Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts

I feel like it is ground hogs day bringing up some posts that I posted in the past on this subject.... Below you will find a couple... The top one I even state that it is a good trade... Since I did post my reaction, you were talking about me and I had the right to state my claim sir...

Yea, except you didnt post those when the trade happened. Seriously, read my post, I was talking initial reaction. Again, groundhog day. I dont think its unreasoable to expect people that come to an internet forum to know how to read. I clearly said initial reactions. Not reactios weeks or months later....wow do I really need to explain this so many times?

Yea, except you didnt post those when the trade happened. Seriously, read my post, I was talking initial reaction. Again, groundhog day. I dont think its unreasoable to expect people that come to an internet forum to know how to read. I clearly said initial reactions. Not reactios weeks or months later....wow do I really need to explain this so many times?

I will explain this further, the posts that I gave you were within the first few days of the trade, when peoples reactions were being posted and the debate of how good of a move we made was still very much alive... Not weeks or months down the road as you try to imply.... This would make it an initial reaction. Maybe you think that if you do not post on here daily and respond to something THE DAY it happens it does not count... But I would disagree with you, because some people have lives and are unable to log on here daily, so I feel posting my reaction in that time frame should be sufficient... Please don't insult my ability to read, it does nothing to argue your case and frankly it is pathetic....

I'll admit I was wrong in calling the trade poor. Not because of the second round pick (I liked the compensation) but because I didn't buy that we traded Vontae because the staff felt Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson improved enough to be our nickle and dime CBs. I also didn't like the timing of the trade as I felt it left us way too thin at CB with no time to get a replacement.

Enough. Seriously? Some of you absolutely baffle me. I'll be the first to admit that Ireland makes mistakes, but this one is a no-brainer win for him.

Departure from the topic at hand aside, let's REALLY look at the Vontae Davis pick/trade (LOL)

In 2009, CB was unquestionably a huge need for the Fins. They did their best to address that.

Who were the corners taken in the first two rounds, and how did they turn out?

1) Malcolm Jenkins was taken by the Saints at 14. He is currently a fine safety for the Saints. No question there.
2) Was Vontae, who was almost universally projected as a first round pick. We know how that turned out.
3) Was Alphonso Smith, drafted by the Broncos early in the second round. He was traded to the Lions the following year. He was cut by the Lions this year, and is currently unemployed.
4) Was Darius Butler, drafted by the Patriots in the second round. He was RELEASED by the Patriots before last season started. Meaning the Patriots got NOTHING for him. (But hey, the Patriots NEVER make draft mistakes, right? Goodness gracious, how did THAT happen?) To put this in perspective and make a lot of people happy, the Patriots passed on LeSean McCoy and Jarius Byrd to take Butler. Again, an astonishing revelation that even the mighty Patriots CANNOT PREDICT THE FUTURE.
5) Was Sherrod Martin, drafted by the Panthers in the second round. He had a pretty decent season last year, but is currently the back-up FS.
6) Was Sean Smith. We all know how that's turning out.

So...of the six DBs taken in the first two rounds, two (Jenkins, S. Smith) are looking VERY solid right now. Two (A. Smith, D. Butler) are failures. One (Martin) is servicable. That leaves Vontae, who might actually be WORSE that we thought he was. He lost his job (word on the street is that Omar Kelly may finally be ready to admit this) in preseason, and Ireland STILL got a 2nd and 6th for him.

That's a fine return on investment in the NFL draft.

And hey...since you feel like dragging another trade in to make Ireland look bad, how's that swap of sixth rounders for Reggie Bush working out? Yes, yes, I know, they had to throw in Jonathon Amaya to get the job done. But...just in case you're of the opinion that Amaya was a potential stud that we gave up on him too easily, that maybe that was just a little too steep a price to pay, please remember that the Saints released him...and we recently resigned him.
Thanks for the incite. Looking at your post puts things in clear perspective. I was a big Vontae fan but didn't complain about the trade, after seeing his approach during the "Hard Knocks" segments. There might still be time for Vontae to turn it all around, but have to admit, I really doubt his mindset. It is all about the pick now and how it could play out in the future. The secondary has an excellent teacher in Coyle and can't help get the feeling, who ever Miami selects at CB or Safety in the upcoming draft will be in a better position than Davis ever was. It gets tiring seeing people forget the mistakes of other Teams and bashing only Miami's; as if every pick has to turn out to be an all pro. Excellent post by you fellow DOLFAN!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel that Vontae was a bad selection in the first round, you have to give Ireland credit for getting close to the same value in the trade.
I guarantee you that Indianapolis feels like they overpaid at this point.

True hard to give props for a trade that garners a 2nd round pick when you spent a first round pick in the first place lol.

I mean people gave Ireland props for the Marshall trade well lest explore that trade.

Chicago got Brandon Marshall 35 receptions 496 yards 3tds and we got Michael Egnew 5 inactives 0 receptions 0 yards and next years 3rd round pick from them, what a steal

Look at the jets: they spent a 6th pick for Gholston - or the Raiders: they squandered the first pick in the draft for Russell and both got virtually nothing in return. At least we got a few years out of reasonable to decent use out of Vontae before getting a nice return on a depreciating asset. So it's all relative.

Yeah, Ireland could have and should have gotten more for Marshall - but regardless for our QBs developmental sake and team chemistry, not to mention Hartline's emergence, losing Marshall is addition by subtraction.

Vontae's in a weird mental space right now. I, like many of us in 2010 and the middle and late portion of the 2011 season felt like Vontae was becoming one of the better CBs in the NFL. I think his brother getting shot messed his head up really bad and then we traded him. His talent level can and will exceed that of a 2nd round pick down the road. He is a gifted player at the position when he's right and I think he will get right at some point.

Look at the jets: they spent a 6th pick for Gholston - or the Raiders: they squandered the first pick in the draft for Russell and both got virtually nothing in return. At least we got a few years out of reasonable to decent use out of Vontae before getting a nice return on a depreciating asset. So it's all relative.

Yeah, Ireland could have and should have gotten more for Marshall - but regardless for our QBs developmental sake and team chemistry, not to mention Hartline's emergence, losing Marshall is addition by subtraction.

Well A Hartline, Bess and marshall combo is a much better receiving corps than what we have now so i dont think it would hurt Tannehill's development right now. I do agree with you on Russel and Ghoulston but both guys were dissapoiting from day one while vontae has always been considered our best corner and has never been looked on as a bust until we traded him.

Vontae's in a weird mental space right now. I, like many of us in 2010 and the middle and late portion of the 2011 season felt like Vontae was becoming one of the better CBs in the NFL. I think his brother getting shot messed his head up really bad and then we traded him. His talent level can and will exceed that of a 2nd round pick down the road. He is a gifted player at the position when he's right and I think he will get right at some point.

His level of immaturity is staggering. He may grow up later in life, but right
now he's simply not mentally able to cope with some of life's ups and downs
that those of us in the real world have had to cope with, and are coping with.

Not all of us have a first thought of calling our mommies either.

Sorry, dude. He may "get it" in time to save his career, but nothing I've
seen from him so far suggests to me he will.

If it works out it works out, but I still think it was a dumb trade. 4 games into a season, injured and in a new system hardly is enough of an indicator to deem this trade a success or a failure.

Back
Top Bottom