Tyreek Trade in Retrospect | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyreek Trade in Retrospect

i wouldn’t say we have a good shot to be a dynasty as we haven’t won a playoff game since payphones were still in use

I think the injuries imo come from a lot of our core guys being undersized Tua, Achane, Hill, Waddle, Smythe etc jmo

Then we need to start bringing in more size to the offense, bring in a TE and big receiver to take some of the pressure off the premium, but smaller receivers...Keep only Achane and if willing to come back, Mostert, and give Chris Brooks a shot to get some touches. Team needs to figure it out, because that is the biggest issue holding them back from being great.

I agree with you that they need to win a playoff game, but when your biggest pieces on the Offense and Defense are out, it stalls your team.

How do you think the Bills would have done last year if Tua played, but Josh Allen didn't.

Or this year Miami having a somewhat healthy team against a Chiefs team missing key players on the Defense like Chis Jones, Trent McDuffie, Justin Reed.

Or on offense playing with their only 2 of the 5 starters on the O-line (Rest are backups), backup At RB, and Injured receiving weapons including Kelse.

In the Tua/McDaniel era, if not for injury, that not winning a playoff game would have been long done with.

Hill is the best football player on this team and Grier would have ****ed away the draft picks anyway. So yes, it was the best deal we could have made with these picks.

Tyreek Hill is one of the best players in Dolphins history but he’s going to be 30 years old next season and he broke down last year as the season went on. He’s only 5’8” and 170 lbs, featuring a guy that small and getting him hit all the time is going to be a problem.

The wildcat was awesome, but that was 15 years ago and mostly refined to one game against New England. I broke two fingers that day playing football and didn't go to the hospital until Monday, best decision I ever made :) Flo's winning streak didn't nothing for me as I wanted a better draft pick

Minus the games in Buffalo and Baltimore, I liked that we were at least competitive against the better teams this year, some of those could have went either way.

Let's see what the draft / free agency brings.
Agreed, will be an interesting offseason for sure. Have to nail these first two picks.

Tyreek Hill is one of the best players in Dolphins history but he’s going to be 30 years old next season and he broke down last year as the season went on. He’s only 5’8” and 170 lbs, featuring a guy that small and getting him hit all the time is going to be a problem.
Of course. That's why we signed big receiver like Claypool. I was wondering why but now we can rest the league's top receiver.

You didn't enjoy the wildcat and pounding NE? Miami miracle? Ricky running through the snow to beat Buffalo in Buffalo late in the year to make the playoffs? Even Flo had us on a 7 game win streak heading into Tennessee and a potential playoff spot a couple years back which was somewhat entertaining w/ the ameba defense. So this year? Chargers game was nice, Denver game was great. 3-0, whoop! Here we come. Then we got creamed by Buffalo and could only manage wins over the likes of Panthers/Giants/Jets while dropping every MD self proclaimed game of the week starting with the Bills, then to Philly, KC in Germany, Ravens, Bills again, KC again. I never got too high off the cream puff victories which actually got me in a little trouble around here at I wasn't enthusiastic enough when we were temporarily in first place in the division.

In any event, not trying to argue with you but to me we are still in mediocre-ville until proven otherwise. We're just currently one of the better mediocre teams rather than one of the worst ones like we used to be.

We made the playoffs two years in a row which is great particularly for us however neither year did I think we had a real chance in the playoff game which is how it went.

Now there is hope we can actually accomplish something meaningful over the next couple seasons but it's no given and it will require excellent drafting and manipulation of the cap given our meager resources. Hoping for the best.
last two years have been great compared to bogus miami miracle or flo winning streak. Same with Ricky in snow. No playoffs those years so they were all failures. We made playoffs this year and last so they are automatically better. Now understand why some of you guys are so upset with these last two seasons if you consider those bogus moments like miami miracle or flo's 2019 2020 or 2021 better than these last two years. Makes me feel even better about these last two years. Nothing pissed me off more than the flo years. All led to nothing.

