Universaldraft.com's Updated Mock Draft 4/4/09 - 2 Rounds | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Universaldraft.com's Updated Mock Draft 4/4/09 - 2 Rounds

There is no way Harvin falls that far.:rolleyes2:

:lol:

Of course not, there's no chance, no one ever falls, ever. I love the rolling eyes though. Nice touch.

Any player can fall for any reason, happens every year. Some guy will inexplicably fall whilst another guy will be a reach. Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers,...........hell even Donald Thomas was rated 2 rounds higher than he was taken as an example.

Everyone loves Harvin on message boards, but how good is he really? He's a highly unpolished receiver who may be a luxury pick for many teams. He's certainly not a player with a real position, because he didn't even have one in college. I mean do you value that guy, who will need a lot of work more than a guy who has played a position for years, and you don't have to teach him the basics. Coupled with him having a position that routinely sees a high degree of busts and it could see him fall. Is he going to play 20+ snaps a game at this stage? If not, then you're really taking a part time player pretty early. Is he going to start for the team that takes him and by passes players like Kenny Britt along the way? The 20 snaps thing may mislead you, but if that guy is gonna play 20+, and there is an injury to another player at the same position, then do you put Harvin as the starter? How many people would be comfortable with that.

Ginn was far more polished than Harvin, and everyone said he was raw, and still is. Ginn should have been taken later than he was. Is Harving a better propsect than Ginn, as a wide receiver?

Who takes him? And why? Seriously?

I don't like having Maclin where he is, but I can't see the Jags taking a corner that high, no defensive tackle, no linebacker............quarterback maybe, but that isn't great either. At least he was used more as a wide receiver than Harvin, and he's raw as all hell. I even have Nicks going pretty high, is Harvin better than Nicks?

Is he explosive? Yes. Is he a good player? Yeah. But is he really worth a first rounder?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the mock it says Arizona traded for Grant. I don't see that anywhere does someone have a link.

I really don't like this mock. Too many questionable picks. I'll break it down:

Orakpo drafted before Curry? I highly doubt it.

Hakeem Nicks drafted way up there at pick # 17? I think that is a major reach there for the 5th or 6th best WR.

Sean Smith to Miami at #25? As a Dolphins fan, I would be pissed if this happened. I like Smith, but not this high in the draft.

Tyson Jackon falls all the way to #26? Jackson is the most NFL ready 3-4 end in the draft. He should be long gone by the 26th pick.

Rey Maualuga falls all the way to #32? No way in hell he slides this far.

Andre Smith falls to #41? No injuries, no banned substance abuse, and he slides all the way to #41. Seriously?

Brandon Pettigrew falls to #42? Another big slide that just doesn't make sense. Why the slide to #42?

Clint Sintim to #48? Maybe.

Larry English to #50? His work-out numbers are terrible, but he can flat-out play football. Maybe he slips through the cracks and falls to #50, but I'm not buying it.

Every year, there are a couple of reaches and a couple of slides, so maybe there will be one or two hits in this mock, but this mock is pure chaos.

In the mock it says Arizona traded for Grant. I don't see that anywhere does someone have a link.

Does it? I'll fix it. It was going to be a reference to an April fools' joke that was done by a Pack fan I know. He sent out E-mails saying it had been done. I was going to include it, but thought against it, just didn't clean it up all the way.

Thanks though.

The thing that sticks out the most is #18. With all the wholes on that Denver D I can't see them taking Jenkins. If Jackson's there I think they would take him over Jenkins.

The thing that sticks out the most is #18. With all the wholes on that Denver D I can't see them taking Jenkins. If Jackson's there I think they would take him over Jenkins.

I wrestled with that one too. However I looked at the fact they did sign 2 defensive ends, although journeyman.

Their depth chart has no one, and I mean no one behind Bailey and Goodman both of whom are 31 or older this year. They need someone, and one of the best corners is sitting tight there. They have 2 picks in the third and may use one on Corvey Irvin, Alex Magee although Irvin may be a reach.

It could go either way, but I think Jenkins is better overall prospect. It will take more than one year to build a 3-4 front considering what they already had in place. Getting pieces in place on two levels in the first two rounds does help though.

