Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham

I still think we'd be wise to pick up A J Edds next week.

The guy is one of the best cover LB's available and picked of 5 passes this past season.

Although it seems nobody here wants to talk about him except me...Why is that?

I have seen many people speak of Edds, and most seem to love the idea of taking him or Spitler if one of them is there in the 6th.

Edds wont be there in the 6th...or the 5th....or the 4th....

well it's a chance i'd take...not someone i'd take with pick #74 i know that...and maybe not someone i'd take with #110

and i like him...but i don't like him top 3 rounds by any means

I agree it's a risk. But I am not sure that we can pencil Wake in as a starter and so I really believe Miami should look to get Taylor back. One of the reasons that Karlos Dansby is here is because he can take some cover pressure off the OLBs. Plus, hopefully we'd have better safety play.

i've heard that dansby was more effective as a zone defender in zona than a man cover guy...one thing he does have which none of our ilbs can match is impressive pure speed...guy can really run for his size...

much needed influx of speed on this ilb core...very much needed...also brings the occasional big play to the group...something that crowder and ayodele only did about 1 time a year...

in just about every game i've watched of dansbys at some point he's making a big play...i've yet to see one where he just was a nonfactor...

well it's a chance i'd take...not someone i'd take with pick #74 i know that...and maybe not someone i'd take with #110

and i like him...but i don't like him top 3 rounds by any means

I tend to agree hoos, but man I'd love to have him!

Edds wont be there in the 6th...or the 5th....or the 4th....

Hence the interest in other ILB's. I'd say there is a chance Miami moves up more than once to grab a guy they like in that late 4th to early 6th area. Edds may be a guy they target.

I really like him as a niche cover ILB, and core specials teams player.

Man at 6'1 weighting 263 I got feeling he nees to watch that weight he is not a Brian Cushing.

i've heard that dansby was more effective as a zone defender in zona than a man cover guy...one thing he does have which none of our ilbs can match is impressive pure speed...guy can really run for his size...

much needed influx of speed on this ilb core...very much needed...also brings the occasional big play to the group...something that crowder and ayodele only did about 1 time a year...

in just about every game i've watched of dansbys at some point he's making a big play...i've yet to see one where he just was a nonfactor...

He does both really well. Honestly when I took to the Arizona footage on NFL Rewind after we got him, what I saw of him in coverage made me wonder if he's not the best coverage linebacker in the NFL.

BTW I have some more information on Brandon Graham's Pro Day. What we already know is that the Jaguars and Falcons were two of at least 20 teams that were there, with the Jags sending their DL coach in addition to a scout. We also knew that he stood on his 4.71 time in the 40 from the Combine on the slow Lucas Oil turf, where he also did a superb 31 bench reps after measuring 6013 and 268 lbs with 32.5" arms. We had already heard that at his Pro Day he did DL and LB drills, and then just to show off how well he moves, he participated in DB drills as well.

What we didn't have were agility and explosion numbers but I just got those. His jump numbers were not that great at only 31.5" vertical and 9'3" broad jump. However, he nailed his agility drills with a 4.25 shuttle and 7.01 cone drill. Those numbers are well within ideal linebacker range and at 268 lbs that's pretty damned impressive. Better than Everson Griffen. Way better than Sergio Kindle. On par with Jason Worilds and not quite as good as Jerry Hughes, both of whom were more like 255 lbs (with a gallon of water in them, no doubt).

Overall I don't see knocking him out of contention for LB because he's one inch too short. Nor do I see knocking him out of contention for LB because you don't think he moves well enough. Those are just bad arguments.

BTW I have some more information on Brandon Graham's Pro Day. What we already know is that the Jaguars and Falcons were two of at least 20 teams that were there, with the Jags sending their DL coach in addition to a scout. We also knew that he stood on his 4.71 time in the 40 from the Combine on the slow Lucas Oil turf, where he also did a superb 31 bench reps after measuring 6013 and 268 lbs with 32.5" arms. We had already heard that at his Pro Day he did DL and LB drills, and then just to show off how well he moves, he participated in DB drills as well.

