Tyreek Trade in Retrospect | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyreek Trade in Retrospect

Interesting article…

“The Chiefs maneuvered around the NFL Draft using the draft capital they received in the Hill trade. Following subsequent trades involving those picks, the Chiefs ultimately selected Washington CB Trent McDuffie, Western Michigan WR Skyy Moore, Kentucky IOL Darian Kinnard, SMU WR Rashee Rice, and Texas DT Keondre Coburn and still have a remaining 2024 fifth-rounder they acquired.”

Tyreek is individually phenomenal but the Dolphins took a shortcut to building a perpetual winner through the draft with the Tyreek trade. He only counted $6M and $12M against the cap the past 2 seasons which balloons into $30Ms next two years and then $50+M.

Chiefs didn’t want to pay a WR that much, which Grier did, plus sent a trove of picks that included an All Pro CB and some solid players.

Would you do it over again?
No… I’d rather have had the draft picks

What I would do instead is 5 years ago fire the hell out of Grier and hire a capable GM that can successfully draft. That way instead of having to pay big money and draft capital for every impactful player on our team, we could have top young drafted stars like Hill (our best weapon), Armstead and Williams (our best OLs), Long (our best LB), Ramsey (our best player on defense and best secondary player), Chubb (our best pass rusher). All of them FA drafted by teams that know how to do it and none of them drafted by Grier. Instead of aquiring picks by trading some of our young drafted players before their second contract and then using those resources on new young ones to keep the salary balanced, we are the team paying big money and draft capital and now we are finally in a financial mess because of it. All of that not because we have the top weapon in the entire NFL in Hill. All of that is because Grier really sucks at drafting.

What I would do instead is 5 years ago fire the hell out of Grier and hire a capable GM that can successfully draft. That way instead of having to pay big money and draft capital for every impactful player on our team, we could have top young drafted stars like Hill (our best weapon), Armstead and Williams (our best OLs), Long (our best LB), Ramsey (our best player on defense and best secondary player), Chubb (our best pass rusher). All of them FA drafted by teams that know how to do it and none of them drafted by Grier. Instead of aquiring picks by trading some of our young drafted players before their second contract and then using those resources on new young ones to keep the salary balanced, we are the team paying big money and draft capital and now we are finally in a financial mess because of it. All of that not because we have the top weapon in the entire NFL in Hill. All of that is because Grier really sucks at drafting.
Grier made a few nice moves, but when it comes to overall team-building, he's terrible. He did a fine job in 2019 of gutting the roster, getting rid of overpaid underperforming players and bloated contracts, and accumulating draft picks. Having a lot of space under the cap to go along with a total of ten 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts was a remarkable feat.

Miami is a team that has had o-line problems for over a decade, and yet with all of those resources available to Grier, Miami finished the 2021 season with the worst o-line in the League. At the time, RG Hunt was the only starting o-lineman worth keeping, but they also kept Jackson and Eichenberg. Luckily for Grier, Jackson finally became decent in his 4th season, although Eichenberg is a bust.

However, you have to look at the big picture: after gutting the roster and having five drafts, only two of Miami's starting o-linemen were drafted by Grier. Instead of building the line through the draft and the occasional FA, Grier has wasted a lot of money building through Free Agency. And, it's not just the o-line; they're going to end up losing some of their other drafted players who are due new contracts because Grier brought in too many high-priced FAs over the years.

I don’t hate this but I’ve accepted the reality that we have a very old owner and a GM that does not want to be fired. It’s win now for the foreseeable future.
Both good points. Tyreek could fetch some picks and save cap space - a first this year and a 2nd next year. Dallas is desperate to jump on it in a heartbeat, and Jones is in the same boat as Ross and needs to win now also, Greer is in a win now mode to save his job, so any rebuild means he would be gone. He’s not gonna Seal his own fate and rebuild.

While I agree with just about all of this, I wanted to point out that Phillips is/was better than Chubb before each of them got hurt.

Small nitpick. Bradley can’t get off blocks like JP. Hopefully we get that JP back at some point.

Last edited:
I didn’t want to do the trade then and I wouldn't do it again. Hill was a luxury and we had just drafted Waddle (top 10 pick) and he was a small fast WR coming of a 100+ catch rookie year.

It goes beyond just the picks. Hill cost a crap load of money on top of it. The reason KC traded Hill was to place that money in other areas. KC went out and signed guys like Taylor and Thuney for the OL with that money.

End result was KC got two top OL (money saved on Hill) and a bunch a picks as well. We got flashy WRs, which don't matter much when the OL can't block for crap against a good D front. KC had the #1 pass blocking OL in the NFL, we had the #31. KC knows what they are doing we don't. Build the trenches first. WRs can be fond all over the draft.
Waddle started reading this post but got a little banged up and had to come out. Again.

Interesting article…

“The Chiefs maneuvered around the NFL Draft using the draft capital they received in the Hill trade. Following subsequent trades involving those picks, the Chiefs ultimately selected Washington CB Trent McDuffie, Western Michigan WR Skyy Moore, Kentucky IOL Darian Kinnard, SMU WR Rashee Rice, and Texas DT Keondre Coburn and still have a remaining 2024 fifth-rounder they acquired.”

Tyreek is individually phenomenal but the Dolphins took a shortcut to building a perpetual winner through the draft with the Tyreek trade. He only counted $6M and $12M against the cap the past 2 seasons which balloons into $30Ms next two years and then $50+M.

Chiefs didn’t want to pay a WR that much, which Grier did, plus sent a trove of picks that included an All Pro CB and some solid players.

Would you do it over again?

Whether they paid Hill or not, the same story would have unfolded, except in getting Hill, Miami was within a few less Injuries from stopping the Chiefs from Repeating.

Injuries are part of the game, and though what happened to Miami was way more then the norm, I will allow it in this case to be something Miami should have found a way around, but to best make my point of what the Hill trade did for us compared to the Chiefs, let's just for comparison sake say Dolphins and the Chiefs went into the last 3 games. then playoffs both healthy...Which team really looked scarier?

The Chiefs had Mahomes, and they had Kelse, but Miami had the most Dangerous pair of Receivers, and the most dangerous pair of RBs inn the NFL...They were also the 2nd highest scoring offense in the NFL, only behind the Cowboys with the injuries, take them away and Miami probably easily becomes #1.

Miami losing to the Titans (Underestimating or not does not happen), and whether Miami can or can't beat the Ravens in Baltimore does not matter, because Miami still ends up with the bye and the #1 position when they easily beat the Bills in Miami.

In the playoffs Miami become more dangerous, Miami would have beaten the Texans, and in the Chsmpionship game, Maholmes/Kelse or not, a rested Miami Offense would have in Miami outplayed the Chiefs with all their weapons.

The Hill trade helped KC only because they got more money to get more 2nd and 3rd level talent, but with all the 1st level Talent Hill was added to, Miami did very well and better then the Chiefs, which if healthy, they would have beat.

While I agree with just about all of this, I wanted to point out that Phillips is/was better than Chubb before each of them got hurt.

Small nitpick. Bradley can’t get off blocks like JP. Hopefully we get that JP back at some point.
Agreed, Chubb is also odd pass rusher in the its not about speed with him, he has to power through. Phillips has/had all the tools and was easily the better of the two.

It's a good question. Hill has certainly lived up, producing at an extremely high level. He's one of the best offensive skill players this team has ever had. Ever.

I guess I'd feel better if Miami was the team winning super bowls and not Kansas City, but a lot of that is Mahomes and Reed. Another factor, is how would Hill have transformed the Jets if he ended up there?

Grier is bold. I like that. I would say it's a trade that has worked out well for both teams.

Yes I agree! Problem with JP so far is that every year he starts very slow then gets to an uncanny level but bad luck this year cause he got hurt at his best time of his career.

The Dolphins wanted to see how good a QB Tua could be and acquiring Tyreek was a piece of that puzzle. It didn't work, so now it's time to move on with a different QB.
Tyreek will be an asset to any new QB the Dolphins acquire.

Ju
The Dolphins wanted to see how good a QB Tua could be and acquiring Tyreek was a piece of that puzzle. It didn't work, so now it's time to move on with a different QB.
Tyreek will be an asset to any new QB the Dolphins acquire.
Just STOP

Back
Top Bottom