Troy Smith? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Smith?

Frisches13283 said:
I never said that. You just asked what was wrong with him, and I named something.

I know I kinda asked another question :goof:

Majpain said:
So that should negate his talent?

I honestly didnt know Height mattered for a QB. I wouldnt think his height could set him back to rounds 2-3.

when he's throwing passes that get batted down or tipped by the dline and picked off it might. you have to realize that his passes are coming off like 5 or 6 inches lower than peyton mannings and tom bradys.

Majpain said:
I know I kinda asked another question :goof:

Touche. Read to much into it.

No it shouldn't negate his talent, but it should certainly be factored in when translating his game. Also factor in the talent around him compared to the opposition. If he has great bowl game, and postseason games, and a great workout, he will move up IMO. But as is, I see him as a mid/late 2nd round pick at best.

Majpain said:
^ Whats wrong with Smith? He has a great arm, makes great choices, can read a defense and scrambles when he needs too.

I am not a scout and have no idea why some guys project higher than others most of the time. All I'm saying is that playing QB in college is not the same as playing QB in the pros, and scouts know this.

For an example of someone with Troy Smith-like numbers, look no further than former FSU QB Charlie Ward. He won the 1993 Heisman trophy, throwing for 27 TDs with only 4 INTs while being an amazing scrambler. He was clearly the best college QB that year, but he was never considered an NFL style QB.

Crowder52 said:
I am not a scout and have no idea why some guys project higher than others most of the time. All I'm saying is that playing QB in college is not the same as playing QB in the pros, and scouts know this.

For an example of someone with Troy Smith-like numbers, look no further than former FSU QB Charlie Ward. He won the 1993 Heisman trophy, throwing for 27 TDs with only 4 INTs while being an amazing scrambler. He was clearly the best college QB that year, but he was never considered an NFL style QB.

To be fair, Ward never sought to play in the NFL. He chose the NBA.

ZThomas54 said:
when he's throwing passes that get batted down or tipped by the dline and picked off it might. you have to realize that his passes are coming off like 5 or 6 inches lower than peyton mannings and tom bradys.

Thats true. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Frisches13283 said:
To be fair, Ward never sought to play in the NFL. He chose the NBA.

And I would argue a big reason why he made that decision was the fact that he projected as a more successful NBA player.

Crowder52 said:
And I would argue a big reason why he made that decision was the fact that he projected as a more successful NBA player.

Considering the pounding he would avoid in the NBA, and the resulting longevity, he was projected to have more success there.

Frisches13283 said:
Considering the pounding he would avoid in the NBA, and the resulting longevity, he was projected to have more success there.

He publicly stated he didn't want to play football unless he was drafted in the first round. He wasn't. In fact, he wasn't drafted in any round. He was selected in the first round of the NBA Draft, so it seems he was projected a more successful basketball player regardless.

Crowder52 said:
He publicly stated he didn't want to play football unless he was drafted in the first round. He wasn't. In fact, he wasn't drafted in any round. He was selected in the first round of the NBA Draft, so it seems he was projected a more successful basketball player regardless.

I meant more success from a personal view. Since he'd be able to play there longer.

And I didn't know he publicly stated he wouldn't play unless he was a 1st rounder. But if I didn't want to take him in the 1st round, I wouldn't waste a pick on him later in the draft, if he told me he wouldn't play unless he was a 1st rounder.

Frisches13283 said:
I highly doubt him being a 1st round pick, certainly not a top 10, regardless if the team he plays on wins the national championship game.

Yeah, and Vince Young didnt help his cause by single handedly beating USC, did he?

If Smith can do that, he will be a first rounder for sure. Also, 6'1" is not that small. He is much taller than Flutie.

Frisches13283 said:
I meant more success from a personal view. Since he'd be able to play there longer.

And I didn't know he publicly stated he wouldn't play unless he was a 1st rounder. But if I didn't want to take him in the 1st round, I wouldn't waste a pick on him later in the draft, if he told me he wouldn't play unless he was a 1st rounder.

Which means people didn't grade him as a first round prospect, if no one took him there. And therein lies the Troy Smith comparison that I made in the first place.

phins4gish said:
Yeah, and Vince Young didnt help his cause by single handedly beating USC, did he?

If Smith can do that, he will be a first rounder for sure. Also, 6'1" is not that small. He is much taller than Flutie.

Lol come on man saying someone is taller than Flutie doesn't legitimize their size.

phins4gish said:

Vince Young was already a first round pick, most likely a top 12 pick also. Beating USC just solidified it.

Even if Troy Smith beats someone single handedly this is a very weak year in terms of true powerhouse teams in college football, and no-one (including Ohio State) could carry last years USC or Texas's jock strap. So that would take away from his performance IMO

To me Smith is a Mid First to Early Second round pick

I haven't watched the kid play yet, but my understanding is that his knocks are his height (as mentioned here) and character (in that he's had some off field issues). I don't really follow OSU so I don't know the validit or extent of such issues.

Back
Top Bottom