I really don't like this mock. Too many questionable picks. I'll break it down:

Orakpo drafted before Curry? I highly doubt it.

Hakeem Nicks drafted way up there at pick # 17? I think that is a major reach there for the 5th or 6th best WR.

Sean Smith to Miami at #25? As a Dolphins fan, I would be pissed if this happened. I like Smith, but not this high in the draft.

Tyson Jackon falls all the way to #26? Jackson is the most NFL ready 3-4 end in the draft. He should be long gone by the 26th pick.

Rey Maualuga falls all the way to #32? No way in hell he slides this far.

Andre Smith falls to #41? No injuries, no banned substance abuse, and he slides all the way to #41. Seriously?

Brandon Pettigrew falls to #42? Another big slide that just doesn't make sense. Why the slide to #42?

Clint Sintim to #48? Maybe.

Larry English to #50? His work-out numbers are terrible, but he can flat-out play football. Maybe he slips through the cracks and falls to #50, but I'm not buying it.

Every year, there are a couple of reaches and a couple of slides, so maybe there will be one or two hits in this mock, but this mock is pure chaos.

3-4 defensive ends are valued less than outside linebackers and pass rushers - which I'm sure you knew. Jenkins gets the nod based on the fact there is no one behind Goodman or Bailey, and I mean no one. One of the best corners on the board out values Jackson there I think. Could go jackson, but out of the two, I think I can find a decent 5 technique end later on.

I don't how anyone can say Nicks is the 5th or 6th best receiver in this draft. I really can't, let me guess Heyward-Bey and Harvin are in front of him in your mind? Neither are anywhere close to the receiver Nicks is.

I don't think Andre Smith is a great left tackle prospect, he's probably going to end up on the right side. Therefore he slips. Plus with his getting suspended, disappearing at the Combine with no reason and underwhelming wt his pro day I think he will slide. You can't do all of that and not have it affect you some how. Right now, he's the only one that has been confirmed to have set himself back.

Pettigrew ran a 4.8........not exactly great, and hard to squeeze into the first round as a blocking tight end. He'll struggle to gain separation - think Bubba Franks except he can block a bit better.

Maualuga you could have a beef with, but he misses a great deal of holes and is not exactly the most instinctive player around. He's good, but he's not that good. Middle linebackers tend to fall a bit becuase of the value placed on the position. This year's class is thin, but it doesn;'t have anyone even close to a Patrick Willis in it. Maualuga may get to San Diego, but do they really need him after signing Burnett? Maybe they need help, but in round 1? Washington, not over defensive end or tackle. Not in Buffalo, Houston, or Tampa, or NYJ, not in NO, not it Detroit at 20 with no left tackle to protect their new quarterback. Take Maualuga at #20 over a left tackle? Not in atlanta, maybe New England if Barwin goes way early. Maybe Baltimore, but Rey isn't good at coverage, not a good replacement for Bart Scott, but I could seeit maybe..........so that's #26. I'm not saying the guy is a bad player, but he probably won't go in the top 20 as most of teams there don't actaully need a middle linebacker that greatly....there are no wide open holes.

English and Sintim are 2nd rounders, Sintim for a much as I love him is a 2 down player in many ways, and English hasn't tested well, and is a little short for an typcial outside linebacker in a 3-4. He could rise, but right now, he's fallen due to his workouts. Guys who don't test well will see a drop, and less than 1 round fall is not that bad for a guy that ran a 4.8

3-4 defensive ends are valued less than outside linebackers and pass rushers - which I'm sure you knew. Jenkins gets the nod based on the fact there is no one behind Goodman or Bailey, and I mean no one. One of the best corners on the board out values Jackson there I think. Could go jackson, but out of the two, I think I can find a decent 5 technique end later on.
Don't you think you could find a serviceable nickle back in the middle rounds? Also I know this is a weak draft for CB's at the top but do you really think no one will take a flyer on a Cb before #18. Last year 5 cbs were gone by 25?

Don't you think you could find a serviceable nickle back in the middle rounds? Also I know this is a weak draft for CB's at the top but do you really think no one will take a flyer on a Cb before #18. Last year 5 cbs were gone by 25?

