Walter Football Consensus Mock Draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Walter Football Consensus Mock Draft

I didn't like those 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle numbers. Shows poor COD and acceleration IMO. Collins put up some nice numbers but I don't like what I see on tape with him. I still think Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is our best fit. I also like Charles Gaines as a 3rd or 4th rounder to develop. We need two CBs in this draft IMO. Steven Nelson, Craig Mager, Ronald Darby and Kevin Johnson are also intriguing prospects.

I think we should go DT at #14...Malcolm Brown comes to mind...unless Kevin White, Amari Cooper or DeVante Parker are there at #14 and then take Ekpre-Olomu at #47 and draft a CB later as well in the 4th round or so.

We could also go with Scherff but I don't think he makes it to #14. There are a lot of variables here. If Tennessee really takes Mariota at #2 then the Jets would most likely take a WR like Cooper or White which means Parker will probably end up in Minnesota and all 3 WRs are gone. Let me think about this.

1. Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston
2. Tennessee - Marcus Mariota
3. Jacksonville - Leonard Williams
4. Oakland - Amari Cooper
5. Washington - Dante Fowler
6. Jets - Kevin White
7. Chicago - Danny Shelton
8. Atlanta - Vic Beasley
9. Giants - La'el Collins
10. St. Louis - Andrus Peat
11. Minnesota - DeVante Parker
12. Cleveland - DGB (they're that dumb...but seriously Cleveland needs a WR, a QB, TE, DL, ILB)
13. New Orleans - Trae Waynes
14. Miami - ???

I think Malcom Brown is very, very likely for Miami.

yeah his standing broad jump and vertical i expect big numbers...you don't explode like that guy does from stand still position and not have serious physical abilities...vertical and that jump big numbers...and not many guys are wired like that thru the whistle...he is as high motor as they come...and he closes to the qb in a hurry

that guy gets tackles attention...although he doesnt have much answer when his initial rush is nullified his tools are of the level where he can develop in that regard

Yeah I expect Ray to destroy his pro day…best get off in the draft..followed closely with Beasley. Both of those guys have similar question marks as whether they could hold up as 4-3 ends though…both right about 6'3 and 245. Whatever Id chance it with those tools and production. We aren't talking Dion Jordan where we are hoping he can be a pass rusher…no those guys we know can get after the QB.

Yeah I expect Ray to destroy his pro day…best get off in the draft..followed closely with Beasley. Both of those guys have similar question marks as whether they could hold up as 4-3 ends though…both right about 6'3 and 245. Whatever Id chance it with those tools and production. We aren't talking Dion Jordan where we are hoping he can be a pass rusher…no those guys we know can get after the QB.

Beasley belongs as a 34 olb...he doesnt have the body to play a 43 de every down...movement skills wise thats 34 olb all day long...you coukd try it at strong in a 43 on early downs and hope it developed for off the los and then rush it on the edge in the sub but ideally thats wolb in a 34

One good thing i see is the rb class was slow...which means if miami wants to get something that can help us we can wait on it...and likley to day 3 before the pickins get slim...the way that group ran id drop all of them a round...dont take any 4.6 or close to it or worse which the class is littered with in the top 50

The only 2 guys that should carry top 50 grades are gordon and gurley if the medicals a go

1. Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston
2. Tennessee - Marcus Mariota
3. Jacksonville - Leonard Williams
4. Oakland - Amari Cooper
5. Washington - Dante Fowler
6. Jets - Kevin White
7. Chicago - Danny Shelton
8. Atlanta - Vic Beasley
9. Giants - La'el Collins
10. St. Louis - Andrus Peat
11. Minnesota - DeVante Parker
12. Cleveland - DGB (they're that dumb...but seriously Cleveland needs a WR, a QB, TE, DL,ILB)
13. New Orleans - Trae Waynes
14. Miami - ???

If the first picks did play out this way I would have no problem drafting Iowa's Brandon Scherff and playing him at guard. Draft a middle linebacker in the second round and then go from there.

43 olbs that are pass rushers in our scheme are just overload and blitz guys anyways...they arent beat nfl tackles off the edge with pass rush arsenal...they are gap blitzers and overload...miami needs more comfortable guys playing off the los at lb although at strong we got plenty of options already...bank on mccain and jordan developing...jordan if they move him full time and drop the bad weight can play it i have no doubts...just give him a read and diag at mike next to him and jordan also can be a starting sub package lb with jenkins if need be...the options outside are in house

Jordan still worries me basically with his lack of discipline and awareness in the running game though still... i am going by what i saw last year basically... but he really needs to improve there if its going to work having him as an OLB. he needs to understand responsibilities, read, not over pursue and take poor angles, etc.... i'm really hoping he can learn quick and get his body ready as well, but its still a ? in my mind.

he can cover i noticed that... he is a great athlete too we all know. its just his technique and reading abilities isnt there

Bud Dupree: he doesnt good strength at all upper body, actually seen him get blocked onto his butt a bit too. He locks on with his hands, but doesnt disengage from blocks at all... kind of just hangs out. His reading and awreness isnt great either, he takes poor angles and doesnt flow with the ball. Now with the pass rush he does have ability and athleticism once again, but watch his rush the edge, he doesnt dip, rip around the corner to get right at the QB... he rounds it off basically, but he seems to always keep moving to try and make the play. he needs to learn how to use his hands and obtain a variety of moved. he is very raw... work in progress with upside.

now once again... a #14 pick???

