UNC, Butch reportedly reach agreement.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UNC, Butch reportedly reach agreement..

UF Fin Kat said:
where do prospects from north carolina generally go?

Well you know where Leak went..

McClendon and Mario Williams went to NC State, Massaquoi and Cox went to Georgia. Nicholson went to FSU.

NC State seems to get most of the local prospects.

Good signing.It should turn that UNC football program around.

Keeping the local prospects at home will be a big step.

It's never good for a coach to take a job at a school where his sport isn't the main sport. UNC is, was, and always will be a basketball school first.

WITH THAT SAID, I think Butch did the right thing. The ACC is weak. FSU is down. Miami is dead. And UNC has top facilities and he can turn things around there and become a good football school in that conference. WIth FSU down and Miami dead that conference is there for the taking (long-term wise). Butch can build them up to be a force year in adn year out in a weak ACC.

Good decision by Butch.

UF Fin Kat said:
so much for my MSU scoop. :cry:

great hire by UNC...miami needs to go full-blast after schiano now.

Schiano will not leave Rutgers in the next couple of years. New Jersey kids are starting to stay at home, and he's getting guys from PA and New York

Marino2Clayton said:
HysterikiLL said:
Okay, so being ****ing RivalsQUOTE]

Rivals is the sole reason for having an internet connection.

I love Rivals man, don't get me wrong. I only meant it in the sense that I can never read any articles because I have to pay for the damn subscription. I spend a lot of tie on there every day though learning about recruits.

doesnt sound like this is a complete done deal yet, though Butch has ruled out returning to Miami

Davis had expressed interest in a return to Miami in the past, but sources said on Friday night that the coach dismissed the possibility of a return to the university.

Davis also is near the top of the list of candidates to replace John L. Smith at Michigan State, but a source close to Davis says he considers North Carolina to be the more attractive position.

I think he ends up at UNC still, just not official yet. I thought it was kind of odd that his name never came up during the game today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2648903

ChambersWI said:
Schiano will not leave Rutgers in the next couple of years. New Jersey kids are starting to stay at home, and he's getting guys from PA and New York

1) You can never win a national title at Rutgers
2) A Miami or Mich St can pay him more $$$$$$$
3) He has Miami roots and runs football camps in Florida still to this day
4) You won't go from Rutgers to the NFL. You can go from U ofMiami or a MIch St to the NFL. Rutgers is a "starter job". A larger school is a "stepping stone" job to the NFL.

I still think Schiano to Miami. But if not he won't be there in 2 years, he will bolt somewhere.

305TillIDie said:
:yes:

I hope Paul Dee and President Donna Shalalalalalalalalala do it

I would'nt hold my breath on that one.
I don't see Shalala backing a hard push for anything that has to do with the football program.
I've heard a lot of troubling stuff from a buddy that is a very big booster.

I hope it's all misinformation but we'll see.
How UM handles the program this offseason will tell you all you need to know about where the admin stands as far as supporting it's success.

I haven't read anything about Davis committing to UNC yet so this all seems a bit premature on the Butch to UNC front.

The only reason I am iffy on Butch is that I dont know if he wants to coach in college . . . I think he would much rather be back in the NFL. HOwever he is gonna have to bring some magic back into a program like he did at Miami. I would love for him to come back here, but not at the expense of him leaving in a few years to jump back to the NFL.

ChambersWI said:

Schiano is definitely going to leave, he'd be stupid to stay. his stock is as high as it will get w/ Rutgers being overranked thanks to being unbeaten against a weak HS schedule.

DonShula84 said:
doesnt sound like this is a complete done deal yet, though Butch has ruled out returning to Miami

I think he ends up at UNC still, just not official yet. I thought it was kind of odd that his name never came up during the game today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2648903

Nothing is official until it's announced. back in '00 we heard Roy was a done deal to coach the basketball team and he stayed at kansas then the same thing w/ Frank beamer the next year and he stayed at Va tech.

Butch might have something in place for the Cowboys job. Maybe he told UNC I gotta wait and see if I am offered the Cowboys job before he commits to UNC.

Parcells is done after this year and Butch is one name on a short list for that job.

Something else to consider

Davis was a lousy pro coach....I don't know why anyone would hire him. He excels at one thing, recruiting. He consistantly brought in top classes to Miami and just had more talent than everyone else. Everyone is trying to get Coker fired.....look what he did with Butch's talent. But like we have seen with Brown in Texas and while he was at UNC, coaches who recruit and hire competent coordinators can go a long ways.

As for the "basketball school" label, its nonsense. UNC may be known more for its basketball team nationally but its the football squad that makes the coin. And one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find carolina squads that were better than their hoops counterparts.

Ferretsquig said:
Davis was a lousy pro coach....I don't know why anyone would hire him. He excels at one thing, recruiting. He consistantly brought in top classes to Miami and just had more talent than everyone else. Everyone is trying to get Coker fired.....look what he did with Butch's talent. But like we have seen with Brown in Texas and while he was at UNC, coaches who recruit and hire competent coordinators can go a long ways.

As for the "basketball school" label, its nonsense. UNC may be known more for its basketball team nationally but its the football squad that makes the coin. And one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find carolina squads that were better than their hoops counterparts.

Belichick was a lousy pro coach his first go-around as well. :shakeno: :shakeno:

and Butch DID take the Cleveland Browns to the playoffs. He wasn't that awful

Ferretsquig said:

He didn't do a terrible job in Cleveland, people forget he guided them to the playoffs in '02 and no Cle coach before or since(since they came back in '99) has come close to doing that.

There weren't many UNC FB teams better than the basketball team except maybe the '01-'02 schol year when the heels were terrible in BB. The best heels football teams were '96 and '97('96-'97 school year and '97-'98) and UNC BB made the FF in both of those school years.

Back
Top Bottom