Video- every Tannehill throw vs the Jets | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Video- every Tannehill throw vs the Jets

I count three passes where he stared down his targets. When he rolls out his options are bunched closer together so he can see everything in front of him. Obviously in 3 step drops his throw is determined pre-snap. Really not sure about this issue of staring down his targets is coming from. There are several throws where his accuracy is horrible. But the biggest issue is the tight windows he has to throw into because his targets don't get separation.
If Tannehill is locking on to either the left or right half of the field there is a problem there. If you only saw him stare down his target 3 times, then we saw very different things. If his throws in 3 step drops are predetermined and he never deviates, even if the coverage on his intended target is tight and the throw if made could be easily intercpeted- then Tannehill and the Dolphins offense are going to have problems. What you describe above, including receivers bunched together, sounds like a lousy passing offense to me. On a roll out you would want receivers mainly flowing with the QB in his direction, but "bunched together" sounds not good to me.

i've looked at every rookie qbs games...and i'd still take him the 2nd one of the lot...how long can washington continue to run griffin to contact with 12 carries a game as a runner??? weeden i'm sorry but in 4 years tannys the better looking player to me...hell i'd take him right now...weeden can't elude pressure at all...wilson ehhh the seahawks didn't even have him throw a ball 10 yards against the pack other than the double move easy read and throw td and the last drive of the game...hawks d gonna have to stand on it's head if they're gonna play it that close to the vest going forward to keep that team in games...i don't think you guys realize how much they ask tanny to do presnap and at the los recognition wise and with this option route system...kids been damn impressive...and we've barely scratched the surface of his athleticism at the position

I don't know how you can watch the film and not come to the conclusion that Tannehill is at the MINIMUM guilty of cutting the field in half, almost never scanning on the opposite side of the field when he locks on to his primary target, and he's making life much easier for opposing defenses. They would be idiots if they didn't follow his eyes. If Tannehill stops reading defenses just before snap and goes on auto pilot, doing nothing in terms of looking off Safeties, pump fakes, etc.- defenses will feast off of him, especially when you consider how bad his WRs are at creating separation and making plays. Recipe for disaster. How I would rate them:

1. Luck
2. RGIII
3. Wilson
4. Weeden
5. Tannehill

Weeden has crappy WRs, too. If Little and Benjamin held on to what should have been 2 impressive TD passes then Weeden throws for around 400 yards, the Browns probably beat the Ravens and Weeden is one of the week's heroes. I like Wilson, but I look for Weeden to start outperforming him soon. Weeden has made the bigger mistakes early, but he also has two 300 yard passing games to go along with his big, accurate arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
weedens got a nasty habit of throwing high over the middle to his intermediate targets...the kind of throws that get your guys ribs exposed to safetys and lbs roaming the middle...threw high all over the place against the ravens...ravens d isn't as formidable as it used to be cause they don't have a consistent win pass rusher on the outside with suggs out...no one has stepped up and filled that roll and produced...til suggs comes back the ravens d is gonna continue to get exposed...weeden also throws with bad ball placement underneath at times back shoulder on slant routes or to the inside shoulder on out routes which is a recipe for disaster...that said he's shown off toughness in the pocket to stand in and deliver and his vertical accuracy has been terrific...marginal athlete though so if you can make him have to get off his landmark and reset his feet or elude pressure he's quite marginalized...

russell wilson...unless they open it up good luck winning consistently in this league playing so conservative on offense...they're treating the kid with training wheels...week 3 as a starter i expected to see a bit more throws in the intermediate range not that stuff i saw monday night...barely threw the ball 10 yards 90 percent of the game...that kids height is gonna be an issue also...the seahawks are gonna waste 3 years finding out this eagle scout isn't good enough to get them over the hump...

the only thing the skins are doing with how they're playing rg3 is taking shelf life off the kid...way way too damn much contact...keep running him shanny ha ha

as for tannehill i don't think he's locking into things as much as many say...i see his head in the middle of the field in his drop i see head movement from side to side...what i think is that he's making a lot of really proper reads pre and post snap coverage wise and as such throwing the ball to the correct target...i don't see cutting off half the field at all unless you're tallking about roll outs and what not in which case yeah he's gonna read half the field primarily...if this kid was locking into things as much as many lead you to believe he's have a lot more than just one int to date where he made the wrong decision...guys would be jumping things getting hands on balls like lbs and safetys and we haven't seen much of that... i see a lot of excellent pre and post snap decisions and a guy who is really setting up his protections well...far more advanced than i ever expected in all those things...