I'd just remind you that you're not drafting the 2014 player. You're drafting the player and what he's likely to become. While waiting on some more results from Gregory, and any results from Ray, Dupree is comfortably the #2 edge rusher in the class, and you can make a case that he should be #1. Those tools don't fail in the NFL. Eventually, he's probably a DE. He has the size for it, despite below average arm length, but I think the NFL is too smart to let him fall to Miami at 14. Between the Redskins, Jets, Bears, and Falcons, one of those teams goes Dupree. I think people don't understand that you're talking about a more explosive athlete as an edge rusher than we've seen in recent years - more than guys like Orakpo, Merriman, Wake, Collins, or Houston.

I understand that we have a few guys who could play SLB and do it alright, but when you're picking in the 1st RD, you want great players. Dupree, if available, will have the best chance of becoming a great player, and there's virtually no bust risk with him. I like many of the CB's projected between the 2nd-5th RD better than Waynes. I like some of the WR's projected in the 2nd and 3rd RD about as much as I do Parker, and we're not landing Cooper or White. You can go DT with Brown or Carl Davis (unlikely), but they have more limited upsides and a greater chance of busting than Dupree.

Breaking down #14 into positions:

QB: No
RB: No
WR: No unless Cooper or White are available
TE: No
OL: No unless La'el Collins is available and maybe to Jake Fisher
DT: Maybe to Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman, and Carl Davis - and I'll throw my boy Xavier Cooper into the mix
Edge: Yes to Dupree and maybe to Ray and Gregory - no to Fowler
LB: No
CB : Maybe to Jalen Collin or Kevin Johnson - no to Waynes
S: No

I'd just remind you that you're not drafting the 2014 player. You're drafting the player and what he's likely to become. While waiting on some more results from Gregory, and any results from Ray, Dupree is comfortably the #2 edge rusher in the class, and you can make a case that he should be #1. Those tools don't fail in the NFL. Eventually, he's probably a DE. He has the size for it, despite below average arm length, but I think the NFL is too smart to let him fall to Miami at 14. Between the Redskins, Jets, Bears, and Falcons, one of those teams goes Dupree. I think people don't understand that you're talking about a more explosive athlete as an edge rusher than we've seen in recent years - more than guys like Orakpo, Merriman, Wake, Collins, or Houston.

I understand that we have a few guys who could play SLB and do it alright, but when you're picking in the 1st RD, you want great players. Dupree, if available, will have the best chance of becoming a great player, and there's virtually no bust risk with him. I like many of the CB's projected between the 2nd-5th RD better than Waynes. I like some of the WR's projected in the 2nd and 3rd RD about as much as I do Parker, and we're not landing Cooper or White. You can go DT with Brown or Carl Davis (unlikely), but they have more limited upsides and a greater chance of busting than Dupree.

Breaking down #14 into positions:

QB: No
RB: No
WR: No unless Cooper or White are available
TE: No
OL: No unless La'el Collins is available and maybe to Jake Fisher
DT: Maybe to Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman, and Carl Davis - and I'll throw my boy Xavier Cooper into the mix
Edge: Yes to Dupree and maybe to Ray and Gregory - no to Fowler
LB: No
CB : Maybe to Jalen Collin or Kevin Johnson - no to Waynes
S: No

If were talking about raw physical pass rushers, shouldn't we be talking about Owa > Dupree?

I've had Owa as a 1st rnd pick for awhile now, but I wouldn't take either player 14. I don't really see the same player in Dupree you do, is there specific games against higher level of competition that you would point to? The games I saw against legit comp, I didn't see any if this raw ability you keep pointing to, and his motor was non existent.

One good thing i see is the rb class was slow...which means if miami wants to get something that can help us we can wait on it...and likley to day 3 before the pickins get slim...the way that group ran id drop all of them a round...dont take any 4.6 or close to it or worse which the class is littered with in the top 50

The only 2 guys that should carry top 50 grades are gordon and gurley if the medicals a go
If they don't walk away with at least one back from this class they should all be fired. Deepest class in years…you have to go with the strength of the draft in that case. Plus you got Lamar Miller in his final year. If its me I would even consider taking two…one in the first 3 rounds and then another in in the 6-7th.

Now I will say this. In coverage Jalen Collins has really impressed me watching film. He's not a terrible tackler either if the play is in front of him. If he has make a tackle downfield though? yeesh

If they don't walk away with at least one back from this class they should all be fired. Deepest class in years…you have to go with the strength of the draft in that case. Plus you got Lamar Miller in his final year. If its me I would even consider taking two…one in the first 3 rounds and then another in in the 6-7th.

it depends on the board but i'd say look to day 3 when it comes to the rb position...the speed those guys ran as a whole is late day 2 early day 3 i'd say...and the ones that did run fast langford for instance doesnt play anywhere near that explosive or fast...david johnson and ajayi are probably late 2 's early 3's...abdullah theres no way with 24 fumbles in college i'd take that...no way...that numbers staggering

i say day 3 at running back is where miami should be looking...ideal scenario...slow class...4th round i'd expect to see good value still...it was 4.6 all over the place

it depends on the board but i'd say look to day 3 when it comes to the rb position...the speed those guys ran as a whole is late day 2 early day 3 i'd say...and the ones that did run fast langford for instance doesnt play anywhere near that explosive or fast...david johnson and ajayi are probably late 2 's early 3's...abdullah theres no way with 24 fumbles in college i'd take that...no way...that numbers staggering

i say day 3 at running back is where miami should be looking...ideal scenario...slow class...4th round i'd expect to see good value still...it was 4.6 all over the place
I'm on the David Cobb bandwagon. He reminds me of Alfred Morris.

I think RB is one of the easiest positions for find late round gems...The only one I take high is Gurley...he's special, but that is it...

Back
Top Bottom