I mean who did we beat any of those years if you are judging success by beating good teams. That 2021 streak with flo was creampuffs except for ravens. He is the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise besides joe philbin. They killed this franchise

By far the best player on the team. Not his fault that Tua played like garbage when we needed him most, again.
Tyreek is great- love the guy, but don’t forget he played like garbage when we needed him most- and it happened multiple times this year- against the bills and cowboys late in the season he dropped 2 potential tds- dropped tds against Philly, Baltimore as well- and a drop on a deep ball, and the fumble in KC

last two years have been great compared to bogus miami miracle or flo winning streak. Same with Ricky in snow. No playoffs those years so they were all failures. We made playoffs this year and last so they are automatically better. Now understand why some of you guys are so upset with these last two seasons if you consider those bogus moments like miami miracle or flo's 2019 2020 or 2021 better than these last two years. Makes me feel even better about these last two years. Nothing pissed me off more than the flo years. All led to nothing.

I mean who did we beat any of those years if you are judging success by beating good teams. That 2021 streak with flo was creampuffs except for ravens. He is the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise besides joe philbin. They killed this franchise
Glad you liked them but no division title and no playoff wins. Great game against Denver though. Just another season with a few brief highlights before being shown the door.

McDuffie was a homerun pick, guy will be a top 10 corner if he's not already.

Rice is decent I guess. When your playing w Mahones you couldn't have an easier job as a WR in the NFL. Now that I think about it, Rice isn't anything that special, solid #2 wr most likley.

All the other guys are Meh, with the exception of Sky Moore who is a bust the size of Dolly Parton.

Agree, McDuffie was a home run pick. All-Pro in year 2 at 23 years old.

Rice was impressive as a rookie and put up solid numbers as the #2 option behind Kelce. 79 catches with over 900 yards and 7 TDs.

That's two premium positions on cheap rookie contracts, Tyreek's cap hit jumps from $12M in 2023 to $31M in 2024 so we're losing a Wilkins-level player for his spike, and Tyreek is only going to be a Dolphin for 2 more seasons. He'll be 32 years old when his cap spikes to $56M in 2026 with no guaranteed left and a $45M cap savings if cut.

As individually phenomenal as Tyreek is, I think I'd take McDuffie, Rice, and keeping Wilkins over Tyreek.

Elite Wrs should be good until about 33-34 before you can really say they're losing a step...and that was in the 90s...unless they are suffering from knee injuries or Achilles issues....in today's age we should be good at least until then...

Bringing in bigger wrs though is a must and I think when Sherfield left McD tried to get that back with Wilson (taking on a bigger role) and Claypool but it didn't go exactly as planned.

Agree, McDuffie was a home run pick. All-Pro in year 2 at 23 years old.

Rice was impressive as a rookie and put up solid numbers as the #2 option behind Kelce. 79 catches with over 900 yards and 7 TDs.

That's two premium positions on cheap rookie contracts, Tyreek's cap hit jumps from $12M in 2023 to $31M in 2024 so we're losing a Wilkins-level player for his spike, and Tyreek is only going to be a Dolphin for 2 more seasons. He'll be 32 years old when his cap spikes to $56M in 2026 with no guaranteed left and a $45M cap savings if cut.

As individually phenomenal as Tyreek is, I think I'd take McDuffie, Rice, and keeping Wilkins over Tyreek.
Not me, and that’s even assuming we’d have used the pick on McDuffie which is not a fair assumption. That’s an A++ pick. We could’ve just as easily drafted Kaiir Elam, in which case the analysis is essentially Tyreek at fair market value vs. Rashee Rice on a rookie deal.

We’ve made a lot of team building errors, but the Tyreek trade was not one of them. Great move.

Problem is Hill is great and we force him the ball. That's not Tua's game. I remember we was down to our 3rd and 4th WR,s few seasons ago and still won. Hill is a great addition but we need to spread it around and get Waddle more involved cauae Tua sure was exposed last 4 games.

Glad you liked them but no division title and no playoff wins. Great game against Denver though. Just another season with a few brief highlights before being shown the door.
Those other seasons you mentioned we never made it to the door. Playoffs are better than No playoffs I think. But don’t get me wrong I have concerns. We might have reached our peak as playoff team

Back
Top Bottom