Troy Smith? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Smith?

fanaticfin

Scout Team
Reaction score
I was looking through 2007 mock drafts and kept on seeing 3 or 4 qbs drafted before Troy Smith. I was hoping someone could explain how this makes sense. I realize the people running these sites know more about college football than I do, but Troy Smith has easily been one of the top two players in college football this season (the other being, in my opinion, Peterson before he got hurt). While I have only seen two Ohio State games this year (Texas and Iowa) because I am gator fan and normally try to watch the gators and other SEC teams. He has looked great in both games I have watched, and from everything I have read online he is the runaway heisman trophy winner. I understand that the heisman trophy winner is not necessarily the best nfl prospect (Jason White, Eric Crouch, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris Weinke, and etc....), but from what I have seen in the games I have watched this year and the Notre Dame bowl game he has a great arm and even better legs. What is not to like about that. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated, because I am trying to figure out why people, that I believe know much more about college football than me, are stating that Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, and Drew Stanton should be selected before Troy Smith.[/FONT]

His size, and that he may only be this good because of his surrounding talent are what concern people. Size is the key one.

once he wins the national championship he will be in the top 10 in the first round

it is his size that is the problem, i am a buckeye fan and watch everygame. this kid can run and really throw the ball. He also so the ablity to choose what to do at any given time in the game. he is not only a runner but a very good passer. Brees is only 6 foot. he is doing fine. If we could some how get him in the 2 round i think that would be great. and CJ in the first. wow

He's listed at 6'1 which is short for a Qb. Smith is the front-runner for the heisman but when it comes to prospects I think that Quinn and Brohm look more like a proto-typical Qb. Quinn has Weis to help promote and Brohm and Lousiville has as good of a shot at getting the championship game as Ohio State right now without Michael Bush. I think Brohm is only a Jr. so it's not a gurantee he even declares.

I agree with what everyone has said, but im not really impressed by this guy until i see him win a game for them. His defense is stout and running game is pretty good, i wanna see him win a game for them. You can say hes gone out there and put up good numbers, but has this guy brought his team from behind or single handedly take over a game. I havent seen all the buckeye games but i live in Indiana and watch almost all of em and i just havent seen it.

phins4gish said:
once he wins the national championship he will be in the top 10 in the first round
I highly doubt him being a 1st round pick, certainly not a top 10, regardless if the team he plays on wins the national championship game.

The NFL Draft is not about who is the best college QB, it's about who will be the best NFL QB. I think that is the source of your confusion.

^ Whats wrong with Smith? He has a great arm, makes great choices, can read a defense and scrambles when he needs too.

Majpain said:
^ Whats wrong with Smith? He has a great arm, makes great choices, can read a defense and scrambles when he needs too.

Off the top of my head: his height.

he has a pretty high release and can certainly find the passing lanes, his height isn't really a concern, although it'll still hurt his stock.

Frisches13283 said:
Off the top of my head: his height.
So that should negate his talent?

I honestly didnt know Height mattered for a QB. I wouldnt think his height could set him back to rounds 2-3.

UF Fin Kat said:
he has a pretty high release and can certainly find the passing lanes, his height isn't really a concern, although it'll still hurt his stock.

And that's all I was commenting about, as to what was wrong with him. One problem is his height, so that'll hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom