Tyreek Trade in Retrospect | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyreek Trade in Retrospect

Watch again. 6:47 left in a tied game against a 4-8 team, and Tua has Ced Wilson wide open at the top of the screen but hesitates and gets sacked. They should be getting the ball back with a chance to win the game which is a laughable considering the season they had and the season we were having. We punt the ball and get it at the 7 due to a dropped punt, what an amazing TD drive by Tua. Great job of handing it off. Fumble the ball on the 12 on the next drive and Tua once again does a fantastic job of handing the ball off. You seriously gonna talk about how he "Led 2 TD drives to take a 14 point lead with less then 4 minutes to go in the game against the Titans"? When he had a chance to win the game on the last 2 drives and choked against a terrible football team, couldn't even get a pass off on the last 4th down. What a joke, y'all Tuanons cra cra.

Said Ms. Tannyhill? Is that you, would you like to go back then....

Yes. Best player on our team.

Exactly right. And an element the Chiefs really miss.

I can hear someone now “what do you mean they miss him? They just won the SB a few days ago and now 2 in a row WITHOUT him?”

Yes they did. But anybody that actually followed the NFL in depth, and especially the Chiefs, realize how much more explosive they were offensively (before that trade) and how close they came to NOT winning this season and last. Had they still had Tyreek, they may not have struggled as much and had an easier path to winning.

Let’s be real. The Chiefs offense struggled most the season. And they struggled mightily in the SB, too. If not for the unforced and lucky turnover that changed the game, it’s very doubtful the Chiefs would have won on Sunday (or in several other games this past season). Part of the reason is their offense is now mediocre sans Mahomes and sometimes Kelce.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins have become, arguably, the top offensive in the league the past 2 seasons. In 2023 they led the league in total yards and passing yards, and were #6 in rushing yards and #2 in scoring.

What held them back was health on the offensive line, and defensively.

I’d make the argument that given the same health as KC on the offensive line, if you swapped KC’s defense with Miami’s defense — the Dolphins would have won the SB. Or at least seriously would have threatened to win it.

There’s no way I can undersell the impact of Tyreek Hill or the trade because the Dolphins defense wasn’t near as good as the Chiefs nor did they come close to the same level of health and consistency on the offensive line.

Those two things really were the difference as far as I can tell.

Now, if the Dolphins have a capable and relatively healthy line and their defense performs anywhere close to the same level as the Chiefs next season and they don’t win or seriously threaten to win the SB — then I’ll declare the Dolphins a loser in that trade.

But right now? No chance. They’re fielding a top offense. If they get their act together defensively and finally receive some luck health wise — the narrative will suddenly change with most lauding that trade, along with the Tunsil trade that set the table as well.

He choked against Tennessee because Liam Eichenberg let Harold Landry sack him on 4th down? He literally let Landry take a free run at Tua. Blocked him for a second, then just said “ah, screw it, let me find someone else to block” and disengaged.
Not to get involved in this convo, but Tua didn't help by stepping up right to the pressure. It was right in front of his face and he didn't see it. Ended up having to take the sack for it and it was game over. I can't defend eich but Tua sealed the fate without a scramble there... ok that's it for me.

Not to get involved in this convo, but Tua didn't help by stepping up right to the pressure. It was right in front of his face and he didn't see it. Ended up having to take the sack for it and it was game over. I can't defend eich but Tua sealed the fate without a scramble there... ok that's it for me.
No one was perfect on that play, but Tua had to step up into the pocket as both ends were collapsing. The inexplicable part was Eichenberg just disengaging from Landry to block a pass rusher that didn’t exist. There were plenty of other problematic aspects to the entire game - including Tyreek being injured. But I don’t ever remember seeing a dumber move by an offensive lineman in a key spot.

Watch again. 6:47 left in a tied game against a 4-8 team, and Tua has Ced Wilson wide open at the top of the screen but hesitates and gets sacked.

I don't agree with this. Looking at the play, there is a defender 3 yards behind Wilson and is closing on him. Tua is still in his drop back and would still need to set and throw....if Tua tries to complete that pass, it could easily be picked and go the other way.