What we didn't have were agility and explosion numbers but I just got those. His jump numbers were not that great at only 31.5" vertical and 9'3" broad jump. However, he nailed his agility drills with a 4.25 shuttle and 7.01 cone drill. Those numbers are well within ideal linebacker range and at 268 lbs that's pretty damned impressive. Better than Everson Griffen. Way better than Sergio Kindle. On par with Jason Worilds and not quite as good as Jerry Hughes, both of whom were more like 255 lbs (with a gallon of water in them, no doubt).

Overall I don't see knocking him out of contention for LB because he's one inch too short. Nor do I see knocking him out of contention for LB because you don't think he moves well enough. Those are just bad arguments.

How about comparing his numbers to Alex Daniels.
Daniels is 6'2" 265 36.5 vertical 10'09" broad jump 7.08 3-cone 31 reps
The 10'09" broad jump must be close to a record for a guy 265. I've never seen a big guy go that far.

Again, my point being; there is plenty of talent in later rounds.

It just doesn't make sense to spend the number 12 on a guy who may or may not end up getting out played by a 4th or a even a 6th rounder in the NFL.

Daniels gifts and talent cannot be denied and not only that he is kid with a strong faith and a great academic background. Projecting I guess 5th-7th because he played RB his first two years and then transferred schools and moved to DE, but only started one season and had 8.5 sacks.

He does both really well. Honestly when I took to the Arizona footage on NFL Rewind after we got him, what I saw of him in coverage made me wonder if he's not the best coverage linebacker in the NFL.

you have a link or was it on tv? I'd love to watch them.

The shuttle number is also excellent for a guy like him. The shuttle is something some coaches target especially in linebackers. I believe Belichick tends to be a big shuttle time guy. The shuttle is all about lateral movement and the ability to move well in tighter spaces. I think I've heard Pat Kirwan talk about it before, and he even labeled 4.25 as a good cutoff time, guys that have a shuttle time below that are deemed to have ideal shuttle times for being a linebacker.

Here is a list of linebackers drafted that had 4.25 shuttle times or better, and what they did this year.

1. Brian Cushing (4.22) - I don't think I need to explain how awesome he was.
2. Clay Matthews (4.18) - Same, he had like 10 sacks as a 3-4 OLB rookie.
3. James Laurinaitis (4.24) - One of the league leaders in total tackles, excellent rookie.
4. Brad Jones (4.21) - Played 404 snaps opposite Matthews, got 19 plays on QB in 201 pass rushes, excellent numbers.
5. Dannell Ellerbe (4.23) - Claimed 595 snaps as a rookie LB.
6. Kaluka Maiava (4.20) - Claimed 470 snaps as a rookie LB.
7. Nic Harris (4.23) - Started a few games for the Bills, got 12 tackles in one of them, promising guy.
8. Spencer Adkins (4.25) - Active for a few Falcons games, mostly just a STs guy.
9. Marcus Freeman (4.12) - Generally a dud for the Bills.

So I take it as promising that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham is testing into that group.

Wow, I just posted this big thing about how Graham's 4.25 shuttle is the most impressive number and it got deleted.

Suffice it to say that there were 9 LBs drafted that had shuttles of 4.25 or below. They werre Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Kaluka Maiava, Brad Jones, Nic Harris, Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman.

That list not only includes the best rookie LBs in the league, but among them the only two players that did not start games in 2009 were Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman. And though Dannell Ellerbe was undrafted, he played like 600 snaps for the Baltimore Ravens this year at linebacker, and he's another one with under a 4.25 in the shuttle.

Pat Kirwan wrote an article about the shuttle last year. He pointed out that for linebackers, the shuttle time is supposed to be king. Belichick is a big believer in it. It measures lateral quickness and quick movement in a smaller space, which is a linebacker's game. Kirwan mentioned that guys with under a 4.25 in the shuttle are considered to have an ideal measurement there.

The fact that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham fits in that group, is nothing less than an excellent sign for his transition. I can buy the position switch argument relative to a guy as talented as Dez Bryant...or C.J. Spiller, or Eric Berry. After that, the position switch argument deteriorates for me.

Back
Top Bottom