Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade for Vontae Davis Looking Like a Bust More and More for the Colts

Now we just have to hope that Ireland or whoever replaces him makes good use of that pick, and that second 3rd rounder they got for Marshall. The first one was already a waste. I already forgot that garbage tight end that Sherman wanted to cut on Hard Knocks' name.

I wouldnt give up on Egnew just yet. He is still a rookie...

I see value in realizing that a play didn't develop and being able to extract a 2nd round pick out of him. That's what matters. Yes, in a perfect world, we don't miss with that 1st rounder but considering the past... I'd take it. We didn't get a pick for goddamn Jason Allen

I suppose it's value if you ignore the net loss. I can't give him any credit for whiffing on a first round pick.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

I am not afraid to say this, but minutes after the trade happened, I called it a "stupid move". I didn't understand trading a projected starting cornerback on the eve of the season, when the options of Carroll and Wilson didn't look great. At that time it seemed like a "I give up on the season" kind of move. So far through 5 games, it looks like I was wrong and I am happy that is the case. Not only is Davis stinking it up in Indainapolis, but guys like Carroll and Wilson are playing better than I thought they would and Smith seems to have finally taken the next step. At this point on the field he doesn't seem to be that big of a loss, and now we have likely an early 2nd round pick next year. 5 total picks in the first three rounds. The early returns on this trade look positive for Miami. I was wrong.

You can go back to the Vontae Davis threads.....there were very few people who stood up for the trade. Sorry, it doesnt look like you were one of them.
I was definitely one who loved the trade. We stole some picks from them thats for sure

Vontae Davis is a great talent at CB but for some reason his head isn't right. Fix his surround-sound issues in life and he's most definitely worth the second round pick that Colts gave.

The jury's still out on this trade long-term, but in the short-term it looks good for the Fins, and way better than having a disgruntled, potential head-case on the roster.

Right now it's a win for the Fins but could eventually be a win for the Colts too -- a win win, hopefully.

LD

Thats nice, except you completely forgot to mention that when the trade happened. Like I said in a few posts in this thread already, Im talking about the reactions people posted when the trade happened. You did not post your reaction to the trade when it happened, thereofore I'm not taling about you....at all. It feels like groundhog day trying to explains this simple point....

Pretty sure that I did say that it was a good value trade when it happened and did post it....

Thats nice, except you completely forgot to mention that when the trade happened. Like I said in a few posts in this thread already, Im talking about the reactions people posted when the trade happened. You did not post your reaction to the trade when it happened, thereofore I'm not taling about you....at all. It feels like groundhog day trying to explains this simple point....

I feel like it is ground hogs day bringing up some posts that I posted in the past on this subject.... Below you will find a couple... The top one I even state that it is a good trade... Since I did post my reaction, you were talking about me and I had the right to state my claim sir...

Might be pointless to discuss further but I will humor myself even though your mind is made up... This was a good trade... You rarely get the same value out of pick that is underacheiving in this league and we got close to the same value... He was drafted three years ago at the end of the 1st round and has been very up and down since we drafted him. We got rid of him for what will likely be a top ten pick in the 2nd... Not too many places away from his original draft spot and second late round pick to go with it...

You are right that Ireland does not think of Davis as a complete bust... That is why he got the value that he got... Had he thought he was a bust he would have taken that 6th and a bag of balls for him... As far as being out of shape there was no strike excuse this season and expectations were laid out by Philbin in the minicamps.. His showing up out of shape to training camp was not professional and he paid the price for it...

Yet Ireland did not take that and told them to put a serious offer on the table and we got their 2nd and a conditional 6th... I would say that he did his job as he would if we are going to make a trade for a WR....

I suppose it's value if you ignore the net loss. I can't give him any credit for whiffing on a first round pick.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Which it is.

True hard to give props for a trade that garners a 2nd round pick when you spent a first round pick in the first place lol.

I mean people gave Ireland props for the Marshall trade well lest explore that trade.

Chicago got Brandon Marshall 35 receptions 496 yards 3tds and we got Michael Egnew 5 inactives 0 receptions 0 yards and next years 3rd round pick from them, what a steal

Again, it's not really hard to give respect for it. Miami had a player that was worth less to the team overall because 1) He never lived up to draft status 2) you have other players who made him expendable.

So you tell me... is the Houston GM HORRIBLE because he didn't get a single bit of compensation (sans a compensatory pick... likely a 3rd) for Mario Williams? Or is it that he was made expendable?

Ireland got a 2nd for a guy that was being buried by the depth chart. Let's think about that. Ireland brought in more talent so much so that a guy like Davis was made expendable. But that doesn't matter. Ireland bashed simply want to get rid of Ireland. It doesn't matter if the team is better off. It doesn't matter if he is one of the best contract negotiators in the league. Hes one of the best trade technicians.

Nope. Who cares. Let's get rid of Ireland. He's turned a 1st round pick into a 2nd. Surely he's the worst.

True hard to give props for a trade that garners a 2nd round pick when you spent a first round pick in the first place lol.

I mean people gave Ireland props for the Marshall trade well lest explore that trade.

Chicago got Brandon Marshall 35 receptions 496 yards 3tds and we got Michael Egnew 5 inactives 0 receptions 0 yards and next years 3rd round pick from them, what a steal

Enough. Seriously? Some of you absolutely baffle me. I'll be the first to admit that Ireland makes mistakes, but this one is a no-brainer win for him.

Departure from the topic at hand aside, let's REALLY look at the Vontae Davis pick/trade (LOL)

In 2009, CB was unquestionably a huge need for the Fins. They did their best to address that.

Who were the corners taken in the first two rounds, and how did they turn out?

1) Malcolm Jenkins was taken by the Saints at 14. He is currently a fine safety for the Saints. No question there.
2) Was Vontae, who was almost universally projected as a first round pick. We know how that turned out.
3) Was Alphonso Smith, drafted by the Broncos early in the second round. He was traded to the Lions the following year. He was cut by the Lions this year, and is currently unemployed.
4) Was Darius Butler, drafted by the Patriots in the second round. He was RELEASED by the Patriots before last season started. Meaning the Patriots got NOTHING for him. (But hey, the Patriots NEVER make draft mistakes, right? Goodness gracious, how did THAT happen?) To put this in perspective and make a lot of people happy, the Patriots passed on LeSean McCoy and Jarius Byrd to take Butler. Again, an astonishing revelation that even the mighty Patriots CANNOT PREDICT THE FUTURE.
5) Was Sherrod Martin, drafted by the Panthers in the second round. He had a pretty decent season last year, but is currently the back-up FS.
6) Was Sean Smith. We all know how that's turning out.

So...of the six DBs taken in the first two rounds, two (Jenkins, S. Smith) are looking VERY solid right now. Two (A. Smith, D. Butler) are failures. One (Martin) is servicable. That leaves Vontae, who might actually be WORSE that we thought he was. He lost his job (word on the street is that Omar Kelly may finally be ready to admit this) in preseason, and Ireland STILL got a 2nd and 6th for him.

That's a fine return on investment in the NFL draft.

And hey...since you feel like dragging another trade in to make Ireland look bad, how's that swap of sixth rounders for Reggie Bush working out? Yes, yes, I know, they had to throw in Jonathon Amaya to get the job done. But...just in case you're of the opinion that Amaya was a potential stud that we gave up on him too easily, that maybe that was just a little too steep a price to pay, please remember that the Saints released him...and we recently resigned him.

Back
Top Bottom