Trading for Hill wasn’t the problem.......the problem imo is that then we did it with Chubb and Ramsey.....all top players this season but they costed 8 picks and millions of money as far as the cap......they said they'd rebuild but instead of building thru the draft they tried taking a short cut......it started when trading a 2nd round pick for Rosen....clearly the team wasn’t ready at that point to help a young QB......then they bring in Fitz which costed them the top pick in the draft....in every round

Now we'll be restructuring contracts once again(need to clear 56mill just to get under the cap) but some people like the way things are going.

I have ni idea what to expect for the 2024 season till we see what we do with free agency and then the draft.

Hill has been our best player and the offense has gone thru him but clearly the way to do it is the way KC has done it....they used a 5th round pick to draft Hill and won a SB with him.....didn’t pay him what he wanted and got all those picks for him and now have won two SB's without him

I wish we had KC's front office

I don't agree with this. Looking at the play, there is a defender 3 yards behind Wilson and is closing on him. Tua is still in his drop back and would still need to set and throw....if Tua tries to complete that pass, it could easily be picked and go the other way.

Agreed.

Plus, that sack isn't what lost the game.

There's no denying the offense and Tua stunk that game. Absolutely.

But that sack, is not the reason the defense had a historic collapse in the last few minutes of the game

Tua not doing enough to win that game is not the same as saying we lost because of Tua or the offense. Those are 2 separate issues.

The Chiefs don't have a receiver on their roster who is better than Hill but they still managed to win the Super Bowl twice. If Miami can move Hill they should, I believe Tua is way too dependent on him, and even though the tandem is exciting to watch by racking up yards and touchdowns Tua isn't utilizing enough of his personnel on the team and it will continue to hurt us in the long run.
Sounds good in theory but if you think we struggled to score points against good teams and in big games this year just wait until you see how that goes without Hill on the team. Yikes.

whether the chiefs hit on a very late first rounder and second rounder (and even later picks), isn't relevant to the fact that any GM in the league would consider those exact draft picks a pittance against acquiring a 27 year old Cheetah (actually a couple weeks after he turned 28).

the contract is a whole 'nother conversation, but we made out like bandits (as usual) in the pick compensation department.

The last two years have been the most fun watching the Dolphins since Marino

Yeah, the end of both seasons sucked but I'll take that any day, hopefully next year we can finish what we started.
No offense but you're easily pleased. Were points in the season fun? Sure but there have been fun points across lots of past seasons we didn't really compete. Watching a team get out to a great start based on an easy schedule only to fail time and again to beat a quality opponent and then finally lose to an inferior team to essentially lose the division to the Bills who had an uncharacteristically poor regular season, well that wasn't all that fun for me. Just such a low bar around here, I guess any sign of life is so new and great it feels better than it really is.

Ultimately our best Dolphin's teams in the last 20 years were last in/first out playoff teams. Frankly I had expected better from the 2019 rebuild, all the draft capital and money we had accumulated. We rebuilt, we're no longer bottom 3rd or 4th of the league. But looks like we rebuilt an avg. 10 win/year team that has a chance at a 6/7 seed, maybe, in the years 10 wins get it done. A rebuild without a division title or playoff win though is a failed rebuild IMO no matter how fun watching the 10 win team is.

I'm a bottom line guy, you play to win the game, we're in it to win it. MD hasn't won a playoff game in 23 years, that is ineptitude at a higher level than any other team in the league. I don't want to continue to just take that any day because of a few highlights, every team every season has highlights.

I know, you hate Tua. Congratulations.

He's the demon spawn and will cause eternal damnation to the Phinz.

I don't need to rewatch when Phinz were the 1st team in 768 games to lose a game in regulation with a 14 point lead.

No offense, but Tua and the offense should have never needed to get a 1st down in that scenario.

Maybe you'd be happier watching the Bills who when their QB and offense turns the ball over 4 times in the first half, within their 30 yard line, the defense doesn't actually give up 15 points in 3 minutes
Isn't there enough blame to go around? Tua and the offense were gifted a defensive TD and another short field TD but couldn't put the game away. The defense choked up the last 4 minutes but in the first half Chub and his helmet also cost us points. They all get blame for choking up the division at home on Monday night to a team like the Titans.

Isn't there enough blame to go around? Tua and the offense were gifted a defensive TD and another short field TD but couldn't put the game away. The defense choked up the last 4 minutes but in the first half Chub and his helmet also cost us points. They all get blame for choking up the division at home on Monday night to a team like the Titans.

Ahhhh, I see.

So its time to focus on the team aspect.