weedens got a nasty habit of throwing high over the middle to his intermediate targets...the kind of throws that get your guys ribs exposed to safetys and lbs roaming the middle...threw high all over the place against the ravens...ravens d isn't as formidable as it used to be cause they don't have a consistent win pass rusher on the outside with suggs out...no one has stepped up and filled that roll and produced...til suggs comes back the ravens d is gonna continue to get exposed...weeden also throws with bad ball placement underneath at times back shoulder on slant routes or to the inside shoulder on out routes which is a recipe for disaster...that said he's shown off toughness in the pocket to stand in and deliver and his vertical accuracy has been terrific...marginal athlete though so if you can make him have to get off his landmark and reset his feet or elude pressure he's quite marginalized...

russell wilson...unless they open it up good luck winning consistently in this league playing so conservative on offense...they're treating the kid with training wheels...week 3 as a starter i expected to see a bit more throws in the intermediate range not that stuff i saw monday night...barely threw the ball 10 yards 90 percent of the game...that kids height is gonna be an issue also...the seahawks are gonna waste 3 years finding out this eagle scout isn't good enough to get them over the hump...

the only thing the skins are doing with how they're playing rg3 is taking shelf life off the kid...way way too damn much contact...keep running him shanny ha ha

as for tannehill i don't think he's locking into things as much as many say...i see his head in the middle of the field in his drop i see head movement from side to side...what i think is that he's making a lot of really proper reads pre and post snap coverage wise and as such throwing the ball to the correct target...i don't see cutting off half the field at all unless you're tallking about roll outs and what not in which case yeah he's gonna read half the field primarily...if this kid was locking into things as much as many lead you to believe he's have a lot more than just one int to date where he made the wrong decision...guys would be jumping things getting hands on balls like lbs and safetys and we haven't seen much of that... i see a lot of excellent pre and post snap decisions and a guy who is really setting up his protections well...far more advanced than i ever expected in all those things...

I think that there's definitely some validity to your points about Weeden, but the guy should have had 2TDs and 400 yards against Baltimore. And before that another 300 yard game, not bad. I think that he'll continue to improve.

RGIII- bottom line he's playing well, he's an intelligent and well spoken kid which is nice to see. I hope that he stays healthy, we'll see.

Russell Wilson- he's a good game manager and they'll gradually give him more rope and leeway as the season goes on. Good not great arm, highly mobile. Dude is a winner. I can't say that I'm rooting for him after that Monday night debacle, but I think that he'll do well- he's not the type to lose games through rookie/bonehead plays, and I think that he'll help Seattle quite a bit.

Tannehill- the short version is that the video clip showed me this: Tannehill scans the field pre snap, chooses one side of the field to look at, then without exception (what I saw) or with very few exceptions he focuses on that side of the field, period. That's what I saw. Look at the Jets defenders reading his eyes. To me that spells trouble- just my opinion, we'll see what happens. Dude has a lot of talent, I'm hoping that he lives up to expectations.

i just watched that entire video...i see a guy identifying coverages very damn well and making quick pre post snap solid decisions on where to go...there's hardly any evidence of the ball into coverage...just about all those throws are where he has one on ones...a lot of the other plays he's just going with the design of the play like he should...no ones getting the jump on the kid

in the tight red yeah he's rushing some things but you got to make even quicker decisions as the field condences...pretty funny that the person who put that video together points out bess free crossiing the endzone but tannys already rolling out to the right seems like a lot to me to ask the kid to scan the other side of the field for a open option at this stage of things...and even then qbs once they roll out don't usually throw back across their bodies it's a major no no in pro football...

all i can say is tough crowd fellas...that kids doing really well all things considered...i love the decision making so far

and damn was that drop by armstrong on the inbreaking route a big play opportunity missed...the safety is too flat on the play the balls behind him if armstrong catches that he's gone for 6..perfect call for the perfect coverage...executed by everyone but the damn wr securing the catch...that trail corner can't tackle him given that distance to make up and armstrongs wheels...that's a td we should have had...damn you armstrong

and damn was that drop by armstrong on the inbreaking route a big play opportunity missed...the safety is too flat on the play the balls behind him if armstrong catches that he's gone for 6..perfect call for the perfect coverage...executed by everyone but the damn wr securing the catch...that trail corner can't tackle him given that distance to make up and armstrongs wheels...that's a td we should have had...damn you armstrong

Hoops always like reading your insights. Whats the odds of the Dolphins trying one of their younger WR in place of some of the struggling receivers?

