UNC, Butch reportedly reach agreement.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UNC, Butch reportedly reach agreement..

What Butch did a terrible job of and what I think truely seperates college from pro coaches is talent evaluation. He ruined that team. Coaches like Belichick have the ability to pick players that will fit into their schemes and that they can coach. College coaches just go after the top athletes. If you listen to the two talk you can understand why one is a great pro and the other a great college coach. Butch is a suave salesman, and a great recruiter.

As for UNC basketball vs football predominance, it has shifted in the last couple decades when Dean was getting every recruit he wanted and the last decade of turmoil in the football program. But the reason the alumni and fanbase is still very large, and the reason the contributions keep flooding in, is the two decades prior. This isn't a school like Miami....tradition looms large. And the memory of a great football program is still in the minds of alumni from that time period. It just so happens those are the ones currently head of the Rams club, which pays 3/4 of the coach's salary and contributes millions to the athletic programs campus wide.

How did Butch ruin that team?? He was the ONLY one to take them to the playoffs since they have been back

And Belichick was labled as a bad "pro" coach way back in the day after he failed at his first NFL Job

MikeO said:
How did Butch ruin that team?? He was the ONLY one to take them to the playoffs since they have been back

And Belichick was labled as a bad "pro" coach way back in the day after he failed at his first NFL Job

Im not sure if Butch had total control the whole time..but that team drafted worse than anyone I have ever seen up until the past two years.....needless to say whoever was making the personell decisions "ruined" the team.

MikeO said:

You can label Belichick whatever you want. Noone has ever questioned his ability to coach defense or find players on that side of the ball.

Butch Davis ruined the team.....total destruction. All by himself. If you are ever depressed about a phins draft go look at his record over 4 years. These were high first round picks.....you want to guess how many starters there are for the Browns out of those 39 picks? I mean most people can randomly pick out of a hat and find more talent than he did.

Ferretsquig said:
What Butch did a terrible job of and what I think truely seperates college from pro coaches is talent evaluation. He ruined that team. Coaches like Belichick have the ability to pick players that will fit into their schemes and that they can coach. College coaches just go after the top athletes. If you listen to the two talk you can understand why one is a great pro and the other a great college coach. Butch is a suave salesman, and a great recruiter.

keep in mind Belichick was a complete failure his first time around w/ Cle in the arly-mis 90s. To write off a coach after 1 job- he did a better job than people think- is a mistake.

DBoston80 said:
Im not sure if Butch had total control the whole time..but that team drafted worse than anyone I have ever seen up until the past two years.....needless to say whoever was making the personell decisions "ruined" the team.

he did have complete control. What hurt him though was after William Green's rookie year (which was pretty good), Green rarely saw the field, and then Lee Suggs kept getting hurt. Also, he never had a QB or a go to WR.

Their 04 draft class did not give them much production has rookies, same with their 03 class (though Faine is having a great year in New Orleans)

Ferretsquig said:
You can label Belichick whatever you want. Noone has ever questioned his ability to coach defense or find players on that side of the ball.

THEY DID IN CLEVELAND back in the day!!!!!!!!!!

Ferretsquig said:
Butch Davis ruined the team.....total destruction. All by himself. If you are ever depressed about a phins draft go look at his record over 4 years. These were high first round picks.....you want to guess how many starters there are for the Browns out of those 39 picks? I mean most people can randomly pick out of a hat and find more talent than he did.

And Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark had nothing to do with that???

Please, go read up on your NFL history when it comes to this subject!!!

MikeO said:

They did leave Butch w/ Tim Couch as the QB, davis not only made the postseason w/ Cle but did so w/ Tim Couch as the starter for 14 games.

MikeO said:

How many of those great players he drafted are starting for the Browns?

Ferretsquig said:
How many of those great players he drafted are starting for the Browns?

it's not his fault those players succeeded elsewhere afetr he left. In '01 he drafted gerard Warren who was a solid player in Cle and now is on Den, Quincy Morgan who was a good WR under Davis, Anthony henry who has been a startersince his 2nd yr. In '02 he drafted William Green who started out well, Andre davis who was a good WR under davis. In '03 he drafted jeff faine hwo has been a starter from day 1(now on NO), Lee suggs who was good when healthy. in '04 he selected kellen Winslow who now healthy is proving why he was taken so high, Sean jones who killed us 2 weeks ago and is starting for the first time this year. That's not a bad job and he wouldn't be a GM w/ another NFL team, alot of good-great coaches struggle as GM like parcells, holmgren, Shanahan for years until last year when he finally did some good things, ...

Ferretsquig said:
Heres a task then. Name me one team that got less out of a four year span of drafting.

I can do it. Just go check out Parcell's drafts from '97-'99 w/ the jets. it's only 3 years but have a glance. I'll look up other teams later but i know fro a fact that his drafts were MUCH better than our drafts under BP.

I hope it's true that UNC got him. I'm a Tarheel fan. Not a huge Tarheel football fan (huge basketball). UNC football doesn't really give much to get excited about. Davis could change that.

Back
Top Bottom