Sure, I have said all a long that the TEAM didn't win the game.

Once posters stop trying to make it a player or Tua exclusive issue, then we can have legit conversations about this.

But again, nothing the offense did, or didn't do is responsible for a defense giving up 15 points in the last 4 minutes of regulation to lose the game.

I'll 100% agree, Tua the offense didn't necessarily do what they needed to win the game. But they did provide a 14 point lead thanks to defensive TOS.

But the offense did not lose that game as, again, they converted the TOS into points and gave the defense a lead thar 767 prior defenses did not lose in that scenario.

Ahhhh, I see.

So its time to focus on the team aspect.

Sure, I have said all a long that the TEAM didn't win the game.

Once posters stop trying to make it a player or Tua exclusive issue, then we can have legit conversations about this.

But again, nothing the offense did, or didn't do is responsible for a defense giving up 15 points in the last 4 minutes of regulation to lose the game.

I'll 100% agree, Tua the offense didn't necessarily do what they needed to win the game. But they did provide a 14 point lead thanks to defensive TOS.

But the offense did not lose that game as, again, they converted the TOS into points and gave the defense a lead thar 767 prior defenses did not lose in that scenario.
Semantics. Like I said, a lot of blame to go around on both sides of the ball for losing that game. I don't give Tua and the offense a pass though. I seem to recall we also needed them to just get a first down or two in order to put the Raiders away, they did not and the Raiders were soon on the doorstep of the go ahead winning TD only to be picked off by Ramsey. Our offense absolutely needs to learn how to control the clock and put teams away when they have that opportunity late in games we are leading. We have not shown that ability. But defense was atrocious too when they weren't scoring TD's.

Exactly right. And an element the Chiefs really miss.

I can hear someone now “what do you mean they miss him? They just won the SB a few days ago and now 2 in a row WITHOUT him?”

Yes they did. But anybody that actually followed the NFL in depth, and especially the Chiefs, realize how much more explosive they were offensively (before that trade) and how close they came to NOT winning this season and last. Had they still had Tyreek, they may not have struggled as much and had an easier path to winning.

Let’s be real. The Chiefs offense struggled most the season. And they struggled mightily in the SB, too. If not for the unforced and lucky turnover that changed the game, it’s very doubtful the Chiefs would have won on Sunday (or in several other games this past season). Part of the reason is their offense is now mediocre sans Mahomes and sometimes Kelce.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins have become, arguably, the top offensive in the league the past 2 seasons. In 2023 they led the league in total yards and passing yards, and were #6 in rushing yards and #2 in scoring.

What held them back was health on the offensive line, and defensively.

I’d make the argument that given the same health as KC on the offensive line, if you swapped KC’s defense with Miami’s defense — the Dolphins would have won the SB. Or at least seriously would have threatened to win it.

There’s no way I can undersell the impact of Tyreek Hill or the trade because the Dolphins defense wasn’t near as good as the Chiefs nor did they come close to the same level of health and consistency on the offensive line.

Those two things really were the difference as far as I can tell.

Now, if the Dolphins have a capable and relatively healthy line and their defense performs anywhere close to the same level as the Chiefs next season and they don’t win or seriously threaten to win the SB — then I’ll declare the Dolphins a loser in that trade.

But right now? No chance. They’re fielding a top offense. If they get their act together defensively and finally receive some luck health wise — the narrative will suddenly change with most lauding that trade, along with the Tunsil trade that set the table as well.
But look at the assets acquired with those picks for Reek, they made their team better. fast forward to the last sentence...

The Chiefs are 7-0 in the playoffs since trading Tyreek Hill​

renderTimingPixel.png

The trade sent Hill to the Dolphins in exchange for:
2022 first-round pick, second-round pick, and fourth-round pick, 2023 fourth-round pick and sixth-round pick
These picks ultimately resulted in the Chiefs getting: Trent McDuffie, Rashee Rice (via trading one of the Dolphins' picks), Skyy Moore, Darian Kinnard, and Keondre Coburn. Source.
Rice and McDuffie are arguably both Pro Bowl-caliber players, and although Skyy Moore has been disappointing this season, he's still young and has the potential to be a passable depth piece. Losing Tyreek also forced Mahomes to learn to take what the defense gives him, and not go for the deep ball every play, which has helped him develop into the QB he is today.

Back
Top Bottom