anderson et al for one of the last spots on the roster and develop.

I just feel like Taylor's experience, and still solid skills can help this team.
I just read in the Herald that Taylor has put his decision on hold. He's going to wait till after the draft and see if Miami has a spot for him before he signs with anybody else.

Personally I think this whole thing going on with Jason Taylor and the Jets is a charade and Taylor will be back with us. They could very well decide that the OLB position will be fine with a combination of Cameron Wake, Jason Taylor, and some draft picks. Maybe throw in a Quentin Moses. I have more faith in Moses than Anderson based on the videos I created.

I tend to think this regime wants a guy who can stop the run, shut off outside and then rush the passer when they see pass. Derrick Morgan is probably that guy and JPP could be as well. JPP is raw in that regard IMO. Morgan is probably all around what they are looking for.

I think they think JT is not sound at stuffing run as they would like and JP was an idiot last year and ignored them and he sucked vs. run. I think they want someone who can do it all. Certainly, Graham can, but they want a little more meat and LOS toughness ala Matt Roth except much better.

For this reason, I do not discount Morgan whatsoever like alot of people here would. I do think he will go earlier however, henceforth, my estimation is Earl Thomas. DE/OLB is deep and they know what they like.

A little bit risky.

One of major weaknesses is our ability to cover tight ends.

If we have Cameron Wake on one side (weak in pass coverage), and Brandon Graham on the other side (DE in college, and a big question mark in pass coverage), tight ends could continue torching us.

I just read in the Herald that Taylor has put his decision on hold. He's going to wait till after the draft and see if Miami has a spot for him before he signs with anybody else.

No matter what you think of some of his decisions (dancing etc), you cannot question that Jason Taylor is a Miami Dolphin through and through.

It is not normal for a professional player to show the loyalty he has shown the Phins, even when they don't always show the same loyalty to him. Not only that, he has left far greater amounts of money on the table elsewhere to play with Miami a couple of times.

A little bit risky.

If we have Cameron Wake on one side (weak in pass coverage), and Brandon Graham on the other side (DE in college, and a big question mark in pass coverage), tight ends could continue torching us.

Part of the beauty of a Mike Nolan defense is that he schemes for this. He puts players in a position to accentuate their strengths in situations where those strengths are needed.

I tend to think this regime wants a guy who can stop the run, shut off outside and then rush the passer when they see pass. Derrick Morgan is probably that guy and JPP could be as well. JPP is raw in that regard IMO. Morgan is probably all around what they are looking for.

I think they think JT is not sound at stuffing run as they would like and JP was an idiot last year and ignored them and he sucked vs. run. I think they want someone who can do it all. Certainly, Graham can, but they want a little more meat and LOS toughness ala Matt Roth except much better.

For this reason, I do not discount Morgan whatsoever like alot of people here would. I do think he will go earlier however, henceforth, my estimation is Earl Thomas. DE/OLB is deep and they know what they like.

From everything I've seen, Graham is stronger and better against the run than Morgan. He's got plenty of meat on the bone, he's 268 lbs and used to play at 285 lbs. He's actually heavier than Derrick Morgan, though shorter, which makes him more stout.

A little bit risky.

I agree it's a risk. But I am not sure that we can pencil Wake in as a starter and so I really believe Miami should look to get Taylor back. One of the reasons that Karlos Dansby is here is because he can take some cover pressure off the OLBs. Plus, hopefully we'd have better safety play.

Back
Top Bottom