Hoops always like reading your insights. Whats the odds of the Dolphins trying one of their younger WR in place of some of the struggling receivers?

probably not good right now...only change i could really see is mathews in for naanee...but it seems like slim at this point...if armstrong keeps dropping the ball they may cut him but this o given the wr core lack of big play ability and run after the catch needs a speed element to help keep the safeties honest...armstrongs leash at this point is probably longer than it should be...hard to bring in a guy off the street and expect him to help you in a few weeks...and even harder when it comes to getting on the same page with your qb in a option route system

i just watched that entire video...i see a guy identifying coverages very damn well and making quick pre post snap solid decisions on where to go...there's hardly any evidence of the ball into coverage...just about all those throws are where he has one on ones...a lot of the other plays he's just going with the design of the play like he should...no ones getting the jump on the kid

in the tight red yeah he's rushing some things but you got to make even quicker decisions as the field condences...pretty funny that the person who put that video together points out bess free crossiing the endzone but tannys already rolling out to the right seems like a lot to me to ask the kid to scan the other side of the field for a open option at this stage of things...and even then qbs once they roll out don't usually throw back across their bodies it's a major no no in pro football...

all i can say is tough crowd fellas...that kids doing really well all things considered...i love the decision making so far

How can he be making correct post snap reads when he rarely if ever scans the whole field? If they dumbed down the offense that much we might as well have Matt Moore in there. As to that Bess play, he looked more open than he really was because the DB covering was by the goal line shifting weight as that photo was taken and was just about headed toward to Bess- the video shows that clearly. That play is a non event to me, irrelevant. In that case he was rolling out, big deal.

Almost invariably he's fixated on the general area of where he's going to throw, flat out ignoring huge chunks of the field. If that is proper decision making to you, when there is no way that he can be going through all of his progressions, then I simply disagree. You love his decision making so far? He has more IINTs returned for TDs than pass TDs, right? He has issues with batted down balls- why is that? Lowest QBR in the league? Hmmm... I would call that a result of crappy WRs who can't separate and crappy decision making by a QB who is unwilling or unable to scan the entire field and go through proper progressions.

As to your comment that "no one is getting the jump on the kid"- uh, ok. Houston literally got the jump on him knocking down passes. The INTs, the INTs returned for TDs. The low completion percentage. The bottom of the barrel QBR rating. Good luck with that one, and good luck with Tannehill going up against a very good, aggressive defense. Patrick Peterson and the rest of that secondary might have a field day against him.

If a QB isn't going thorough the proper progressions and scanning the whole field, he's not doing what he should be. He's playing checkers when he should be playing chess. That was the book on him in college and that's the book on him now. And that's certainly what I saw when I went through that video twice. Pretty much every throw that Tannehill made in the Jets game he showed the same tendency- lock on to one side of the field, don't even bother looking the other way. That is no way to go about playing QB, and that's imo a big part of why his QBR is the bottom of the barrel.

I did notice him going through his progressions and scanning all the way from left to right in the Oakland game so he is capable of it. From that video the Jets looked to blitzing on almost every play and we have a rookie at RT and not the greatest RG so I'm not too concerned yet.

Jim still pushing yur agenda. Im sorry bud. But as of yet, im impressed. No he hasnt been perfect. But i see wH more to be excited about with Tannehill. Than things to nitpick apart. So im gonna keep cheering and keep hoping he improves and cleans up what needs cleaning.

If Tannehill is locking on to either the left or right half of the field there is a problem there. If you only saw him stare down his target 3 times, then we saw very different things. If his throws in 3 step drops are predetermined and he never deviates, even if the coverage on his intended target is tight and the throw if made could be easily intercpeted- then Tannehill and the Dolphins offense are going to have problems. What you describe above, including receivers bunched together, sounds like a lousy passing offense to me. On a roll out you would want receivers mainly flowing with the QB in his direction, but "bunched together" sounds not good to me.
Bunched together is bad terminology. My mistake. They do roll with him narrowing his scope so unless you are on the field in front of him you really have no idea where or who he is looking at. In a three step drop the target is determined pre snap depending on what the defense gives him. His decision making on where to go has been excellent and dont forget, he has played 2 very good defenses and schemes.

Again, not sure why you are implying he stares down his targets problematically when it just isn't so.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this because of a missed kick. Watch every throw by Sanchez and he looked like the rookie.

Kid has played 3 NFL games and put us in position to win a few times.

Jim still pushing yur agenda. Im sorry bud. But as of yet, im impressed. No he hasnt been perfect. But i see wH more to be excited about with Tannehill. Than things to nitpick apart. So im gonna keep cheering and keep hoping he improves and cleans up what needs cleaning.

Why isn't Tanney scanning the field? He is looking at a new D every week and is learning the speed of the game - he has very little experience - Jim1 has an agenda

Back
Top Bottom