Well, those corners last year were way ahead of most of these guys. If Alphonso Smith was 5'10'' or taller, he'd probably be in the first easily too. Only two players were taken before 18 last year and those two were Rogers-Cromartie and McElvin both of whom had great ability break on the ball, better than many of the players this year.

Jenkins is not that explosive, in comparison, nor is he as good man to man. Davis is a bit of a "problem child" and Butler is a guest at run support and tackling. It could happen, but if it does, it probably won't happen too much earlier than 18.

Just remember you're the only one that thinks you are.

I said I don't know how anyone can say that, I never said you were crazy, those are your words. I don't agree with it. Never have, never will. I don't think Stafford is the best pick at #1, but after Cutler being traded, it changes things. I don't see anything that has either Heyward-Bey or Harvin ahead of him in terms of being a receiver. They are faster, but that does not have much to do with being a better receiver. Ask Troy Williamson, speed is great if you know how to use it, but I don't agree that either Heyward-Bey or Harvin are better.

Britt is pretty close, I'll say that. They're probably one in the same, but the other two, not in my book. What is it that they do better than Nicks or Britt for that matter?

Run faster?

Also, just for fun you should check back if you can and see where a player like Fili Moala was ranked. That guy was overrated for a long time, yet according to all of those sites he was a sure first rounder. He never played like it. Obviously players move up and down, and they have just as much chance to be right as I do. Just because they have them ranked that way doesn't mean much to me personally. I don't think either of those two players, Bey nor Harvin are better than Nicks. Maclin may be rated higher because of his versatility and abiltity to return kicks and punts, but I'm not a fan of him at #8, but at this time I don't know where they may go, so he fills a need. Chnaces are, he doesn't go there.

I also remember Dwayne Bowe, a few players were ahead of him in terms of ratings, but many people could see he was the best receiver in that draft class. Robert Meacham and Ted Ginn were rated ahead of him. Neither has produced the same, and both were rated higher due to speed ( or at least a good bit of it). The same happens with corners, the slower players drop a bit, and the faster ones rise, but it doesn't make them better players.

Nicks is better than either Harvin or Heyward-Bey, at least to me.

Just remember you're the only one that thinks you are.

I said I don't know how anyone can say that. I don't agree with it. Never have, never will. I don't think Stafford is the best pick at #1, but after Cutler being traded, it changes things. I don't see anything that has either Heyward-Bey or Harvin ahead of him in terms of being a receiver. They are faster, but that does not have much to do with being a better receiver. Ask Troy Williamson, speed is great if you know how to use it, but I don't agree that either Heyward-Bey or Harvin are better.

Britt is pretty close, I'll say that. They're probably one in the same, but the other two, not in my book. What is it that they do better than Nicks or Britt for that matter?

Run faster?

Actually, I'm not that big on Harvin either. If you asked me for my WR rankings, it would be as follows:

1. Crabtree
2. Maclin
3. Heyward-Bey
4. Britt
5. Nicks
6. Harvin

I think Kenny Britt is better than Nicks and is the best fit for Miami. He is a bigger target at 6'3", stronger, harder to tackle, and a better jumpball WR.

And my original point was that Nicks at #17 is a reach, and I stand by that statement.

I wonder though if there is any real truth to these though. The news has been refuted that anyone tested positive for banned substances at the Combine, that was on Sirius radio I believe.

Raji, is not a real true nose tackle though. He's almost more of a one gap penetrator than anything else.

http://www.universaldraft.com/B._J.html

Just watch his game, and see when he disappears as opposed to when he makes plays. He is not a quintessential nose tackle. The Broncos couls wait and try to get a guy like Dorrell Scott, (if the think he'll be there with their first choice in the third round) who'm we took, Terrance Taylor or Vance Walker is an option as well in the next two rounds or so.

Actually the agents for the players are disputing the news...the NFL and the teams don't know yet. The reports don't come out till a week before the draft...and only after the players get the news just before.

So we will have to wait.

I like the first pick of Sean Smith. With that first second round pick I could see the team going either way with Kruger or Sintim. I prefer, Sintim.

Back
Top Bottom