Tyreek Trade in Retrospect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyreek Trade in Retrospect

AMakados10

Club Member
Reaction score
Interesting article…

“The Chiefs maneuvered around the NFL Draft using the draft capital they received in the Hill trade. Following subsequent trades involving those picks, the Chiefs ultimately selected Washington CB Trent McDuffie, Western Michigan WR Skyy Moore, Kentucky IOL Darian Kinnard, SMU WR Rashee Rice, and Texas DT Keondre Coburn and still have a remaining 2024 fifth-rounder they acquired.”

Tyreek is individually phenomenal but the Dolphins took a shortcut to building a perpetual winner through the draft with the Tyreek trade. He only counted $6M and $12M against the cap the past 2 seasons which balloons into $30Ms next two years and then $50+M.

Chiefs didn’t want to pay a WR that much, which Grier did, plus sent a trove of picks that included an All Pro CB and some solid players.

Would you do it over again?

I think we may have the potential to flip him for some decent return if they choose to do so but that would have to be done probably this offseason, maybe next. He is our best player and it's not close but we could be as good imo without him but it would take some good player acquisition/drafting with a lot of good coaching to construct the O a bit differently (which may benefit us)

I think we may have the potential to flip him for some decent return if they choose to do so but that would have to be done probably this offseason, maybe next. He is our best player and it's not close but we could be as good imo without him but it would take some good player acquisition/drafting with a lot of good coaching to construct the O a bit differently (which may benefit us)
This is why I have other posters mad at me, but I think we need to tear down now. I don't think this roster, with so many free agents, so few picks and so little cap space can win it all. Get value for our players while they have them and rebuild bigger, faster and better. It's a painful process, but I think next offseason we are going to be sitting right where we are, maybe a playoff appearance, second place in the division, maybe we win a playoff game, but no more.

This is why I have other posters mad at me, but I think we need to tear down now. I don't think this roster, with so many free agents, so few picks and so little cap space can win it all. Get value for our players while they have them and rebuild bigger, faster and better. It's a painful process, but I think next offseason we are going to be sitting right where we are, maybe a playoff appearance, second place in the division, maybe we win a playoff game, but no more.

I don’t hate this but I’ve accepted the reality that we have a very old owner and a GM that does not want to be fired. It’s win now for the foreseeable future.

Interesting article…

“The Chiefs maneuvered around the NFL Draft using the draft capital they received in the Hill trade. Following subsequent trades involving those picks, the Chiefs ultimately selected Washington CB Trent McDuffie, Western Michigan WR Skyy Moore, Kentucky IOL Darian Kinnard, SMU WR Rashee Rice, and Texas DT Keondre Coburn and still have a remaining 2024 fifth-rounder they acquired.”

Tyreek is individually phenomenal but the Dolphins took a shortcut to building a perpetual winner through the draft with the Tyreek trade. He only counted $6M and $12M against the cap the past 2 seasons which balloons into $30Ms next two years and then $50+M.

Chiefs didn’t want to pay a WR that much, which Grier did, plus sent a trove of picks that included an All Pro CB and some solid players.

I didn’t want to do the trade then and I wouldn't do it again. Hill was a luxury and we had just drafted Waddle (top 10 pick) and he was a small fast WR coming of a 100+ catch rookie year.

It goes beyond just the picks. Hill cost a crap load of money on top of it. The reason KC traded Hill was to place that money in other areas. KC went out and signed guys like Taylor and Thuney for the OL with that money.

End result was KC got two top OL (money saved on Hill) and a bunch a picks as well. We got flashy WRs, which don't matter much when the OL can't block for crap against a good D front. KC had the #1 pass blocking OL in the NFL, we had the #31. KC knows what they are doing we don't. Build the trenches first. WRs can be fond all over the draft.

I don’t hate this but I’ve accepted the reality that we have a very old owner and a GM that does not want to be fired. It’s win now for the foreseeable future.
This. The finally decided to go full rebuild in what 2020? Then they couldn't stay the course. Rushed Tua who should have sat/rehab the whole 1st year. Traded picks for Chubb and Hill when it didn't matter. Tampered with Brady. Ross has zero patience which is required in a rebuild. He gets half way into then does stupid **** to soon.

I can see the thought process but the reality is the organization is not, repeat not, going to do that at this time, so repeatedly stating and rationalizing it is kind of a waste of time and energy, isn't it?

Interesting article…

Hell yeah I’d do it again. He’s provided the most enjoyment I’ve had watching the dolphins on Sundays in decades. Say what you want about all of those other players, none of them are as fun to watch or have provided as much excitement! The hell you talkin bout…

Back
Top Bottom